Great concert!
Maarten
And I see you also uploaded a very nice video - :D

Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYQyqDNWh4c
Zimmy66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Rotterdam, Holland - September 18, 2013

Post by Zimmy66 »

Was really looking forward to a member of the Forum posting a first hand report on what possibly is Leonard's penultimate concert in Europe. (Not on this tour - ever.)

Instead we have the usual remote, impersonal, "copy and pastes" from t'internet. For once, I'm thankful.

Really?

Hey. That's no way to say goodbye.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hey, let's tweet this thread itself!

"A picture of the venue or is it Asda at Brent Cross?

"A picture of Rotterdam or maybe Docklands

"A few tweets

"Two blurry pictures

"Umpteen more tweets

"Loadsa people at a concert

"Set list as copied from the Set List section

"Half a dozen you tube links in case you're too lazy to type Cohen Rotterdam 2013 into youtube

"A couple of brief posts

"Umpteen more videos

"Something from a newspaper

"Some photos, including a black and white one of the cover of Live in London

"Waar is het neuken concert verslag? (use Google Translate to translate from Dutch to English - and please do!)
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

John Etherington wrote:Hey, let's tweet this thread itself!

"A picture of the venue or is it Asda at Brent Cross?

"A picture of Rotterdam or maybe Docklands

"A few tweets

"Two blurry pictures

"Umpteen more tweets

"Loadsa people at a concert

"Set list as copied from the Set List section

"Half a dozen you tube links in case you're too lazy to type Cohen Rotterdam 2013 into youtube
"A couple of brief posts

"Umpteen more videos

"Something from a newspaper

"Some photos, including a black and white one of the cover of Live in London

"Waar is het neuken concert verslag? (use Google Translate to translate from Dutch to English - and please do!)
Seem to have covered it all there John.

Almost as if I was there.

Roll on Amsterdam.

Robert
John Etherington

Zimmy - would you prefer the report before or after the concert (or somewhere in the middle)?
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

John and Robert,

This is really inappropriate. I don't understand what the issue is here. The concert report threads have been this way since 2008 and have worked fine. That's five years of concert report threads with tweets, media reviews, media and fan photos, youtubes and first-hand accounts. Some threads have gone over 20 pages and people were able to enjoy the threads and the content. You both have complained about the content of the concert report threads in another thread. Now you seek to disrupt the thread here...all because you can't scroll over what you are uninterested in? I am asking you to please respect this thread, the history of these threads and the people who are interested in this concert.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

MarieM wrote:John and Robert,

This is really inappropriate. I don't understand what the issue is here. The concert report threads have been this way since 2008 and have worked fine. That's five years of concert report threads with tweets, media reviews, media and fan photos, youtubes and first-hand accounts. Some threads have gone over 20 pages and people were able to enjoy the threads and the content. You both have complained about the content of the concert report threads in another thread. Now you seek to disrupt the thread here...all because you can't scroll over what you are uninterested in? I am asking you to please respect this thread, the history of these threads and the people who are interested in this concert.
Sorry Marie don't agree.

For once I'm lost for words.

Never been accused of being disruptive before.
John Etherington

Marie - an unfortunate case of "if you can't beat them join them" and hope they see the irony! :roll: P.S. Check out the "Is It Just Me?" thread in "Comments & Questions".
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Oh dear. Have we lost our sense of humour? I thought John's post was very amusing.

Wendy
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Oh dear. Have we lost our sense of humour? I thought John's post was very amusing.

Wendy
It was quite funny ...though I for one like the stylistic mix in the concert threads. I am even scanning the posted tweets just in case there is a little gem in there , unlikely though that is .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Oh dear. Have we lost our sense of humour? I thought John's post was very amusing.

Wendy
It was quite funny ...though I for one like the stylistic mix in the concert threads. I am even scanning the posted tweets just in case there is a little gem in there , unlikely though that is .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
holydove

Post by holydove »

John Etherington wrote: and hope they see the irony!.
Speaking of irony: I would have put this in the "Is It Just Me" thread, where it actually belongs, but since there have been no real concert reports, at this point, in this thread, it seems an appropriately ironic place for it.

Maybe it's because many people who went to Rotterdam also went to Amsterdam, & they are very busy travelling, etc. BUT: The issue is obviously not just this thread, & I think Robert & John are making points that are worth considering. It strikes me that the saddest irony might be that it is because of all the non-reports (videos, tweets, news articles, etc.) that there have been less & less real concert reports in the concert report threads. To be honest, there were times when I thought of writing a report, but I felt overwhelmed by the bombardment of other items, assumed it would be lost or meaningless, noone would care about it, etc., because of all the other items that were already posted, & would subsequently be posted, in the threads, & therefore, I didn't post a report. And if I have felt that way, it now occurs to me that perhaps others have also felt that way, & that's what compelled me to make this post.

I have no problem at all with people posting items like videos, articles, & tweets; they have the right to do so, I enjoy the videos & some of the articles (when they are intelligible!), & I'm sure there are many people who enjoy all of that. But I do agree that it might be much better if we had separate threads for videos & items collected from the internet - it could be just one separate thread for each concert, perhaps. And if the concert report threads were reserved for concert reports alone, from forum members who were at the concerts, I wonder if maybe we would be seeing alot more actual concert reports, & wouldn't that be really nice. Obviously (& unfortunately), it's too late to make that happen for Europe or North America, but maybe we can still provide a nice clean space to encourage our friends in Australia & New Zealand to share their concert experiences with us. If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment, to see if something different might happen.

Of course, the moderators may feel free to move this to the other thread, if they choose to do so (not that they need my permission. . .)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Check out a report by a concert goer (& concert taper) Ian Macdonald. It's reposted by his kind permission in the Bootlegs Report thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33623&p=339615#p339615 (second quote, Notes).

Come on, skeptics. I simply can't believe that you're taking all this (tweets, videos, pictures) that serious. Is it an adult outlook on life?

If I came to your house, I would not do many things just because you ask me not to do them. I appreciate you and your hospitality.
But Forum is not your house, sorry.

I'm afraid, I don't want to spend that much time here as I used to do. And that's not because of silly tweets or blurry photos. Although I've never been offended by anyone here, I feel quite uncomfortable (damn, I can't believe I'm writing that about The Leonard Cohen Forum) :!:
John Etherington

Goldin - Let's not forget what the word "forum" actually means"...according to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary" it's "a place where people can exchange opinions and ideas on a particular issue". However, since it's kind of homely too, there should be a few litter bins where silly tweets, wobbly videos and blurry pictures can be deposited. Then people can feel free to raid the garbage cans, if they wish! :)

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”