CONCERT REPORT: Leeds UK - Saturday 7 September 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Mabeanie1

CONCERT REPORT: Leeds UK - Saturday 7 September 2013

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The excitement is building as we wait for show number 5 of the UK tour at the brand new First Direct Arena in Leeds tomorrow. Here's a picture I took of the place before the opening show on July 24.
First Direct Arena.jpg
Also, a picture of the interior from Wikipedia. This shows the arena set up for a seated show but without the floor seats in place.
Leeds_First_Direct_Arena_(Taken_by_Flickr_user_30th_August_2013)_001.jpg
Sight lines are excellent from the tiered seats (we sat towards the back of block 101 on the left hand side for Springsteen) and I think they should be equally good from the floor, depending on how UHTC decide to rig the stage and hang the curtains. As I've commented elsewhere, we were less impressed with the sound back in July but if anyone can make this place sound sweet, Leonard can.

See you there!

Wendy
Zimmy66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Leeds UK - Saturday 7 September 2013

Post by Zimmy66 »

Thanks for this Wendy. Impressive looking place! Very excited for tomorrow night as I had resigned myself to the O2 in June being my last Cohen concert. Very early start tomorrow ( 1 bus then 3 trains :? ) but it's worth it.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Thanks for this. I am very excited!
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

At the motorway services on the way home so can't write much but just wanted to say what a great show. Leonard and the band were on fine form! We got pan pipes in Tower of song and ANTHEM IS BACK IN ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE! Hallelujah!

Wendy
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Just back in my hotel. What a night! I'll post a proper report tomorrow on train back to Scotland. As Wendy says above - Anthem is back. And it was wonderful. Not enough superlatives for the shows that Leonard is currently treating us to.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
anny

Post by anny »

thank you Wendy !!! wonderfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Agreed - a wonderful night. Anthem fantastic, and so many moments through the show to make it really special. Just keeps getting better, how does he do it?
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Another absolutely wonderful evening - I have no idea how it keeps on getting better and better, but that is the reality. I picked up 2nd row central tickets from Eventim last week (unused VIP packages? Who knows?) for me and my 12 year old daughter (her 4th LC concert) and it was stunning. So many highlights, but to select a few: I was thrilled to see Anthem back where it undeniably belongs. There was a beautiful pared down Chelsea Hotel (which he hasn't played the last 5 times I've seen him), which made my night. The Gypsy's Wife was superb, as was a different (in my experience) version of Lover Lover Lover. Best of all, Leonard was on sparkling form, vocally and within himself, with some terrific banter with the audience, and clearly having a great time. The band were fabulous, as always - words cannot capture the quality of the Webb Sisters' performance (Come Healing was glorious, and their contributions to Waiting for the Miracle and Take this Waltz were, to borrow a much used asjective, sublime) and Alexandra Leaving was a thing of deep beauty. I also managed a brief chat to Messrs Gayol and Beck afterwards, which crowned an incredible night. I thought the venue was great - seemingly well organised and it felt quite intimate (as these Arenas go). That said, what would it take to provide sufficient ladies' loos?!

A moment of mild eresy? I adore TWS' version of If It Be Your Will, though I did find myself thinking last night what a treat it would be to perform that song himself. In no way is that a complaint.

I posted previously that when the London o2 gig moved from Sat to Sun, my wife and I decided that my daughter couldn't go, it being a school night and in the knowledge that we wouldn't get home till about 1 am (a very close call, but there it is). She wasn't happy but took it in good heart. Last night more than made up for it (All Good Things?), and as we sit here on our London-bound train, all seems well in the world.

I feel so lucky.

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
Lloydterry

Post by Lloydterry »

So glad the Leeds show was a huge success and one of LC's best songs, Anthem, was back on the setlist. I last saw LC in Leeds as a student 41 years ago on the 1972 tour. And my abiding memory then as I looked down at the stage from the university refectory balcony was how full of joy he was for the performance and the reception he was getting. Curfews were unheard of in those days and I remember he performed encore after encore - he just didn't want to leave the stage. It's a shame Tony Palmer didn't use footage from this concert for his Bird On The Wire film instead of focusing mainly on the problems at other venues. But back to the present. Leonard was obviously as brilliant in Leeds as he was when I saw him a few weeks ago in Bournemouth. May he perform for years to come...
1972 Leeds University, 2012 London Wembley Arena, 2013 Bournemouth.
mike.barker58

Post by mike.barker58 »

My only LC concert on this tour and, thanks to Jarkko and the tour promoters, I was in the middle seat of the front row in the central section.

Firstly, a word about the arena ..... It's the best large indoor concert venue that I've been to - helpful staff, sensible parking arrangements and cost and a great layout.

As for the concert, seeing Leonard and the band close up for the first time you appreciate the interactions between them - a smile here, a nod there .... Everyone clearly on the same wavelength and able to respond when LC throws in a new word or two to the lyrics or goes into a rap about surprising everyone if he turned up dressed as a concert pianist for Tower of Song.

From the start Leonard was in playful mood and clearly enjoying himself .... for me, seeing an artist of his calibre enjoying the performance and the occasion enhances my enjoyment of the concert .... and I don't begrudge him the right to enjoy himself on stage, it doesn't detract from the performance in any way.

It was a great night - ok we lost a couple of numbers at the end but given that the overall running time was the same as Cardiff it shows you how performances vary from one night to the next - the highlight for me was being able to see a master at work up close.
James T

Post by James T »

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves! Shame I couldn't make it this time round, blame trains and buses and early starts at work.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Music to my ears hearing Anthem is back in its rightful position and hoping it remains there now. This sounds like it was an amazing concert, even if the curfew did take a couple of songs from the end. IMO though I'd take Anthem back over having an extra song at the end.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

I was in the 2nd row central, just behind you, Mike, and I fully agree with what you say about the interaction between the band members. That doesn't surprise but it remains remarkable. And they keep it so fresh. We may have missed a few songs but for me the main ones I really wanted to hear were performed beautifully. Ok, Democracy and Avalanche would have been nice but I'm just being greedy. Roll on o2!

Tom
openmike

Leeds 7 Sept

Post by openmike »

The legend and his magic band were utterly majestic last night. Great to have experienced his humility and humour his kindness and his respect.
Leonard Cohen skipping across the clouds doing his eric morecambe impression...what a fantastic night.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Thanks to everyone for these great reviews..... can't wait for tonight!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”