CONCERT REPORT: New Orleans, LA - March 28, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
mnkyface

Re: CONCERT REPORT: New Orleans, LA - March 28, 2013

Post by mnkyface »

Roscoe Beck flat on the deck with what appears to be a nasty bit of stomach flu. The band is going to have to scramble to keep the encores coming.
So did the encores happen without Roscoe?? Looking forward to reports.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks Henry/Wirebird!
Wirebird wrote:New Orleans, Mahalia Jackson Theatre, March 28th, 2013

First set:
1. Dance me to the end of love
2. The future
3. Bird on a wire
4. Everybody knows
5. Who by fire
6. The darkness
7. Ain't no cure for love
8. Amen
9. Come healing
10. Democracy
11. A thousand kisses deep (recitation)
12. Anthem

Second set:
13. Tower of song
14. Suzanne
15. Waiting for the miracle
16. Show me the place
17. Anyhow
18. Lover, lover, lover
19. Alexandra leaving
20. I'm your man
21. Hallelujah
22. Take this waltz

Encores:
23. So long, Marianne
24. Going home
25. If it be your will
26. Save the last dance for me
27. Closing time
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The Times-Picaynne -
http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/201 ... a_sta.html
Spirituality, Sex, Wit and a Staggering Legacy: Leonard Cohen at the Mahalia Jackson Theater

(Gallery by Erika Goldring)

Alison Fensterstock, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Alison Fensterstock, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on March 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM, updated March 29, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Leonard Cohen’s first-ever New Orleans concert Thursday night was, I think most would agree, transcendent; over the course of nearly three hours and a satisfying number of familiar songs, he and his band hit the mark of reverence, humor, ribaldry and general intimacy with the nearly sold-out theater even while battling a well-publicized group flu.

Did it add extra impact that the show took place between Passover and Easter weekend? Yes, probably; the content of the show resonated with a passionate crowd already well versed in the intense spirituality of Mr. Cohen’s work.

Those with more out-and-about time in them joined singer Emily Roberston after the fact for a tribute concert at the Saturn Bar that included local underground singer-songwriters Jayson Knox, Micah McKee and others that honored Cohen well into the first hours of Friday morning.

Did you attend the show at the Mahalia Jackson Theater, the tribute show at Saturn Bar, or like me, both? Please share your thoughts while I collect my own for a longer commentary.
Also - from the same paper - a slideshow of 8 pictures -
http://photos.nola.com/4500/gallery/leo ... index.html
Photos - NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune - By Erika Goldring
Gallery: Leonard Cohen at Mahalia Jackson Theater (8 photos)
Description: Leonard Cohen plays his first New Orleans concert Thursday, March 28, at Mahalia
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

they did´nt play "first we take manhattan"???
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

mnkyface wrote:
Roscoe Beck flat on the deck with what appears to be a nasty bit of stomach flu. The band is going to have to scramble to keep the encores coming.
So did the encores happen without Roscoe?? Looking forward to reports.
oblivion wrote:they did´nt play "first we take manhattan"???
I'm guessing that no "Manhattan" would be related to Roscoe being ill.-
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

oh, yes, it needs the bass...but we still don´t know if he was missing...
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Set list:

Dance me
Future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
Darkness
Ain't no cure
Amen
Come healing
Democracy
Thousand kisses deep
Anthem

Tower of song
Suzanne
Waiting for the miracle
Show me the place
Anyhow
Lover lover lover
Alexandra leaving
I'm your man
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

So long marianne
If it be your will
Save the last dance
Going home
Closing time
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

From Joey's 'Notes From the Road'

Better Out Than In

Well, that’s my stance and i’m sticking near it. Roscoe is looking better, fluids dripping and then back to hotel. Pretty bog standard food poisoning it seems. Hey, it happens.

9 hours ago

1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

No Banjo for New Orleans then. Doesn't look as if Leonard is of a mind to change anything at the moment .....

