New York Cohen fan dinner, April 5, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
dick

Re: New York Cohen fan dinner, April 5, 2013

Post by dick »

Name Tag Help

Linda and I have opted for a three line name tag.

Top Line -- forum screen name. If none, First name that you want people to call you.

Second Line -- First and Last Names (Full name)

Third line -- Residence info -- City and State for USA, City and Province for Canada, City and country for all others.

Need help with complete name tag info for Emily Foster Redstone, Sylvia Brandt, Lee Kaufman and Margie Kaufman.

Please email info to dickstraub@yahoo.com

We're going to have a grand time I'm sure!
Jemma

Post by Jemma »

awww, I so wish I could join this event as it's my first time to New York and I don't know a soul there! I don't get in until the 6th and will be going to both shows. If anyone is free to meet up on Saturday anytime before the show, I'd love to know :)
Jemma, Vancouver BC
Jemma
dick

Post by dick »

Sorry we will miss you Jemma

Do make time to see Leonard's 75th birthday plaque in front of the Chelsea Hotel.

Hugs
Dick
Jemma

Post by Jemma »

unfortunately no Dick... I've never been to New York. But I did get to see him in Verona, Italy last year and it was just a day after his birthday... but no plaque in Italy!
***I read your response incorrectly, I will definitely make time to visit the plaque in front of the Chelsea Hotel! Thanks for suggesting it ;)

Looks like I'll be missing the 2014 meetup too :( I've already spent a couple of months in Ireland (my heritage) and want to spend time travelling to other parts of Europe. I was really hoping all would end up choosing Croatia! Oh well... I look forward to another place & time to meet LC fans/supporters.
Jemma
dick

Post by dick »

UPDATE

Our number is holding after newbies and dropouts at 28 attendees.

Collectors Item Available --

Offer from Sylvie – One of the bands Sylvie has worked with, fronted by Greg Ashley, has recently recorded the entire “Death of a Ladies Man” album. He has released a limited edition cassette tape, which also includes coding needed to download the material for cd or music player. This is offered as a unique collector’s item for fans.

Sylvie and Greg will make cassettes available for participants at our dinner for only $6 each. Please email her (sylviesimmons@earthlink.net) with your request soon so she can have the correct number with her in NYC.

Chelsea Hotel

I have contacted the Chelsea Hotel and they are willing to let us have brief access to the lobby and a look at the elevators around 9:30 or 10:00 pm on April 5. I asked for an earlier opportunity as well, but was told that construction crew efforts frequently continue until after 7pm.

We are getting close!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

YaY!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

ONE MORE UPDATE

April 1st update (NOT an April Fool’s joke!)

We are expecting 29 definite diners for 7pm April 5th at East of Eighth – 254 W.23rd St.

We have moved our party from the main dining room on the second floor to the Garden Room on the first floor. This makes it an all private gathering, easing any concerns of our entertainers and other customers.

We will need to collect $45 dinner price in cash from each participant as you arrive. The restaurant will keep separate bar tabs for alcoholic beverages. (Note there are ATM’s near the intersection of 23rd St and Eighth Ave in branches for Bank of America, Carver Federal Savings and Loan, Citibank, and Emigrant Savings and Loan.)

Here are the names of expected diners:
Eija Arjatsalo, Jarkko Arjatsalo, Anne Way, Joe Way, Linda Straub, Dick Straub, Esther Cohen, Gwen Langford, Martine Nevens, Manon Alexandrine, Mandy MacLeod, Sue Giffard, Lizzytysh, Wendy Marshall, Ken Kurzweil, Suzanne Sunday, Sylvie Simmons, Emily Foster Redstone, Vlasta Podebradska, Sylvia Brandt, Lee Kaufmann, Margie Kaufmann, Jackie Racque, Christelle, Ken Richard, Ali Hughes, Joan Schneider, Christa Lex, and Lorraine Sexton. Coming with Ali, as possible 30th for dinner will be Brett Avery from Australia.

