CONCERT REPORT: Victoria, Canada - Mar 6 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
Tess Durbeyfield

CONCERT REPORT: Victoria, Canada - Mar 6 2013

Post by Tess Durbeyfield »

Victoria, Canada - March 6, 2013

:roll: Welcome to Canada where cultural events take place in ice hockey arenas
On the upside, Leonard shoots and scores!

No cooler cat than Leonard Cohen

Adrian Chamberlain / Victoria Times Colonist - March 6, 2013

Leonard Cohen's voice has aged into a worn-leather bass that, emanating from well-like depths, might pass for the weary voice of God. The 78-year-old singer thrilled a a sold-out crowd at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre in Victoria on Wednesday night.

These days, it seems there are legions of older gents concertizing like nobody’s business.

There’s Bob Dylan, who’s 71. There’s 79-year-old Willy Nelson. And there is Tony Bennett, who is 86.

For my money, there is no cooler grey-haired cat than Leonard Cohen. The 78-year-old’s lyrics are witty and profound. His voice has aged into a worn-leather bass that, emanating from well-like depths, might pass for the weary voice of God.

And Cohen — who last night in Victoria was fedoraed and nattily suited as usual — radiates a hip Euro-sensibility that’s tough to beat. Backed by his crack nine-piece band, the bolo-tied one played for a sold-out crowd of 6,000.

He launched the show with Dance Me to the End of Love. Buoyed by Alexandru Bublitchi’s violin flourishes, the song is a passionate celebration of carnal delights.

“I don’t know when we’ll meet again,” Cohen solemnly announced to the crowd afterwards. “No one knows that. But I can promise you tonight we’ll give everything we got.”

The Future followed, its brisk tempo and chirpy Hammond licks offset by the song’s grim prediction of fascistic happenings. “I’ve seen the future – and it’s murder!” sang Cohen who changed the song’s infamous reference to crack and anal sex to “crack and careless sex.”

Cohen performed for a polite, reverent audience at Save-on-Foods arena last night. He certainly wasn’t going through the motions. He often cradled the microphone, eyes half closed. Sometimes he sank to his knees. Unlike the late-career Frank Sinatra, he appears not to use a teleprompter. The sound balance was terrific — the best I’ve heard at the arena.

It was a good night.

Impressively, he’s been touring the globe regularly since 2008. And that followed a 15-year absence.

In between visits to this city (he was last here in 2010), Cohen has recorded a strong and compelling album. Old Ideas takes an unflinching look at mortality — not surprising for an artist approaching his ninth decade. For this seasoned troubadour, it’s not new territory. However, the road’s end seems ever closer.

From Old Ideas we heard The Darkness, which emanates a tail-end of life vibe. In the song, which was well received, Cohen portrays a man who’s lost his taste for life’s physical pleasures. “I don’t miss it baby, I got no taste for anything at all.”

Afterwards, the singer poked fun at all his doom and gloom, remarking: “I go to the mirror, I look at my melancholy face. And I say to myself, lighten up Cohen for Christsakes.”

From the new disc we also heard Show Me the Place.

Here Cohen portrays a humble supplicant who asks: “Show me the place where you want your slave to go.”

Seraphic vocal harmonies, contrasted by Cohen's gritty timbre, made for a powerful performance.

One of the concerts most moving sequences was his recitation, with minimal accompaniment, of of A Thousand Kisses Deep. “The band is playing Auld Lang Syne but the heart will not retreat,” intoned the wise one.

Cohen produced a funny little keyboard for the Tower of Song. After he played a simple solo, the crowd applauded.

“Are you humouring me, because I’m an old man?" he asked, smiling.

This was followed by another highlight, Suzanne, with Cohen accompanying himself with arpeggiated figures on his acoustic guitar.

Just like the old days.

Performing with Cohen is his excellent band: keyboardist Neil Larsen, bassist Roscoe Beck, guitarist Mitch Watkins, drummer Rafael Gayol and Javier Mas on acoustic guitar, bandurria, laud and archilaud. Singing impeccable background, once again, were Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters (Charley and Hattie).
Last edited by Tess Durbeyfield on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:30 am, edited 10 times in total.
Citizen_Kane

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Victoria, Canada - Mar 6 2013

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Hi Tess,

Thank you for posting this review and the setlist.
One question though: the review states that Show Me The Place was played, but it is not in the setlist you posted. Any idea if the author of the review is mistaken?
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
Tess Durbeyfield

Cit-Kane..

Excellent catch. :!:

I am in Canada, but half a continent away from Victoria, and did not attend this event.
I relied on http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=leonard+cohen+2013 for the set list.
There is clearly a disconnect - either the reviewer or the setlister are mistaken.
I'm guessing we need someone who was actually on site to clarify this one. :?: Is there anyone out there?
In the meanwhile, bookmark UHTC roadie, Leif Bodnarchuk --> http://dragonhelm.wordpress.com/
Last edited by Tess Durbeyfield on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Aha! Well, let's wait for a response from someone on the forum who attended this show.
Thanks for the reply!
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some video - uploaded by repenttt - Thanks!

