Getting around Oakland questions

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
POZEST

Getting around Oakland questions

Post by POZEST »

Will be my first time there;

It looks like the hotels are a bit of a ways from the venue...

Would others that have visited suggest renting a car?? Or just Cabbing it?
Mabeanie1

Re: Getting around Oakland questions

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Stay in SF or Berkeley and rent a car!

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

Pozest I just sent you a pm with some info. I agree 100% with Wendy! rent a car at Oakland airport and stay in Berkeley or SF.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

lol....Pozest, you are a popular man! I sent you a pm also a couple of hours ago. Looks like the ladies are trying to take care of you. ;-)
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Thank you ladies. I only esteem to be half the Ladies Man that my friend LC is :)

Will do on the Oaklznd Rental and to stay in SF or Berkeley.

I'll hZve to do some homework on hotels in those cities that are not to far from venue.
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Stay in SF or Berkeley and rent a car!

Wendy

Wendy from Portland 2012??
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Sounds good scocoh.

I will get a rental car and I am deciding between the Claremont Hotel or the Doubletree .

Anyone else planning to stay at one of these two hotels perhaps we can carpool since I'm already going to have a rental car .
maureenv

Post by maureenv »

Hi Pozest -

I work just a block from The Paramount (I can see it from our front door!). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! This is a fairly safe neighborhood. I've worked here for 4 1/2 years and attend many evening events in the area. I've always felt safe and have never been threatened in any way.

If there is a BART station near your hotel in SF, I would suggest taking BART over for the concert. There is a BART station just outside of The Paramount. It's must easier then driving.

Hope that little bit of info helps!

Cheers -Maureen
Oakland, CA - April 14, 2009 / San Jose, CA - November 13, 2009 / Oakland, CA - December 5, 2010 / Oakland, CA - December 6, 2010 / Las Vegas, NV - December 10, 2010 / Las Vegas, NV - December 11, 2010 / San Jose, CA - November 7, 2012 / Oakland, CA - March 2, 2013 / Oakland, CA - March 3, 2013
catastrophe

Post by catastrophe »

Maureen's info is seconded! The Bay Area Rapid Transit station is so ridiculously close to the Paramount, it would be a shame to cab it. The Paramount is a bit in the Uptown area, which is perfectly safe - and actually has my favorite bars and restaurants. Definitely try to grab a drink at Bar 355 or The Layover before or after the show!
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Thanks for all the tips.

I'll be getting a rental . I will be there fit both concerts so that's two nights and now the Claremont is out( I don't want to spend big bucks for just sleeping). I'll most likely do the double tree.
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

To Maureen and catastrophe could both could both of you recommend Two hotels near the Paramount (walkIng distance) that you would regard as recommendable? You can pm if you like.

I'd really like to walk to venue to from hotel and back.
I can use the car for driving in, seeing the sites, and driving out.
mirka

Post by mirka »

I haven't been much to this area, even if I live appr. 50 miles South, but have friends who use BART on a regular basis. It's efficient and mostly safe way of getting around the Bay Area / some stations are better to avoid (Fruitvale is one often mentioned in bad news)/.
Among sites worth to see for those staying longer, there is an old, established Palm Grove not too far from the Paramount Theater, great collection of cool climate palms, accesible also via BART:
http://gardensatlakemerritt.org/gardens/palm-garden/
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

I'm with you on the walking to and from the show, Po. It is truly one of life's pleasures. The anticipation of going from hotel to show and getting a bite to eat or a drink while feeling this excitement is great. And the post-concert walk is far better than a post-concert drive or mass transit. After the show you feel as if you are floating home while still being immersed in UHTC magic while talking about your favorite moments with the people you are walking with. I've walked there and back in many concert cities and it is something I really enjoy.

The pre-show walk in Oakland is no problem. As in most large downtowns, there are a handful of nice bars and eateries and if your hotel is on the main drag you can walk straight down in an adequate atmosphere. Walking back to your hotel at midnight-- with the lovelY one?-- that's a much different story. Most of the cabs will be taken by the throngs who pour out immediately following the show. As you know, most forum members mill about talking to each other and come out to a much quieter street. Seattle? no problem. Portland-- even over the river back into the city-- likely event-free. But Oakland? Best of luck to you. Walk fast and be aware.

And lest you think this is just ol' Scocoh being paranoid, take a look at the crime over the last month in the exact area you will be walking in:

http://spotcrime.com/ca/oakland/downtown

Perhaps you can plan to walk back with others who are staying at the same hotel.
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

Thanks scotch (auto spell keeps changing ur name ),

I'll be driving for sure.i called the double tree in Berkeley but was dismayed they don't have dis counts for military veterans but offered me the active duty rate and then said I need to provide active duty govt issued Id's lol

I then told them why they'd offer me that rate if veterans are not eligible.
Their response; " so I don't get confused when I get there". WTF? Lol

I'm eyeing the Sheraton now. Any other out of towners coming in to Oakland?

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”