Anyone going to New Orleans?

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
joyezekiel

Anyone going to New Orleans?

Post by joyezekiel »

We would love to meet up with anyone who will be in New Orleans next week..... for a drink or dinner..... or just a chat. We will be arriving on Thursday afternoon and probably staying until Sunday morning.

Joy and Mark
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
ladydi

Re: Anyone going to New Orleans?

Post by ladydi »

Joy, I wish I could meet up with you and Mark, but I'm not able to make it to New Orleans. A combination of work, and concern for the 91-year-old mother of a dear friend of mine. I do have a wonderful seat in row 2 (slightly to the left) but as it's will-call I'm unable to sell it, and I haven't really seen that much chatter on the forum about New Orleans. For some reason I thought this would be a prime venue....jazz town, blues town, music town, and Leonard Cohen! But only a few forum members are attending. I know it will be an awesome concert and really look forward to your review. My heart will be with you, and hopefully someone in the back can quietly slip up to that empty seat in row 2.....
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

Hello Joy, Rick and I will be in New Orleans. Would love to meet up for dinner or a drink. We arrive Thursday as well. I could PM you once we are settled on Thursday.
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

Oh yeah, as I sit here now we just left the Miami concert. Oh my!! It was absolutely fantastic.
Barbara
we are so lightly here

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Diana - I'm sorry you can't make it to New Orleans, and sorry we won't be meeting. Like you, I'm surprised there isn't more activity going on around the NO concert, but then it is Easter weekend so maybe people have other plans.....

Barbara - it would be great to meet for dinner! I'll PM you with my cellphone number and we can touch base when we arrive.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Those of you planning to stay in N.O. for a few days, don't forget to take your photo with our patron saint---the Maid of Orleans, Joan of Arc. You'll find a huge golden monument of her on horseback in the tiny park on Decatur Street (pronounced De-KAY-ter). My favorite cheap Cajun eatery with great people and excellent jukebox, Coop's Place, is a short walk down Decatur. Decatur crosses Esplanade and becomes Frenchmen St, many great clubs there. Snug Harbor,always somebody great playing, and Cafe Brasil, where you can dance. (Stay in well lit areas. Armed robbers prey on tourists, and they will shoot you dead, no lie.) Another beautifully painted statue of Joan of Arc in military garb, standing, with flag, is inside the St. Louis Cathedral, which is behind the Jackson Square Park, also on Decatur. Go inside the Cathedral so the pews are in front of you, then turn around and there she is. Enjoy strolling the French Quarter and don't miss Friday or Saturday night jazz at Preservation Hall, on St. Peter Street. Another fun place I've been often is the lounge on the fourth (?) floor of the Ritz Hotel, Canal St. They rock the rafters up there, somebody good is always playing, usually no cover charge; and right down the corridor from that lounge, you'll often find another band rocking, with swing dancers jumping and jiving in zoot suits and porkpie hats. In front of the Ritz, is a statue of a strange looking fat dude. He's Ignatius P. Reilly, the fictitious hero of the famous New Orleans novel, Confederacy of Dunces. During the day, you can go to the Riverwalk at the end of Canal Street, where you can catch a ride (not cheap) up the river and back on a paddlewheeler. On Sunday there are churches galore with outstanding music; Catholic Easter services will be very long. Numerous restauraunts offer Sunday jazz brunches--I love the Court of Two Sisters on Royal Street--- and early Sunday afternoon there's Congo Square--a bit past the Mahalia Jackson theater where LC is playing---where there's drumming and wailing and the voodoo priestesses will chant and dance and generally blow your mind. Have fun, y'all!
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

Thanks Squidgy! Great info for our long weekend in your city. Much appreciated - especially that part about avoiding dark and lonely streets! Don't wanna get deaded. :-/

Barbara
Barbara
we are so lightly here

TowerOfCirce

Post by TowerOfCirce »

Hi yall! This is actually only my second post on this lovely forum. After I bought tickets to the nola show I went looking for an LC forum, and here I landed! I'm a nola native and always said if he every came down here, I'd find a way to go no matter what. So as soon as I heard tickets were on sale I was all over that! I was so excited that I bought 2 tickets without even knowing who I was gonna take (though I considered buying just one for myself.) I'm the youngest LC fan I know as none of my fellow 20-somethings "get" him, but I think I may take my mom. She's the one who originally turned me onto him. Despite there not being much buzz about him being in town, I hear the concert is almost sold out, so there you go. LC fans are everywhere, even f under the radar!
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

Hello TowerofCirce. Another NOLA native, huh? My husband and I are meeting my brother-in-law and his wife, who are Houma natives, for the concert. This will be their first LC concert too. Very excited! We are going to try to meet with Joyezekiel and her husband for a pre concert drink. Would love to have you and your friend join us. I will be in town fairly early on Thursday and plan on checking out some of the places Squidgy recommended (thanks Squidgy :D ). Maybe you have some ideas within walking distance of the theater? in any case -- enjoy!
Barbara
we are so lightly here

BHuddle

Post by BHuddle »

Welcome to anyone coming in town for the show! I'm local, as I saw some others here on the Forum. Traveled twice to see LC in other cities and was very excited when this show was announced. Don't know what any of us can do this late for folks traveling in, but let me chime in with the others - just ask! New Orleanians love our city like residents of few other places do!

- Brian
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

We plan to be in NO mid-afternoon. Will probably have eaten already, so if anyone is up for pre-concert drinks that would be great! Barbara (Hydrogal) and I have exchanged cellphone numbers, so anyone else interested in meeting up please pm her or me and we can hopefully liaise.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Joy
BHuddle

Post by BHuddle »

7+ hours to tonight's show here in New Orleans. Been reading the road blog:

http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/tour/roadblog

And was wondering if they were going to post a graphic/poster for our fair city like they've done for some over venues. In the meantime, I made my own:
Cohen-NOLA-03-28-13-small.jpg
I'm no artist, but I thought it turned out OK.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Great poster! Thanks for sharing it. It feels as though it belongs next to Joey's poster in the concert thread.

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”