CONCERT REPORT: LG Arena, Birmingham UK - Sunday 8 September

A new, growing section for more exciting news
awaythelads

Re: CONCERT REPORT: LG Arena, Birmingham UK - Sunday 8 Septe

Post by awaythelads »

Mabeanie1 wrote: A few comments about security. awaythelads commented that he had "the bulk of [his] kit" confiscated on the doors. Sorry awaythelads but what are you doing taking anything more than a compact or bridge camera to an indoor arena show? You should know that you are unlikely to be able to use any "kit" unless you have a photo pass and then only for the first song. My small back pack was not searched at all (and rarely is at the LG Arena) nor have I ever had any problems using a compact camera at the arena though they were stopping people from videoing where they spotted it. I also heard stories of one particular security guy at the front on the right who was particularly irritating, stopping people from using cameras apparently and generally looking for trouble. There was some sort of "incident" between security and someone on the front row during Hallelujah that this guy was involved in but otherwise I thought security were pretty much low key. For the most part when people came forward for the encores they simply let us be - apart from the aforementioned "irritant" who, with one of his colleagues, belatedly tried to move the crowd out of the aisle to the right of the centre block at the start of Going Home. They were shouting and making so much noise that the crowd collectively "shushed" them. Quite right too. It may be their job to try and get people to go back to their seats but they don't have the right to disturb the enjoyment of everyone else in the audience whilst they are doing it.
Wendy
Hi Wendy,
Yes - know about the ins and outs of using photography kit at indoor shows. Security were good with me - I showed them what I had when I went in just to make sure they were ok with it as I didn't want any hassle during the show. The 'kit' was a small camera bag and medium-sized lens (considerably less zoom than modern compacts), plus a memory stick, all of which I could have fitted in my jacket pockets. They let me take the camera though - I'm still none the wiser what their policy is? I take photos as personal memories for me, to share with (or bore!) my children and also to share them with anybody who might like them on this forum. I try to be as discrete as I can be - I know how annoying iPhone/bridge cameras with bright displays and flashes, and especially the recent trend of using iPads can be for the other fans.
I also heard a bit of commotion to the right of me, including the shushing. I was too captivated with the performance to pay any attention - fortunately I was only a few feet from the stage. I was puzzled why there were so few people up front at the end of the show as has happened at all the Cohen concerts that I have witnessed.

An excellent night for me and once again a million thanks to jarkko for allowing me the privilege of having front row seats!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

awaythelads wrote:They let me take the camera though - I'm still none the wiser what their policy is?!
The policy at most venues is no cameras with interchangeable lenses which they class as professional cameras. I saw someone using a SLR with a small lens about 3 people to the right of me on the front row of the centre block so I guess that was you. I suppose without your spare lens you could not change the lenses so ...? A weird application of the rule but at least you got your camera in.

Wendy
awaythelads

Post by awaythelads »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
awaythelads wrote:They let me take the camera though - I'm still none the wiser what their policy is?!
The policy at most venues is no cameras with interchangeable lenses which they class as professional cameras. I saw someone using a SLR with a small lens about 3 people to the right of me on the front row of the centre block so I guess that was you. I suppose without your spare lens you could not change the lenses so ...? A weird application of the rule but at least you got your camera in.

Wendy
Yes - that was me.

I'm really glad they let me take my camera in as Cohen posed for me at the end of the concert! My friend confirmed that he appeared to smile directly at my camera - here's the result:

sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going ... e=Comments
By Barrie White
10 Sep 2013 09:56

Leonard Cohen Vows To Start Smoking Again To Celebrate 80th Birthday

The legendary musician wowed 14,000 fans in Birmingham and told them the only reason he was planning to carry on touring was so he can smoke on stage when he's 80

Smoking: Leonard Cohen WireImage

Rock legend Leonard Cohen has told 14,000 British fans he is going to start smoking again next year - to mark his 80th birthday.

The singer - who will be 79 later this month - said he wants to take his first cigarette on stage.

During a triumphant three-hour show on the latest leg of his world tour, Cohen said: "I hope I stay on the road a little bit longer - but you may not be so enthusiastic when you hear my reason.

"You see I want to start smoking next year when I'll be 80. It's been a long barren time. I think it's the right age to recommence.

