Tampa Meetup

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
loska

Tampa Meetup

Post by loska »

Anyone interested in getting together for a dinner before concert in Tampa?
Hope so...
2009 New York, 2009 Tampa, 2012 New York, 2013 Tampa
lizzytysh

Re: Tampa Meetup

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi loska ~

I'm interested and I think that the woman I'm meeting up with to ride partially the way there would be, as well. I'll check with her just to confirm, but she had already expressed her interest in doing that.

Are you in that area, so have ideas already of where to go? I'm quite unfamiliar with Tampa.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
loska

Post by loska »

lizzytysh wrote: I'm interested and I think that the woman I'm meeting up with to ride partially the way there would be, as well. I'll check with her just to confirm, but she had already expressed her interest in doing that.

Are you in that area, so have ideas already of where to go? I'm quite unfamiliar with Tampa.
Hi Lizzy,

My name is Wanda - I will be driving from Sarasota, I don't know Tampa well, but I've been to this area from time to time, with Google and all kinds of restaurant reviews online we will manage for sure, no worry. I will do research, but in a meantime perhaps someone will have suggestions. The concert starts at 8 pm so I suggest we meet at 6 pm or 6:30 in some place that is short walking distance to Venue.

sunny greetings,
Wanda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Wanda ~

I'm not sure what your experience is with these pre-concert meetups, or whether you have to get off work first, so that makes for a later time. My personal suggestion would be to meet up about 5:00, if at all possible. The reasons for that are (1) the need for some to get Will Call tickets (2) wanting to visit the crowded merch stand first (3) NEEDING to be in our seats at 8:00 PM (4) the possible need to walk to the venue (5) the unpredictability of the speed of cooking and service, depending on how busy they are, which is likely (6) how quickly time passes when you get involved in conversations with people you've never met (7) NOT wanting to be stressed about when's the food going to get here; am I going to have to gobble it; am I going to have to leave some of it behind; am I going to have to leave co-diners behind, to guarantee that at least *I* will be on time for everything; the stress of it all can be daunting and then you find yourself in a total rush with everything. So many people here can attest to the truth of that, even to the extent that Dick Straub arranged for a get-together meal the night BEFORE the first concert in New York [that's not my suggestion for Tampa, as it would knock too many out of being able to participate, me included] ~ however, an earlier time would make for a much more leisurely and pleasant get-together... for

When it all comes down to dust, I will leave you if I must, I will rush you if I can.
;-)
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Okay, my roommate said yes, so that's three of us :D .
~ Oscar Wilde
loska

Post by loska »

lizzytysh wrote:I'm not sure what your experience is with these pre-concert meetups, or whether you have to get off work first, so that makes for a later time. My personal suggestion would be to meet up about 5:00, if at all possible. The reasons for that are (1) the need for some to get Will Call tickets (2) wanting to visit the crowded merch stand first (3) NEEDING to be in our seats at 8:00 PM (4) the possible need to walk to the venue (5) the unpredictability of the speed of cooking and service, depending on how busy they are, which is likely (6) how quickly time passes when you get involved in conversations with people you've never met (7) NOT wanting to be stressed about when's the food going to get here; am I going to have to gobble it; am I going to have to leave some of it behind; am I going to have to leave co-diners behind, to guarantee that at least *I* will be on time for everything; the stress of it all can be daunting and then you find yourself in a total rush with everything.
Hi Lizzy, we met for dinner in NYC last December, before the concert at MSG at 5:30 in very busy restaurant, and everybody had plenty of time, even though walking distance was gynourmous to MSG AND in MSG alone - compared with Straz area.

We all got our tickets from Will Call before the dinner and that's what I would advise you to do. Because there closer to the concert the longer the line will be, and it is unpredictable how long it will take. In 2009 they were so unefficient that huge numberof people, me included, got to our seats 10 or 15 minutes after concert started. And we were lucky, because tons of people waited even longer. So that will be huge time saver for you later if you pick up your tiketsas soon as possible.

I myself have already ticket (third row innthe middle - yey!) and I am also not interested in merch stands, saw it all, so from 6 pm for me will be definitely plenty of time. If that is too late for you, you can come with your friend earlier and leave earlier too, I am sure this can be arranged.
Andrea14

Post by Andrea14 »

We all got our tickets from Will Call before the dinner and that's what I would advise you to do. Because there closer to the concert the longer the line will be, and it is unpredictable how long it will take. In 2009 they were so unefficient that huge numberof people, me included, got to our seats 10 or 15 minutes after concert started. And we were lucky, because tons of people waited even longer. So that will be huge time saver for you later if you pick up your tiketsas soon as possible.

