CONCERT REPORT: Dublin, September 11th and 12th 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Dublin, September 11th and 12th 2013

Post by MaryB »

Gwen,

I relished every word of your most enjoyable review and it was not too long! Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

musicmania wrote:I don't normally record at the actual concerts but 2 videos I've wanted to make are A Thousand Kisses Deep and Leonard's closing comments. Both these were extra special last night so was happy to get them.

A Thousand Kisses Deep:

http://youtu.be/dOI8bEFThw8

Closing Comments:

http://youtu.be/L0bA1Nk-CpY
Extra special, I agree Gwen!
Thank you x
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video -

Uploaded by renataxxl (Sept 12)

Lover, Lover, Lover (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPRhtehR3M

Uploaded by Paul Hanley (Sept 12)

Amen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXYi4Qnz8I4

Chelsea Hotel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FogU5CGJysQ
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 75791.html

" any concerns that Cohen is getting complacent in his old age – he turns 79 later this month – are quashed within moments because it soon becomes abundantly clear that he is in the form of his life."
John Meagher – 13 September 2013
Leonard Cohen - The 02, Dublin

You know what they say about familiarity breeding contempt? Since his much lauded comeback tour of 2008, Leonard Cohen has returned to these shores time and time again. It is noticeable that on this occasion there isn't nearly the sort of excitement he generated on previous visits and the banks of empty seats in the arena suggest the veteran Canadian is no longer the hottest ticket in town.

But any concerns that Cohen is getting complacent in his old age – he turns 79 later this month – are quashed within moments because it soon becomes abundantly clear that he is in the form of his life.

For three-and-a-half hours he offers reminder after reminder of his supreme talents as a songwriter. He dips into that extensive, career-spanning back catalogue and virtually every song is a success. His wonderful vocals and consummate showmanship are apparent from the off, but much of the magic is fashioned by his great band – virtually all of whom have been with him on the journey over the past five years.

At times tonight his delivery of some songs is even more captivating than what he managed at those fabled Royal Hospital Kilmainham shows in '08 and the sustained quality comfortably eclipses that of his last appearance in this venue three years ago.

Highlights? So many. How about the plaintive, haunting rendition of 'Suzanne' or the arresting, spoken worded delivery of 'A Thousand Kisses Deep'? How about the theatrics of the portentous 'Everybody Knows' or the brilliantly playful take on 'I'm Your Man'?

'Chelsea Hotel', 'Famous Blue Raincoat', 'So Long Marianne', 'The Future' – one iconic song follows another. His band have grown in confidence too and are now not merely interested in faithfully reproducing those old recordings but instead offering new and inventive ways to bring them alive.

Once again, Cohen's generosity of spirit is plain for all to see as he allows each of those musicians with him to have their moment.

Backing singers Charley and Hattie Webb offer a beautifully pure interpretation of 'If It Be Your Will', while in the night's single most memorable performance, Sharon Robinson reminds us of her own rare talent with a sublime version of 'Alexandra Leaving' – a song she co-wrote with Cohen a dozen years ago.

Cohen hints that he may not be back in Ireland for some time – one never knows with this singer – but if this is to be his Irish swansong, what a way to go out.

Irish Independent
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Last edited by IrishAL on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Take a look at Darkness just downloaded by Irishal. Very funny at 5.25 when Leonard sings 'you were young and it was summer' he flinches and smiles. Great video. Thanks for that Al.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

He seems to be in such a good mood that even when singing grim lines like "the present's not that pleasant" or "I've got no taste for anything at all" he can't keep the smile off his face. And I don't mind the mismatch one bit; he paid for every one of those smiles many times over.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Cheshire gal wrote:Take a look at Darkness just downloaded by Irishal. Very funny at 5.25 when Leonard sings 'you were young and it was summer' he flinches and smiles. Great video. Thanks for that Al.
Thanks for that little observation :lol: - and I also love when he sings "winning you was easy" :)

And many, many, many ------------> :D - thanks to Albert - for these, and all his videos!
alb123

Post by alb123 »

B4real wrote: I’ve Got A Little Secret

(Neil’s organ)

It’s kind of chilly in your kitchen
And I think it’s gonna snow
It’s kind of chilly in your kitchen
And I believe it’s gonna snow
I don’t need to leave you baby
Oh, but there’s no where else to go

EDIT: Zimmer,
Absolutely excellent photos of Leonard!!
I have been listening to this song over and over and I'm quite certain that I hear Leonard sing, at the end of this stanza:

I need to leave you baby - Oh, but there's nowhere else to go...

You have transcribed "I don't need"...I am quite certain Leonard does not say "don't". Actually, it makes a lot more sense saying "I need to leave you baby, but there's nowhere else to go..."

Have another listen.
Either way...Great job transcribing this catchy tune!

-Chris
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
B4real

Post by B4real »

alb123 wrote: I have been listening to this song over and over and I'm quite certain that I hear Leonard sing, at the end of this stanza:

I need to leave you baby - Oh, but there's nowhere else to go...

You have transcribed "I don't need"...I am quite certain Leonard does not say "don't". Actually, it makes a lot more sense saying "I need to leave you baby, but there's nowhere else to go..."

Have another listen.
Either way...Great job transcribing this catchy tune!

-Chris
Thank you Chris,
And you are absolutely correct!! That's what I hear as well! I "don't" know why I typed "don't" :razz: Must have been having a negative day ;-)
I'll fix it up in my post now. Thanks for your help.
Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks for the wonderful videos Albert :D And thank you Bev for transcribing the words to I've Got A Secret :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Gwen,
I took pleasure in doing it! ..... and I also took much pleasure in your words .... as Mary says it's not too long .... it's never too long!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Thanks Albert for all the videos. Any chance you captured Tower of Song on Wednesday night? I would love to see the antics on the keyboards again, especially when LC used his elbows to demonstrate what else he could do on the keyboards. I nominate you for Trapattoni's job!
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks for the wonderful videos Albert And thank you Bev for transcribing the words to I've Got A Secret

I totally agree with Gwen - Albert your video's are superb and thanks for taking the time and effort to create them.
Bev thank you too. I did have a laugh with an LC friend when you wrote
(Neil's organ)
right after
"it ain't no pretty sight
"... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry if this offends anyone but its brilliant.
Cheers Bev
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
anny

Post by anny »

thank you Leslie and Bev, but IT IS briliant........... had to laugh too !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”