"I'd like to do it on stage and I'd like to be standing here like this, in front of sympathetic people like yourselves.

"A nurse would come onto the stage with a silver tray. On that tray would be an open pack of cigarettes - the little cylinders gleaming like the pillars of a great temple.

"She would approach me in her white pleated uniform, her little stockings and tiny white shoes. I'd take one of those cigarettes and tap it on that silver tray and she would light me up.

"I'd say 'nurse before you go, would you mind tapping out a few of those bubbles in my IV'.

"Then I'd take my first drag and I'd feel extremely relaxed and I'd be able to review some of the disasters of my shabby past, especially my relationship with a certain woman I regret having disappointed."

Cohen skipped off stage after three encores and a standing ovation at the packed LG Arena in Birmingham on Sunday where he played self-penned hits including Hallelujah, So Long, Marianne and I'm Your Man.

The Canadian star also offered a master class in modesty - giving an individual name check to his entire 9-piece band, all his roadies and nearly a dozen members of his sound and stage crew.

At the start of the show Cohen told fans who paid up to £80 each for a ticket: "Thank you for endangering your household budget.

"It's been a long time since we've been here but I didn't want to make a nuisance of myself. I promise you, tonight we will give you everything we've got."

Fan Debbie Fox, 42, said after the concert: "That was amazing - he is such a charmer."

Engineer Mike Davies,53, said: "My wife bought two tickets for my birthday - it was the perfect gift."

Buy tickets for Leonard Cohen's London show this weekend by clicking on the link below:

The O2 Arena, London, 14 Sept 2013
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

awaythelads wrote: I'm really glad they let me take my camera in as Cohen posed for me at the end of the concert! My friend confirmed that he appeared to smile directly at my camera - here's the result:

What a wonderful photo. Hard to believe it was taken after 3 hours onstage. He looks great.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://lgarenabirmingham.wordpress.com/ ... er-2013-2/

The man is funny. It may be dry as a bone humour, but he’s funny.
Leonard Cohen | 8 September 2013
September 9, 2013

While there was no formal support band at the event, it’s worth mentioning Kobold who played one of the largest gatherings the Forum Live stage has witnessed. A strong, confident acoustic covers set covering Bowie, the Beatles, Cat Stevens and more, the trio were raising money for Alzheimer’s and judging by the size of the crowd watching and the contributions made, their performance was much appreciated.

And on to the main event…

Returning to the Birmingham Arena five years after his last performance the 78 year old ran sprightly onto the stage to massive applause to join his 9 piece band with the opening number ‘Dance Me to the End of Love’.

As it finished Cohen promised ‘tonight we’ll give you everything we’ve got’. No small boast with the reputation he’s built over the years for polished, professional, and marathon length shows, but one which he proceeded to follow up on.

The staging was minimal, no frills, with cool back drops slowly changing colours to mirror the music, and excellent quality video screens either side of the stage, with non- fussy camera work highlighting the band solos throughout the evening, of which there were many, all of impeccable taste and skill.

Amongst the classics during the first set (including The Future, a full band version of Bird on the Wire, and Everybody Knows), there was a peppering of tracks from Cohen’s last album, 2012’s Old Ideas- ‘Darkness’, ‘Amen’ and ‘Come Healing’- and why not, it is the ‘Old Ideas’ tour, and showed this was no mere Greatest Hits evening, but an artist who still has something he wants to say. All were greeted enthusiastically by the crowd.

Roughly an hour in the first set ended with Lover Lover Lover and a short interlude. Back on half an hour later Cohen played keyboard on ‘Tower of Song’…or at least pressed a couple of notes, to wild applause from the crowd.

Are you humouring me?” he dead panned.

It may be true that he uses the same monologues or humorous asides at every gig, but no-one tonight seemed to mind, and his delivery was droll enough to get big laughs, something those that don’t really know Cohen’s music seem to miss.
The man is funny. It may be dry as a bone humour, but he’s funny.

After the band version of Bird on the Wire in the first set, Cohen showed he was still prepared to keep things simple, strapping on an acoustic guitar, for a minimally accompanied ‘Suzanne’, before playing a great ‘Chelsea Hotel #2’.