I myself have already ticket (third row innthe middle - yey!) and I am also not interested in merch stands, saw it all, so from 6 pm for me will be definitely plenty of time. If that is too late for you, you can come with your friend earlier and leave earlier too, I am sure this can be arranged.
Hi Wanda,
I'm the third fan Lizzy has mentioned- so thought I'd say Hello- I totally missed merchandise at Brooklyn concert despite multi attempts to find it, so I do want to get there early- we'll probably take your idea and go a bit earlier but have that overlap so we can still meet, - being in Fl many years but originally a NYer-, I've got to say the pace here is so way different, so I plan for slower paced possibilities in florida.....
I know Tampa very slightly but you sound more familiar; the Stratz looks great. I know there's lots of great places to eat near the historical Tampa Theatre, but don't know if the Stratz is near same area? Do you have an idea of what would be good restaurant for us all to meet? I look forward to the meetup & hope some others may join us ! Andrea
[PS The 2009 Will call experience - was that at the Stratz? I was expecting they only open an hour before show because that's how Ruth Eckerd and other Fl places I'd been to did Will Call. ]
courage

Post by courage »

same for me regarding both Tampa and Miami. have not yet decided. so I might show up.
19xx - Göteborg
2008 - Got 12 Oct, Sto 15 Oct, CPH 17 Oct, Ham 31 Oct.
2009 - Cologne, Berlin,
2010 - Göteborg
2012 Copenhagen, Alborg, Göteborg
2013 Stockholm, Oslo - August
loska

Post by loska »

Andrea14 wrote: Do you have an idea of what would be good restaurant for us all to meet?
I did some poking around and I feel the best option is the Cafe at The Straz - it under the same roof as Straz, and it is a buffet style, it is ricey compared with other places ($27.50) but I cannot imagine anything more convenient. Reviews are mixed some very good, some not so good - it's good enough for me. I have bad knees and longer walks are very painful - and chosing this location allows usalso to get early great parking space.

They accept reservations online - here is more information:
http://www.strazcenter.org/Plan-Your-Vi ... -Cafe.aspx
Andrea14 wrote: The 2009 Will call experience - was that at the Stratz?
Yes - it was in the same place, as we are going this time!
I am so glad I have my tickets in hand!
loska

Post by loska »

Here are the reviews about The Maestro Cafe and Restaurant I mentioned above:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... orida.html
loska

Post by loska »

Oh well - never mind - just called to confirm and found out that Maestro at Straz will be closed that week.
So, forget all info...

searching for something else.
TonVH

Post by TonVH »

Too bad. We (from the Netherlands) suddenly decided to go for a 2-week holiday to the US/Florida and would gladly have joined.
Andrea14

Post by Andrea14 »

Oh TonV we will still meet up we just have to find the "where" so consider meeting with us; it's not the concert that is off but just the on-site restaurant that is closed that week.
AND WANDA THANKS muchly for the research!-it was a Perfect idea and I appreciated it; I'll research this afternoon and will post what I find- there's got to be lots near the theatre. Lizzytysh has had to be away from computer for few weeks but I am sure we will hear from her soon. Andrea(14)
Brysburg

Post by Brysburg »

As a Tampa resident, I suggest Fly Bar & Restaurant which is a few blocks walking distance to the Straz Theatre. We often go there before shows, park, dine, and walk over to the Straz. Has a rooftop bar, weather permitting. Nice way to avoid traffic in the exodus, too.
loska

Post by loska »

Good news! - Just a moment ago I received email from Straz Center that after all the Maestro's Cafe will be open for the Leonard Cohen concert. I don't know how abou you all, but I would prefer the Maestro Cafe more than the Fly Bar, because its right there at the venue. And they offer buffet-style dining which makes this timing issue with service much more predictable.

Anyway, here is the message I received from Straz:

DINE WITH US BEFORE THE SHOW!
Make a reservation at Maestro’s Café in the lobby of the Carol Morsani Hall, which provides fine buffet dining. Enjoy our exceptional dining experience before the performance. Please make your reservation through the Ticket Office at 813.229.STAR(7827) or reserve online.
http://clicks.skem1.com/trkr/?c=10664&g ... 111&q=&t=1

Maestro's Cafe opens at 5:30 p.m. for the Leonard Cohen concert.
So, who is in with me?

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”