March 6

Going Home + Exit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PurNaRYJlpw

First We Take Manhattan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrWRnZwR0g

So Long Marianne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKMSCR2RSNM

From Setlist.fm - a revised set list that includes "Show Me The Place"
Revisions posted 3/8/2013 by "altmananderson" -
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/leonard-c ... b706e.html

First Set
Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
Who by Fire
Darkness
Ain't No Cure for Love
Amen
Come Healing
In My Secret Life
A Thousand Kisses Deep @Info[recitation]
Anthem

Second Set
Tower of Song
Suzanne
Waiting for the Miracle
Show Me the Place
Anyhow
Lover Lover Lover
Democracy
Alexandra Leaving [performed by Sharon Robinson]
I'm Your Man
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz

Encore
So Long, Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will [performed by the Webb Sisters]
Closing Time

Encore 3
I Tried to Leave You
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

The set list is not correct. I'll doublecheck and post the details. They did play Show Me the Place...
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Tess Durbeyfield

In addition, I have poked the reviewer and followers for confirmation...
Thanks for this...
holydove

Post by holydove »

Tower of Song is also missing from the setlist! Seems very unlikely that he didn't do that one, plus it's also mentioned in the review.
Tess Durbeyfield

Oh my, we're going from bad to worse in a hurry :cry:
mutti

Post by mutti »

I have to start this by saying I was not at the concert last night in Victoria. I know of at least 4 forum members who were there so hopefully they will start posting soon.
I received 2 emails today from my friend (Margo) who was there and as we haven't heard much yet I feel I have to post it.
She was there in 2010 and was not going to go this time....I couldn't stop smiling when I read this, I felt I have to share it...
thanks Leslie
Hi Les,
Well, believe it or not, yesterday morning some friends offered us their Leonard tickets! We were thrilled, having previously decided not to go, I was regretting it at the last minute.

It was a spectacular evening. I have to say I enjoyed it even more than last time he was here. So, we have a few questions. Does he always talk about the seagull on his window sill, feeding it his breakfast and his iPad? And does he always laugh when playing the little keyboard, telling the audience that we're humouring him?

He got numerous standing ovations throughout the whole evening and did 3 encores (each one was 2 or 3 songs) - that seemed pretty planned, based on which songs he did when. It was SO fabulous. He played till 11:40 pm (from 8:15). I guess that's standard. What amazing energy he has - I was exhausted and all I did was sit in a seat and adore him. But they all have such a way of making us feel like it's the best concert they ever put on. I love it!!!

When will you see him next?
Love,
Margo
When I asked her about the seagull story she wrote the following:
He told a story that one thing he loves about touring in Canada is coming to Victoria (tho it's been a while) and that this seagull always lands on his windowsill. He's sure it's the same one (white with streaks of grey). Yesterday morning he fed it and it always wants more, so he kept feeding it his breakfast and it ate his toast and his eggs and everything and still wanted more so he fed it his iPad. He was laughing while he was telling it and everyone was laughing with him (onstage and audience). It was so sweet. And I guess it's now a Victoria story!

What about laughing and joking when he's playing his keyboard? Have you seen him do that?
xo
M.

1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

I wasn't surprised when I read your friend's story, Les. ;-)
have a look on the pictures Charlie and Hattie posted on their FB wall :lol: :lol:

2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Tess Durbeyfield

The Victoria setlist that I posted earlier is clearly incorrect and, therefore, I have deleted that posting.
I guess we have to do without until the correct one surfaces.

Show Me The Place was performed.
I have confirmation from a couple of concert attendees.
The take-it-to-the-bank evidence is the following eloquent note from UHTC roadie LB
Leif on March 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

Hiya Tess...

SMTP was definitely played. On the setlist it was contained in brackets (meaning a maybe) but then was busted out of parenthetical prison by the Jailbreaker.
rike

Post by rike »

Thank you for sharing your friend's seagull story as told by LC, Leslie. Absolutely delightful.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Tess Durbeyfield wrote:Victoria, Canada - March 6, 2013

No cooler cat than Leonard Cohen

Adrian Chamberlain / Victoria Times Colonist - March 6, 2013

Unlike the late-career Frank Sinatra, he appears not to use a teleprompter. The sound balance was terrific — the best I’ve heard at the arena.
He often sings with closed eyes - so a teleprompter would be of little use! No doubt he has a terrific memory and a sharp mind if softer spirit
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for sharing your friend's experience & the seagull story - I love it!! That is one smart seagull, & now we have proof that humans are not the only species whose members wait for Leonard to return. . .

Thank you also for your delightful reviews in the Oakland thread - I enjoyed reading them & so glad that you were able to be there.

Hope to see you somewhere soon. . .

Rachel

Also, thank you to Beatriz for posting the wonderful photos of the seagull eating Leonard's toast on the windowsill - fabulous!!

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”