CONCERT REPORT: London, UK , September 15, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
somewhat_nifty

Re: CONCERT REPORT: London, UK , September 15, 2013

Post by somewhat_nifty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Probably my last Cohen concert (though never say never!), I went to the O2 with mixed feelings. Though usually I have a seat near the front, this time I had opted for the cheap seats, although I bought them in the presale so they were right at the front of the cheap section. It is dizzyingly high at the O2, and Leonard and the band looked like stick people :lol: However it reminded me a bit of my seat at the Royal Albert Hall back in 2008, where I could only get a seat in the back row!

As usual, Leonard and the band put on a great show, and 'gave us all they had'. I missed being able to see their faces, I couldn't even see the screens that well. But the amazing music filled the venue and I still felt connected to the show. I was so happy to hear some of the older tunes back in the setlist - Chelsea Hotel #2 and Gypsy Wife (though Leonard seemed a bit rusty with this one!). Privileged to hear the new song 'Got a Little Secret' as well, though wasn't that sure I liked it. Maybe it's a grower. Alex seemed very integrated into the band, more so than when I had seen him before. Amazing to hear the violin on Gypsy Wife, though Raffi Hakopian is a hard act to follow! I feel I have gone out on a high, even though I had to leave before the encores were over. A stonking So Long, Marianne will be my lasting memory.

I foolishly didn't realise there was a meetup, I'm sorry to have missed the chance to say hello to the Cohenites. I was glad my spare ticket went to fellow Forumite Szilvia, whose excellent camera took photos as if we were much closer! I was also thrilled that old Forum friend Happygirl was there, she had won a competition for tickets and hadn't seen him since Barcelona, so was in for a treat. A great night.

My view:Image
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 pm

It was really lovely to see Leonard again, shame about the venue just a giant hangar.

My son and grandson came and contrary to his demeanour and seeming lack of enthusiasm my 16 year old grandson loved it.

I felt it was the last time I would ever seen Leonard singing in London, the spiel seemed to suggest he was currently on a tour of farewells.

I was really pleased to see Albert, Marie, Hans, Caren, John and Paul and a few others it is always nice to see old familiar faces amongst a sea of unfamiliar faces.

Leonard excelled, his voice very strong and I am in awe of his capacity of getting up from kneeling unaided. I want to know how he does that.

I loved the concert from start to finish and if that was the last time I see Leonard singing live I have been blessed.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:19 pm

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/musi ... 19334.html
Leonard Cohen, O2 Arena - Music Review

The 78-year-old Canadian singer-songwriter and his incredible nine-piece band packed more hits, humour and highlights into his three-hour set than most acts manage in their entire careers

Hits, humour and highlights: Leonard Cohen and his nine-piece band were incredible at the O2 (Picture: Rex Features)

Rick Pearson
Published: 16 September 2013
Updated: 13:32, 16 September 2013
Critic Rating % star

“I’m not sure when we’ll see each other again,” said Leonard Cohen, 78, at the start of his show at the O2. “But tonight we’re going to give it everything we’ve got.” For the following three hours, the Canadian singer-songwriter and his incredible nine-piece band more than made good on that promise. The only UK date on his Old Ideas world tour had more hits, humour and highlights than most acts pack into their careers.

If the pace was so pedestrian that even his band was seated, there was plenty of drama to be found in Cohen’s lyrics, which exude a pain and poetry unsurpassed in popular music. “Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free,” he crooned on Bird on the Wire, his very own My Way. Elsewhere, Darkness nodded to the depression that’s stalked him for the majority of his career. “I used to love the rainbow, I used to love the view/But I caught the darkness baby, and I caught it worse than you.”

However, the greatest thing about seeing the Godfather of Gloom nowadays is that he’s cheered up. When his rudimentary piano playing on Tower of Song prompted a round of applause, he asked: “Are you humouring me? If so, I accept your compassion: you sure know how to treat the elderly.” If Cohen’s playing was fairly limited, his band’s was masterful. Flamenco guitarist Javier Mas deserves to fill arenas of this size on his own, while the three female backing vocalists provided the angelic counterpoint to Cohen’s earthy tones.

Add to that stunning versions of Suzanne, I’m Your Man and Hallelujah, and you have a show that will live long in the memory.

