CONCERT REPORT: Manchester Arena UK August 31st 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
James T

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Manchester Arena UK August 31st 2013

Post by James T »

21k inclused the seats all the way round. Still, I would say there was at least 12k surely.
zwirnie

Post by zwirnie »

21k may be the max capacity, but with an all-seat concert the max. number is much lower. Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable source) states the number for "conventional end-stage concerts" with 13,500–15,800 fully seated max, a number that seems much more likely. With James T's 12k estimate it's still a +80% sell-out.
2010: Wellington, 2012/13: Berlin
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

James T wrote:21k inclused the seats all the way round. Still, I would say there was at least 12k surely.
Being a City fan you should be used to empty seats.
Misunderstood
James T

Post by James T »

Saw about 60k empty seats with about 10 minutes to go at Old Trafford not long ago, missed 3 goals!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

phones4U.JPG
MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS
SEPTEMBER 2
(Click for bigger view)

Sent by Simon M.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Rodin wrote:
James T wrote:21k inclused the seats all the way round. Still, I would say there was at least 12k surely.
Being a City fan you should be used to empty seats.
I think it was basically full apart from the curtained off back upper tier ( not the best of seats - almost need a canister of oxygen to survive up there )- so maybe 10000+ people having a great time , and certainly being an openly enthusiastic audience.

As for Rodin's comment ,not being a football fan i wouldn't have a clue, but given the economic circumstances i would imagine it's a bit expensive to go to all the games !
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
kawa

Post by kawa »

I also had the honor to attend this show (I visited my husband in exile and could not find another date ;-)) - and I also wondered why the hall was full.
leonardthecat

Post by leonardthecat »

I haven't made many videos at concerts - I did one at the Manchester concert. 'Anyhow'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBIb2Xzl6M
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

A friend of mine who is a very long term leonard fan , but last went to a concert in 2008 , went to the manchester show and offered these thoughts , well put i think

Yes absolutely brilliant David! I thought in comparison to 5 years ago (and Andrew agrees with this)he has actually improved considerably. So we thought you are right in your judgement that he keeps on getting better. Of particular note (and I'd love to hear your views on this as a regular follower of his concerts) was the fact that all his songs had more of an edge to them. I noticed he seems to have "got rid" of his clarinet/ wind instrument player (?). The lyrics of his songs have obviously always had an edge, a deeper poetic darkness etc. but this seems to be matched now by the musical sound. A harder sound and more varied rhythmically. His humour was as good as ever. We loved his cigarette joke! And we also both fell in love with the Webb sisters. So yes David thoroughly enjoyed it! I hope you managed to get Bev back to the car without too much hassle and hope the concert temporarily made her forget her pain. It was really nice to meet up with you both beforehand also.

To which I replied

Brilliant review - yes he is better in my opinion too , lovely deep vocal range and more relaxed .
Great form for someone who will be 79 in a few weeks The inclusion of the newer songs , including the wonderful ' come healing , the dark ' the darkness' , the tongue in cheek life review of ' anyhow', the gently self deprecating ' Going home ' add a lot and compliment the older songs. And a great cover of ' save the last dance' at the end too The band has never been better - fine musicians all and the inclusion of violin adds a lot Always love the droll humour Was sitting on the front row right in front of the webb sisters . I know what you mean about ' falling in love' . something to do with admiring such talent !
They compliment leonard's voice for sure On the grounds of talent I should also be in love with Javier mas !
Sharon Robinson's rendition of Alexandra leaving was also superb - what an astonishing song musically and lyrically
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

leonardthecat wrote:I haven't made many videos at concerts - I did one at the Manchester concert. 'Anyhow'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBIb2Xzl6M
And an exceptionally good video :D
Leonard's work resonates
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

Another great concert.
I was concerned that being a large arena and not being completely full that the atmosphere would suffer - but it didn't.

Leonard entered to a standing ovation and finished the first half the same way.
The next standing ovation came later in the concert for Sharon's outstanding rendition of "Alexandra Leaving". The aplause was well deserved and Leonard let it run and run before starting the next song.
The crowd was on it's feet from the end of Hallelujah until the end of the concert.
The front blocks were a mixture of forum members and those who has bought last minute tickets.
The day before the concert all but one of row B centre block were on sale at the regular price ( unsold premium packages) but everyone there was a fan.

The woman next to me had bought her seat at the last minute, she said the 2008 MEN Arena concert was "brilliant" but this one had been "out of this world".

Whist queuing to get in I was talking to a women in her twenties who had a pink mohican hair cut and a tattoo of Unified Hearts on her chest - This was her first concert. I tried to spot her later on in the audience to see how she was enjoying it but her stripe of pink was lost in a sea of grey (for which I was partly responsible).

A great evening.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Leonard's work resonates
phillip

Post by phillip »

it sure was a magical and mind blowing concert, I was sat in Block B with all the other forum members what a night :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.lep.co.uk/what-s-on/music/le ... -1-6029648
Leonard Cohen Phones 4U Arena

'Leonard still has me in his hands’

He was of course preaching to the converted. You don’t come to see Leonard Cohen in a spirit of inquiry...
A bulging back catalogue, the tribute of so many big name artists making cover versions of his songs, (not least Hallelujah), and the glory of others singing his praises, mean his concert tickets are coveted nowadays.

It wasn’t always the case. The last time I saw Cohen in live performance was at – yes – Preston’s Guild Hall circa 1979/80.

It most definitely wasn’t a sell-out all those decades ago – but it was a wonderful performance then and also last Saturday in Manchester, even if it’s a mellower, deeper, more sedate Cohen, pacing his music and making every word count.

Leonard opened with a pledge that they would deliver their best and and he and his team gave more than their money’s worth... a three-and-a-half-hour performance, which show-cased not only Cohen classics older and modern, as well as very recent compositions, but also the talents of a line-up of ace musicians and singers – including a commanding performance by Sharon Robinson, a long-time Cohen collaborator who sang a beautiful solo and a duet featuring the haunting voices of The Webb sisters singing “If It Be Your Will.” Guitarist Javier Mas mesmerised as he deftly played a variety of string instruments. (The close up screens at the Arena give an impressive insight into the skills of musicians and provided an equally engaging view of the percussion technique of Rafael Gayol.)

Neil Larsen on keyboards, Mitch Watkins on guitar, Alexandru Bublitchi on his glorious violin and musical director, bassist and backing vocalist Roscoe Beck completed the so talented line-up.

There were no flashy lighting effects or backdrops, just a hard-working team on the road working its way round Europe and focusing on what mattered most – the music.

If Leonard luxuriated in his songs old and new, so too did his audience – some even wiping away tears as Cohen classics were delivered, with minor and humorous timely alterations to the lyrics.

Yes, Cohen is an elderly trouper and troubadour now, but age didn’t stop him doing a silly skip on and off stage at the end of the night – signalling that it would soon be Closing Time.

The audience went home happily sated, leaving with a tune not from the Cohen back catalogue ringing in their ears – but a Tex-Mex version of Drifters’ classic Save The Last Dance For Me.

Fiona Finch
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by John Broadhead

Come Healing (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7MfQmYh20

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”