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://theadvocate.com/news/5572320-123 ... -like-show
Review: Cohen Gives a Church-Service-Like Show

By John Wirt
Music critic
March 29, 2013

NEW ORLEANS — Much of Leonard Cohen’s Thursday night concert at the Mahalia Jackson Theater had the reverent tone of a religious service. The reverence wasn’t directed toward a deity, however, but to music and to exquisitely shaped words expressed in song and to the unfathomable mysteries that accompany the human heart.

The gracious Cohen served as the evening’s minster of music. Wearing an elegantly simple dark suit and fedora, the 78-year-old singer-songwriter-poet often sank to his knees. Holding his microphone in his two hands, he looked like a man engaged in fervent prayer.

During “Ain’t No Cure for Love,” Cohen turned to his celestial trio of backup singers — Charley and Hattie Webb, aka the Webb Sisters, and his longtime collaborator, Sharon Robinson — and said, “Tell them, angels.”

Cohen’s songs, often but not always performed at stately, brooding tempos, do resemble prayers. “Bird on a Wire,” one his classics, certainly has the gravitas of prayer, and Thursday’s performance of the song had the tone of a hymn. But Cohen being Cohen, the performance of “Amen,” a song from his 2012 album, “Old Ideas,” existed somewhere between a house of worship and a cabaret.

Cohen’s minimalist singing style is closer to speaking, or praying, than singing. Adding more weight to his lyrics and music, the years have deepened his voice from a soft baritone to a rumbling bass.

A sincere Cohen expressed his gratitude to his enraptured audience multiple times through his marathon concert.

“Thank you, friends, very much for your kindness,” he said early in a concert that began at 8:20 p.m. and ended shortly before 11 p.m. “I don’t know when we will meet again. No one ever knows that. But tonight I promise you, we will give you everything we’ve got.”

He kept the promise. Cohen and his amazing band, as well as Robinson and the Webb sisters, delivered exquisite performances of Cohen classics as well as songs from the recent “Old Ideas.”

Cohen’s supporting players, including violinist Alexandru Bublichi and Javier Mas (a multi-instrumentalist who plays an arsenal of exotic stringed instruments), were perfectly attuned to his distinctive muse. The troupe’s synchronicity with its leader, no doubt, helped Cohen cast the evening’s hypnotic spell.

Frequently directing the audience’s attention away from himself, Cohen turned to his respective singers and musicians as they soloed, removing his hat and placing it over his heart. For a man of 78, too, he was quite spry, practically running on stage during his entrances and frequently dancing, albeit with economical movements.

Even though the concert’s first half was light on Cohen classics, it still was transporting. So, too, the second half.

Cohen stood in an ethereal spotlight as he sang another of his best-known song, the haunting “Suzanne.” The song also was a rare instance of him accompanying himself with guitar.

The second half also saw him performing the best-known song in his catalog, “Hallelujah.” During the song’s chorus, lights turned upon the audience, as if Cohen was engaging his congregation in a mass embrace. “Hallelujah” received an especially moving performance within this extraordinarily engaging concert.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

oblivion wrote:they did´nt play "first we take manhattan"???
For the first time since the song was written, according to the known setlists!!
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

Some videos from the concert in Mahalia Jackson Theater in New Orleans:

Everybody Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VowuPKPoJ8

Ain`t No Cure For Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o11G2OHTLtw

Come Healing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGoCYaLFxSM

Tower Of Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=399aauVjXV4

Alexandra Leaving (Sharon Robinson)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNn1xgVkS8

If It Be Your Will (The Webb Sisters)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZEG_5vDSoY

Save The Last Dance For Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ge205kNXzI

Closing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGUXIGLjkw
85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Thank you Henry for all fantastic videos.
Marina
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you so much, wirebird, for posting the links to these wonderful videos - I`m looking much foreward to June, Leonard being in Germany; until than, I often will have a look at them!
dari

Post by dari »

Wirebird wrote:Some videos from the concert in Mahalia Jackson Theater in New Orleans:
Wirebird,

Your video of Everybody Knows has had the sound muted by YouTube. :(
I went to look at it the other night and it was blocked totally. Then I went back later and found the video without the sound.

Dari

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”