If this really is the last time we’ll be seeing Cohen, hey, that’s some way to say goodbye.
William HK

Post by William HK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm

What a great forum for Leonard Cohen fans, and what an excellent concert report. Thanks.
I'm new to this forum. I bought my first Leonard Cohen album back in 1973 (on CD now). Tonight Will be Fine is still my favourite song although he doesn't seem to perform that much these days. (Or does he?)
My wife and I went last night and we were both completely overwhelmed by Leonard Cohen and his amazing support musicians.
We found the first set a little slow, although it was brilliant, but the second set and the generous encores were fantastic.
One thing we loved was the great affection and respect he had for his fellow musicians allowing them to showcase their talents.
First thing this morning I bought Savages by the Webb Sisters on the basis of their performance last night. I don't want him to retire but when he does, he'll leave behind a great and living legacy. Legend.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
songwriter

Post by songwriter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:00 pm

William HK wrote:What a great forum for Leonard Cohen fans, and what an excellent concert report. Thanks.
I'm new to this forum. I bought my first Leonard Cohen album back in 1973 (on CD now). Tonight Will be Fine is still my favourite song although he doesn't seem to perform that much these days. (Or does he?)
My wife and I went last night and we were both completely overwhelmed by Leonard Cohen and his amazing support musicians.
We found the first set a little slow, although it was brilliant, but the second set and the generous encores were fantastic.
One thing we loved was the great affection and respect he had for his fellow musicians allowing them to showcase their talents.
First thing this morning I bought Savages by the Webb Sisters on the basis of their performance last night. I don't want him to retire but when he does, he'll leave behind a great and living legacy. Legend.

according to the internet Tonight Will Be Fine was last played live by Leonard in 1979!

My favourite is Take This Longing :)
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:21 pm

songwriter wrote:according to the internet Tonight Will Be Fine was last played live by Leonard in 1979!
November 1980, more precisely.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Some professional photos of this show at Rockshot
songwriter

Post by songwriter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Goldin wrote:
songwriter wrote:according to the internet Tonight Will Be Fine was last played live by Leonard in 1979!
November 1980, more precisely.

apologies, my memory is not what it once was :lol:
William HK

Post by William HK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks Goldin and Songwriter. Long time either way. Looks like he doesn't like Tonight Will Be Fine anymore.
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Don't think so, William :)

It appears constantly in a setlist (so called attention section):
http://drhguy.com/2013/07/21/how-the-le ... t-setlist/
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm

I am winging this a bit as I drove straight from Dublin airport to work arriving one hour late
but my collegue was good enough to fill in (some advantages of afternoon shifts I suppose).

When this concert ended, I felt like someone who left the dinner table still feeling hungry.
The abrupt ending took some of the good out of it for me. I was really enjoying the performance and expecting
more to follow but a 2245 curfew at an indoor arena - totally shocked - it makes me appreciate
the O2 arena in Dublin even more.

The Dublin concerts ran from 1940 to 2315 (Wed) and 1945 to 2325 (Thur)

I was at both the Dublin shows and while I have not read any of the reviews yet I thought both were excellent
and that Thursday night was exceptional. Maybe it was my mood or whatever - maybe others will
disagree ... Leonard and the band seemed to be having as much fun as the audience and our President
stuck it out until the last encore (of course he was also in Kilmainham last year).

Thursday's show was my introduction to 'I've got a little secret'. I really liked it.

The quote from the fan was indeed 'Thank you for a lifetime of meaningful music'.

That was my last show (for this round ???).

It has been an honour to be there so many times and to meet so many terrific people
from all over the world.
William HK

Post by William HK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Goldin wrote:Don't think so, William :)

It appears constantly in a setlist (so called attention section):
http://drhguy.com/2013/07/21/how-the-le ... t-setlist/
After 33 years I'm not sure we should take too much encouragement from that...
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm

So many wonderful posts on this concert - thank you all for taking the time to put your feelings and impressions here!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Mary - Glad you like the reports in this section.

William - Pleased to hear that you bought the Webb Sisters album on the strength of their performance last night. Check out my lead review of "Savages" on amazon.co.uk

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”