Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
jarkko
Site Admin

2nd CONCERT IN ST JOHNS

Post by jarkko »

AEG have announced a 2nd St Johns “Mile One Centre” concert
2ND SHOW DATE – APRIL 21, 2013

Our pre-sale has now closed.
Public on sale Friday Feb 1 at Noon (local)
at http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerc ... &caller=PR
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: 2nd CONCERT IN ST JOHNS, PRESALE TOMORROW

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Well that's taken me by surprise - I didn't expect that! Good for St John's.

What a shame Air Canada have canned the direct flight from London (a mere 3 hrs 45 mins). I could have been very tempted ......

Wendy
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Rather a surprise .Feels like a relatively remote place for 2 consecutive arena show, not easy to get to even from other maritime provinces . Newfoundland people clearly have good taste.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
justinburnett

Post by justinburnett »

I would actually have been surprised if they hadn't added an extra show. When he last came to St. John's, he ended up playing 4 shows!
Ronaldson

Post by Ronaldson »

cohenadmirer wrote:Rather a surprise .Feels like a relatively remote place for 2 consecutive arena show, not easy to get to even from other maritime provinces .
On the other hand, if twice as many tickets are sold, it must be easier to justify the travel expenses. Also, music is said to be strongly woven into the fabric of Newfoundland culture (much like in Ireland), so it is perhaps not so surprising that so many people would be interested in Leonard Cohen.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Ronaldson wrote: Also, music is said to be strongly woven into the fabric of Newfoundland culture (much like in Ireland), so it is perhaps not so surprising that so many people would be interested in Leonard Cohen.
Also St John's is very "Cohen literate" with the annual Feast of Cohen events each December, where local artists perform Leonard's songs. At $50 each, the tickets aren't exactly cheap by local standards, which just goes to show how much interest there is in Leonard's work.

Wendy
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

cohenadmirer wrote:Rather a surprise .Feels like a relatively remote place for 2 consecutive arena show, not easy to get to even from other maritime provinces . Newfoundland people clearly have good taste.
So true. Today I thought I'd check flights from Detroit to St. John's. This second concert will be a very special one as it's the last in North America before everyone heads to European soil 6 weeks later. Well, it would end up being virtually a two day adventure to get there, even though the distance is not as great as to the west coast of the US/Canada. Although I'm Canadian I've never been to Newfoundland but have great respect for the people of the province, and their respect for the music of Leonard Cohen.

I seem to remember that the last time LC was in St. John's, so was Bob Dylan. Leonard and several band members slipped in to Dylan's concert, but not sure if the courtesy was reciprocated.

Ronaldson's comment was true regarding how the fabric of music is so woven into the culture of the people...much like Ireland. And if anyone is interested in seeing a little deeper into the souls of the people of Newfoundland, I highly recommend a small paperback titled "The Day the World Came to Town". That day was 11 September 2001.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow on the presale. Wish I could be there but simply too difficult with the other mundane parts of our lives...like work. I am so happy for St. John's!
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Lady Di,
The Gander 9/11 story has just been made into a musical ("Come from Away")...
We just sing and dance our lives away around here...the late great St. John's comedian Tommy Sexton did a Codco skit about a man who sang his way through his way through his hum-drum as if it were an operetta. I've always aspired to that level of musical obsession...
We are small in numbers but mighty Cohen fans and will likely buy out both shows all by ourselves!

Anne
newfoundland--understand?
neareast

Re: 2nd CONCERT IN ST JOHNS, PRESALE TODAY

Post by neareast »

Not that difficult to get in and out of -- dozen or so flights each day from Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa...and a direct from Newark. Heathrow direct doesn't start up again until late spring. Great "exuse" for the homesick to return for the weekend. Have no doubt that it'll sell out again and provide a Newfoundland sendoff to LC as he heads across the pond.
Mabeanie1

Re: 2nd CONCERT IN ST JOHNS, PRESALE TODAY

Post by Mabeanie1 »

neareast wrote:Not that difficult to get in and out of -- dozen or so flights each day from Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa...and a direct from Newark. Heathrow direct doesn't start up again until late spring.
I'm pleased to hear that the direct flight from Heathrow still exists albeit not at the right time of year. As it is, it's a (very expensive) 8-9 hour flight from London via Halifax which is just too long for me, especially as you fly right over the island on the way to Halifax!! Time was, all the Halifax flights (and before that, approx. half of the Halifax flights) from London stopped in St John's and they expanded the airport to accommodate it's new gateway status. Then, after much protest, Air Canada re-instated the direct flights from London to Halifax - and forgot about St John's completely. It's a great shame they cannot serve both airports properly, all year round.

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: 2nd CONCERT IN ST JOHNS, PRESALE NOW!!!

Post by jarkko »

The link and password have been posted. The pre-sale is now open.
viewforum.php?f=76
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Looks like the link is still dead - 9 minutes after the pre-sale start,
I have emailed AEG about the problem.
Keep on trying.
sauly

Post by sauly »

Seems like it works with the previous password
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Yes, we got that confirmed. The venue had forgotten to change the password.
Use the password now posted in the PRESALE LINKS.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

ladydi wrote: This second concert will be a very special one as it's the last in North America before everyone heads to European soil 6 weeks later.
I'm sure it will be a great show and now we wait with patience for news of all the places he will be playing on european (including British and Irish ) soil :shock: :razz:
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”