Hopefully joining us for drinks after dinner will be Leslie (Mutti) and her husband, Marie (Irish Mar) and Albert Noonan, Mary Aaftlak, and Marsha White.

For anyone arriving a day early, there may still be room for you at Sylvie’s word and song performance, 7-9pm on April 4th. Venue is Chez Albert in the Standard Hotel, Lower East Side, 25 Cooper Sq. Sylvie will be joined by indie-rock guitarist Fred Nicolaus. For reservations, which are required, e-mail aohayon@standardhotel.com.)

Looking forward to a great warm-up for the concerts Saturday and Sunday at Radio City!
rike

Post by rike »

Oh, to be in New York now that spring is here... and LC...and all the lovely people who are going to attend.
Wish I were there.
Enjoy every moment of everything!
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

I am unable to attend tonight's dinner, but am interested in meeting up Saturday before the concert for drinks/dinner. If there are any plans regarding a place where the Cohenites will be before Saturday's show, would br grateful for info.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

I hope that you all have a wonderful time. Would love to be there, I will be thinking about you and wait for the wonderful reports.
dick

Post by dick »

Want to thank all of our friends that were able to make it to dinner and the Chelsea. In spite of the noisy fan, I declare the evening a wonderful success!

Have received a note from Sylvie requesting that anyone with photos of performances by she, Ali, and Brett to please send then on to her. She is at sylviesimmons@earthlink.com -- Ali at ali.was.never@gmail.com. I would also appreciate being copied, and will look forward to sharing any pics with Esther. She much enjoyed all your company, and both Cohen shows.

Thanks again all!

Dick
dickstraub@yahoo.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Despite the humongous, A/C fan issue [creating noise for some, i.e. me and those near me; and a cold draft for others, i.e. at the middle table], this gathering was a HUGE success! Small enough to interact fairly well with most there, and large enough for a good variety of people. The food was DELICIOUS and filling. The entertainment was a total surprize for me and having Sylvie and Ali and Brett intersperse their entertainment made for an amazing blend of satisfaction for the senses. Sylvie's singing style and uke still have her delicate and delightful phrasing with the lyrics. Brett's accompaniment with both women and his sweetness were exactly as needed without overpowering. I can't wait for the Cork Event now, since I've never been to Ireland and because I'll get to see Ali, the amazing singer/performer and interpreter of Leonard's lyrics and music, again. I was stunned by what she brings to Leonard's work. Wish to heck I'd seen her when she did the Leonard koans in NYC previously! Her Sisters of Mercy was incredibly dynamic and she, in general, is all of that! Sweet, beautiful, and caring as a person, and sublime as a singer/performer/interpreter!

And then there was our special, guided tour of select areas of the Chelsea by a very amiable and fun youngish man.

Thank you for putting all of this together for us, Dick and Linda... It. Was. GREAT!!!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
uncleerwinone

Post by uncleerwinone »

What a wonderful evening it was. I feel so privileged to have been part of the dinner. Finally I was able to meet some of the people I already knew about by faithfully following the forum. It was so nice to talk with likeminded people and having the chance to talk with Esther meant a lot to me. She seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Thank you, Esther, and thank you for the ride you gave me back to the hotel.

Dick and Linda, thank you for making this evening possible. Everything was just right, the setting, the food, the entertainment (Ali’s interpretations of Leonard’s songs were impressive). And as if this would not be enough, we were treated to a tour of the Chelsea, an architectural delight with a history.

The next day my luck was completed when I was able to secure a ticket - and a good one at that - for the sold out Saturday concert. Since I had already a ticket for the Sunday concert I was now able to see both!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Here is a link to my photos of the night. They are not great as the light was low and I didn't want to use flash and disturb people. It was a very enjoyable evening. Many thanks to you and Linda for organising Dick. Having the opportunity to meet and speak with Esther was wonderful and what an amazing lady she is. Was also great to meet Sylvie, Ali and Brett and of course seeing friends I've met before and meeting those who I've only known through the Forum and FB.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... bf330f2890
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you Gwen for the wonderful pics. Gave me a feel for the great time to all seem to have had! I am green with envy.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”