The songs, the songs...

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
scocoh

The songs, the songs...

Post by scocoh »

Well, here we go again folks. After all the surprise (U.S.) and consternation (Europe/UK) over the last few months, the tour is now on again and as the excitement builds--- some of the usual questions pop up. Tickets, flights and hotels are booked, others lucky enough to have the tour come to their town are planning their days. One day soon many of us will put all the ticket headaches, price grumbling, venue discussions, etc aside and sit in our seat and the lights will dim.

Which songs will we hear?

Tina, knowing I had heard one of our favorites-- Born In Chains-- last time I was at the Paramount, asked if I thought we'd be lucky enough to hear it again this year. I told her I doubted it, but would be overjoyed to hear it again in person.

So what would you like to hear? What do you expect? Will the setlist be the same as before the break?
mnkyface

Re: The songs, the songs...

Post by mnkyface »

I'd give anything to hear Memories. I hope he brings back Light As the breeze, since he wasn't doing it anymore by the time I saw him on the last leg.

I'm also currently obsessed with the idea of him covering this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUP8oc9Bgs
It would be a good replacement for Save the Last Dance (not that I'll complain if he continues to sing that...)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by MaryB »

Oh my gosh Scott -

Do I Have to Dance All Night
The Window
Light As the Breeze
Joan of Arc (with Sharon)
The Faith
Fingerprints
Memories
Ballad of the Absent Mare (now that I have the lyrics down pat thanks to your version Esther ;-) )
Different Sides
Diamonds in the Mine
The Captain
Because Of
and a recitation of the phone book.......and I know I'm forgetting other songs - I plead old age
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'll go with Mary's list... and always Always ALWAYS "A Thousand Kisses Deep" recitation.
And, at the end, the Four Blessings, which includes those who are alone.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

I'll be happy if he sings Suzanne and Hallelujah.

:-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hahah, Hartmut ~ You're easy to please. Count me in on that, though... I'm happy if he walks out on the stage. Speaking of that, my only wish has been that he would stand there and drink in our joy and applause at just seeing him for longer, like he used to when he first started touring. It was so gratifying seeing his beaming smile and sparkling eyes. You could see his joy at finally having arrived at where he had been trying to get for so long. Now, having read Sylvie's book, I can appreciate it even more. This latest time around, I felt in some odd way like his having cut short this segment was like our being a parent or grandparent having given a gift to a child who is clearly overjoyed to get it and just seeing their face which so graphically communicates that be visible only for a few moments. I LOVED seeing Leonard standing there just looking up into the audience and drinking it in. This last time around, I kept thinking, please don't begin singing quite so soon. Please stand there and let US take in your joy a little longer.

It's true, of course, that his "get down to business" approach may end up meaning more songs for us.
~ Oscar Wilde
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Your comment reminded me of a photo I took at the beginning of the 2nd Toronto concert last year where Leonard did pause a little at the start. He was smiling and enjoying the audience reception but then for a moment he stood like this and I loved it.
Toronto 2 (21).jpg
Back on subject and while I love all the suggestions I'd also love to hear One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong.
Last edited by musicmania on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, on Memories, as well.

WoW, musicmania... what a GREAT capture of Leonard! I would have loved seeing that moment, too!!! Drinking it in very internally and preparing to proceed.

Oh, YES, on One of Us Cannot Be Wrong! And, having just read about Javier doing an acoustic version of it in Madrid, must add Passing Through! It would be a sing-along for sure!
~ Oscar Wilde
holydove

Post by holydove »

To name but a few of the many I'd love to hear:

I'm dying for him to bring back Crazy To Love You & Light As The Breeze.

And from the past - One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong, Iodine, The Window, & dare I say it - Master Song (which I know he won't do, but as this is a wishlist, I'm wishing. . .)

And I definitely need him to keep doing Show Me The Place & Different Sides (as well as everything else from Old Ideas).

Editing: I must also add Feels So Good.
Cate

Post by Cate »

oh my gosh,
I suddenly understand my attraction and non attraction to Leonard -- he looks like Father :shock:

I'm hopping for;

Anthem
Who by Fire
Hallelujah
Bango
Alexandra Leaving ( I really liked it with Sharon as well!)

Edit note - I had sad Joan of Arc instead Alexandra Leaving
Last edited by Cate on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hartmut

Re: AW: The songs, the songs...

Post by Hartmut »

I'm confused: Where and when did he sing Joan of Arc together with Sharon?
hazey

Post by hazey »

Hartmut wrote:I'm confused: Where and when did he sing Joan of Arc together with Sharon?
I think he only performed it with Hattie Webb in Portland and Vancouver, am I right?

I'd like to hear:

Show Me The Place
One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
Sisters Of Mercy/Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye (back to back on the first set)
Night Comes On
Famous Blue Raincoat (and more songs from this album :D )
Alexandra Leaving (Sharon)
Joan Of Arc (with Hattie)
A Thousand Kisses Deep
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I think I may have interpreted the original meaning of this topic incorrectly.

My list is of songs that I have never seen performed with the exception of Joan of Arc, which I was fortunate to hear in 1993, with Julie and Perla. This time around, I would love to hear him do it with Sharon.

Hope this clears things up.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

Hartmut wrote:I'm confused: Where and when did he sing Joan of Arc together with Sharon?
What a wonderful evening-- legendary really. It was in Kiev, at the AEG-owned ложный Theater in 2011, which seats a mere 200 people. The Webbs couldn't make it due to visa & petsitting problems, so Sharon did a lot of extras. Tickets were about $19, drinks included. That was the same night Leonard did 'A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes' on the accordion. Sorry-- no existing recordings of the show... too bad you missed it. :(
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Don't worry, scocoh, sometimes I have dreams like that, too ...

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”