New York Cohen fan dinner, April 5, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
dick

New York Cohen fan dinner, April 5, 2013

Post by dick »

LC Fan Dinner, April 5, 2013

In cohorts with Jarkko and Joe Way, I have made arrangements for a fan dinner to celebrate Leonard’s shows at Radio City Music Hall. The dinner is a day before the Saturday show so that none of us will be rushed or nervous during the dinner or excited about getting to a show.

Chosen restaurant is East of Eighth, at 254 W. 23rd. Conveniently located between 8th Avenue (C,E subways) and 7th Avenue (#1 subway), in same block as Chelsea Hotel. Start time is 7:00 pm, which will allow most folks the opportunity to view our 75th birthday commemoration plaque prominently on display at the front entrance to the Chelsea Hotel.

The restaurant has been very accommodating. My first estimate of attendance was 16 to 20. I would have been satisfied with three menu choices, but we will be offered six. We will have blue corn chips and pitta, with humus and guacamole for each table when we arrive. We will then each get a mixed green salad. Main courses include two pastas, one vegetarian the other with prosciutto. Other main choices will be sirloin steak, chicken, salmon, and a seasonal harvest vegetable platter.

Sodas and coffee and tea are included, as well as a wide choice of desserts. For those wishing to order alcoholic beverages, full bar service will be available and individual tabs will be kept. Total for meal is only $35 each. This being New York, bills must also include tax at 8.75% and a 20 % gratuity, bringing it to $45 per person. Esther Cohen is highly likely to attend, and Sylvie Simmons has accepted her invitation and will bring her ukelele.

We have dined at this restaurant many times, and have always been highly satisfied with food and service. They will be able to handle up to fifty of us. An accurate accounting is needed by the restaurant and me as early as possible. Please respond in this thread, or email your intentions to me at dickstraub@yahoo.com.
lizzytysh

Re: New York Cohen fan dinner, April 5, 2013

Post by lizzytysh »

Please count me in, Dick. Thanks! GREAT idea... and thanks for organizing this.
The menu sounds great!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Sounds great, Dick! Thanks for the arrangements. Eija and I will be there!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for organizing this, Dick! Great idea.

It means another trip into NYC from Stamford, CT for us, but it's worth it, so please count us in!

Can you tell us what time the dinner is called for, as that will determine our means of transportation that day. Thanks.
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

Surely, there should be Lencentric food

I'm your flan
Hey, that's no way to say good pie
If it be your dill
Misunderstood
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Famous blue (Maine) trout
Bird on the fire
Why don't you fry
Tonight will be wine
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for suggestions Rodin and Linda. :)

Better news..... Sylvie has accepted our invitation and will attend with her ukelele. See today's list of attendees below. Don't have details yet, but for those arriving earlier in the week Sylvie is booking another appearance in NYC for Thursday the 4th! Details will come when more is fixed.

Plug for our evening has already been added to Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook, and Heck of a Guy said he will post something in the next few days. 7pm start and suggestion to also have a look look at our 75th LC commemoration plaque at Chelsea Hotel entrance have been added to yesterday's invitation.

As of February 9, 2013
Cohen April 5 dinner attendees

Jarkko and Eija Arjatsalo
Joe and Anne Way
Dick and Linda Straub
Esther Cohen
Gwen Langford
Mandy MacLeod
Martine Nevens
Sue Giffard
Lizzytish
Wendy Marshall
Ken Kurzweil and Suzanne Sunday
Sylvie Simmons (and her ukulele!)
Rachel and Bob (holydove)

Eighteen signups first day! Thanks all!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Great news on Sylvie!
Good going on all this, Dick.

Please make it 19 by adding Emily Foster-Redstone.

Thanks, Dick :)
~ Oscar Wilde
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour »

Sounds great and I would have been interested but I will
be in M.S.G. on the 5th - I have Knicks basketball tickets.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Dick, thank you for the additional info. Sounds wonderful!
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Anne & I are very excited! We haven't been back to NYC since the event in 2004-it will be great to see old friends and new.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

I will be very pleased to attend.

Many thanks,
Jackie
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

Dear Friends,
I'd love to join you for the dinner if there's room for me...
Dick, I've sent you a mail,
Jarkko, Eija, Lizzie, Wendy, Rachel, Bob, Martine: Looking forward to seeing you again, everyone else: looking forward to meeting you!
Christelle
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is such great news! If there weren't room, we'd just have to make it... you know that, Christelle :D !!!
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

February 24 Update

We are now at 27 official registrants, a satisfying number, but there is still room for more.

As a new bonus, I am pleased to announce that another celebrity registrant will be joining us. Ali Hughes, whose wonderful NYC Fringe offering of "Cohen's Koans" won critical acclaim, has agreed to come and join our celebration. Along with Sylvie we have a very attractive guest list!

Received a note from a forum friend who is too booked by NYC schedule to make it to our 7pm dinner. She said, however, she would like to come with her husband around 9:30-10:00 pm to have a drink and say hello. I checked with our hosts to make sure that was ok, and the restaurant said a few like that can be accommodated by the wait staff. There is a bar on the second level, but it is a service bar. Please also let me know if others wish to do that.

Several have also asked for advance payment instructions. Quite simply, nothing in advance is required. We are being very trusting, as is the restaurant. So please just be prepared to pay by cash or credit card directly to our servers -- $45 for complete dinner per person plus payment for alcoholic beverages as they are served. It is also important to provide me advance notice if you are no longer planning to attend.

Finally, Linda would like to prepare simple name tags for the dinner. Just the name you would like to be called, and your city and country of residence will be shown. Please email me that info (dickstraub@yahoo.com) and be sure to include both yourself and anyone coming with you. My next posting of attendees will show that info on this forum

Really looking forward to seeing everyone and having a great time on April 5.

Dick
and Jarkko and Joe

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”