After sixteen songs, Cohen stepped back to allow Sharon Robinson, his long-time backing singer and collaborator to solo on ‘Alexandra Leaving’, a beautiful version which should be shown to X factor wannabees that you really don’t need the histrionics when you have a great voice, and great material.

And talking of the X factor, you can’t help but mention ‘Hallelujah’ (as one contestant stated last week he was going to do ‘the Alexandra Burke song’), tonight Cohen showed that, no, it’s his song.

And then we were into ‘Take this Waltz’ and it was over…

Except of course it wasn’t. Not one, not two, but three Encores.

A run time of almost three hours.

A performer who still loves to perform and a band that genuinely seemed to enjoy every moment of the show, able to make an arena of this size still seem intimate. And an audience who lapped up every moment of it.

Review by Nic Young.
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

For the most part when people came forward for the encores they simply let us be - apart from the aforementioned "irritant" who, with one of his colleagues, belatedly tried to move the crowd out of the aisle to the right of the centre block at the start of Going Home.
I was one of the people forced out of the right hand aisle , in an intimidating manner , in marked contrast to all the other UK shows , where security either tolerated ( Manchester ) the Cohen choir or did nothing . I dont recall people being left standing ie being allowed to stand in the left hand aisle - would be nice if there was a Forum witness from that side of the centre block? - I thought security were appalling bullies , and will not return to the LG
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by syaasa -

Dance Me To The End Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnLfrMPkk3s
BrokenBanjo

Post by BrokenBanjo »

The guy right of centre who was hassled was two rows directly in front of me - I'm not sure what he was doing as neither I nor my neighbour saw him holding up even a phone camera - he was sitting in front of the speakers - maybe had a recorder in his lap?
I enjoyed the concert very much, though audience atmosphere was very lacking until the encores.

Like some others, I also don't like big arenas; luckily I was in the third front row, conversely one of the cameramen filming was directly in my sight line, blocking out Leonard every time he knelt. On the up side, at least where I was sitting, no-one was going out and in for drinks, which happened throughout the concert in Belfast (around me) and is happening only too often nowadays in the SECC.

I loved the violin solo in Suzanne, absolutely heartbreaking.

Congratulations to all of the fantastic musicians, the ladies (couldn't they wear something more flattering, even single-breasted jackets?) and of course, to Leonard. I consider myself extremely lucky to be a relatively recent fan, when his voice is better than ever and he seems to really enjoy performing.
I thought I had some 'quite nice' pics until I saw some of those posted earlier.
(Singing Suzanne.)
Last edited by BrokenBanjo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belfast: 26th July, 2009, Paris: 29th September, 2012
Looking forward to Birmingham, 8th September, 2013.
awaythelads

Post by awaythelads »

BrokenBanjo wrote:I thought I had some 'quite nice' pics until I saw some of those posted earlier.
(Singing Suzanne.)
That's a very good shot! Wonderful perspective. Intimate. I really enjoyed the lighting and shadows throughout the concert.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

birminghamfan wrote:I was one of the people forced out of the right hand aisle , in an intimidating manner , in marked contrast to all the other UK shows , where security either tolerated ( Manchester ) the Cohen choir or did nothing . I dont recall people being left standing ie being allowed to stand in the left hand aisle - would be nice if there was a Forum witness from that side of the centre block? - I thought security were appalling bullies , and will not return to the LG
I had lunch today with someone who was sat near the front on the left hand aisle. She confirmed there were no problems with security there either and I know some people came to stand front row centre from the left so I think you were just plain unlucky that you got the one guy who was out to cause trouble (plus the colleagues he called to help him). I have never ever had a problem at the arena and I think you should lodge a formal complaint against someone who is clearly an aggressive whatsit so future concert goers don't have their enjoyment spoiled by one maverick individual.

Wendy
Maj

Post by Maj »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
birminghamfan wrote:I was one of the people forced out of the right hand aisle , in an intimidating manner , in marked contrast to all the other UK shows , where security either tolerated ( Manchester ) the Cohen choir or did nothing . I dont recall people being left standing ie being allowed to stand in the left hand aisle - would be nice if there was a Forum witness from that side of the centre block? - I thought security were appalling bullies , and will not return to the LG
I had lunch today with someone who was sat near the front on the left hand aisle. She confirmed there were no problems with security there either and I know some people came to stand front row centre from the left so I think you were just plain unlucky that you got the one guy who was out to cause trouble (plus the colleagues he called to help him). I have never ever had a problem at the arena and I think you should lodge a formal complaint against someone who is clearly an aggressive whatsit so future concert goers don't have their enjoyment spoiled by one maverick individual.

Wendy
During the encores I stood at my seat in block B row 4, more left side, I was focused on the music but suddenly noticed some aggressive security people movement towards some guys. They forced these guys to move backwards on the left aisle. It looked strange because the security people made more noise. Someone in the row 3 was also remarked about his little camera while I saw several people filming elsewhere.

Maire
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Maj wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:

Wendy
During the encores I stood at my seat in block B row 4, more left side, I was focused on the music but suddenly noticed some aggressive security people movement towards some guys. They forced these guys to move backwards on the left aisle. It looked strange because the security people made more noise. Someone in the row 3 was also remarked about his little camera while I saw several people filming elsewhere.

Maire
I suspect a ' formal complaint' would , after a bit of an inquiry, elicit a response that the security people were just doing their job .
Sometimes it's best just to 'let it go '!
It certainly bothered me at the time , but as the days have passed what remains in the heart is another great concert.
No doubt though that at this venue on this night quite a few of the security people were the rowdy ones making a lot of noise while we were trying to pay attention to the music and using unnecessary force on a bunch of largely middle aged and respectful cohenites...doing what we know leonard likes , standing , dancing and making clear their enthusiasm....
. .. .And , yes , i think there definitely was a security' ringleader', encouraging some ' colleagues' to take actions they didn't necessarily want to .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse »

j9sunny wrote:First, may I say that the concert was wonderful. Loved the set list, the arrangements, everything.
However, to say I was disappointed with my tickets is an understatement.
Bought through this forum, the seats were start of a row, 90 degrees to the stage. It meant we had a restricted view but we also couldn't see the big screen as it was side on to us and the picture was, therefore, warped. People all around us were complaining too. At £65 a ticket, I feel thoroughly ripped off by the ticket sellers and by LG arena.
Regarding the arena, very cold air conditioning meant everyone around us putting on coats because of the blast down our necks. The catering is fast food only too, incidentally, which was an unexpected blow after arriving early for something "proper" to eat.
Had it not been for the superlative Leonard, his outstanding team, and some wonderful music, I would be very grumpy indeed.
Off to complain to the LG arena now..

I agree that some ticket prices and seating are disappointing to the point of making you feel that you've been ripped off.

We had good seats at Bournemouth but my husband's nephew and wife were there unbeknownst to us in not very good seats. The first we knew they were there was when they came over and said hello during the interval. His brother had bought him two tickets for his birthday. It had been mentioned to us earlier and we had said that they could come with us. However the brother went ahead and bought tickets through an agent. By the time the tickets, postage, VAT, credit card charges etc. were added the 2 x £75 tickets cost almost £300!!
I certainly wouldn't have been happy to pay that for the seats they had. I would not have paid that for our seats. There is a certain sum which I wouldn't go above for anyone; not even Leonard.

At Bournemouth we were in front of The Webb sister's and had a good view of all the band so I was a bit disappointed in our seats at Brighton. We paid and got front row but were to the right side of the stage and had the backs of Javier Mas and Alex throughout the performance. At Wembly and Barcelona we were in the middle and it felt cosy but at Brighton I felt a bit out in the cold and got a stiff neck. We hadn't been able to get any info on the seating beforehand so we took a chance. I would have prefered to sit in the middle a few rows back than accept the seats we had.

The way the band is positioned, in the semi-circle and with those on the right seated and all facing in; it only really works in a smaller theatre and even then, many in the audience are staring at their backs except when they are playing solos. When Dino Soldo was playing he was on the far right, facing the audience and it seemed a bigger set. I prefer the violin to Dino's 'wind instruments' but he took up quite a bit of room and filled the stage both with his instuments and his personality. The band somehow seems smaller now.

I wouldn't pay to see Leonard or again unless I knew the seats were in the middle and front few rows.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by nopaniczone

Tower of Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8pkRXiJxo

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”