CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
John Etherington

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

Post by John Etherington »

susanne: Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll also be going to the London O2 concert.

Helen: Thanks for the link to the Pete Wrench review. It is very succinct and informative (especially for the wider public) and doesn't resort to the old cliches.

lightasabreeze: Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Where were you? I was in seat A22 wearing a black Webb Sisters T-Shirt.
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

I must have been asleep as I've only just noticed that Chelsea Hotel has made a return. I too lament some of the omissions (particularly Anthem and Sisters of Mercy) but I'd travel a long way to hear Chelsea Hotel - it has always been a highlight for me.
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
Lloydterry

Post by Lloydterry »

Shame about the non-appearance of Anthem (again). After re-appearing at Odense and Oslo, it seems to have vanished once more. Maybe fans at other UK shows will be luckier. Come on, Leonard!
1972 Leeds University, 2012 London Wembley Arena, 2013 Bournemouth.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Lloydterry wrote:Shame about the non-appearance of Anthem (again). After re-appearing at Odense and Oslo, it seems to have vanished once more. Maybe fans at other UK shows will be luckier. Come on, Leonard!
I was heartened to see that Anthem appeared on the playlist for both Bournemouth (as final song of the show cf Oslo) and Brighton (in its traditional position of closing set 1) so I think it must just be a question of time (or lack of it). Perhaps if one of the UK shows actually starts on time ....

Wendy
John Etherington

I must add that (although I like it) "I Tried To Leave You" has become something of a cliche, and because it's long and rambling it's the last thing you want to hear when there are so many songs and so little time (especially if you've got a train to catch!).
Lloydterry

Post by Lloydterry »

John Etherington wrote:I must add that (although I like it) "I Tried To Leave You" has become something of a cliche, and because it's long and rambling it's the last thing you want to hear when there are so many songs and so little time (especially if you've got a train to catch!).
Have to agree.
1972 Leeds University, 2012 London Wembley Arena, 2013 Bournemouth.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Lloydterry wrote:
John Etherington wrote:I must add that (although I like it) "I Tried To Leave You" has become something of a cliche, and because it's long and rambling it's the last thing you want to hear when there are so many songs and so little time (especially if you've got a train to catch!).
Have to agree.
The "problem" is that is it the band showcase number. Most artists have one and Leonard is no different. For that reason, and that reason alone, I think I Tried to Leave You will be around at the end of the show for a very long time - and let's face it, it's been there doing its duty for many a long year already.

Wendy
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

John Etherington wrote:susanne: Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll also be going to the London O2 concert.

Helen: Thanks for the link to the Pete Wrench review. It is very succinct and informative (especially for the wider public) and doesn't resort to the old cliches.

lightasabreeze: Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Where were you? I was in seat A22 wearing a black Webb Sisters T-Shirt.
Hi John I was front row A seat 26, right in the centre. And what a lovely place it was too.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
phillip

Post by phillip »

John Etherington wrote:Okay, Brighton report of sorts coming up, if I don't fall asleep at the keyboard. I arrived at Victoria Station about 4.20 pm, envisaging a 55 minute trip to Brighton followed by a leisurely stroll down the pier and a walk along the seafront followed by a sociable hour and a drink with all the people I planned to meet there. It was the perfect day for this. Anyway, after wrestling with a ticket machine for six minutes, I joined the queue and missed the 4.36 pm train. Not wishing to wait another 30 minutes I decided to take the fast train to East Croydon where I might have more options. On arrival at Croydon, I found that someone had just been found dead under a train nearby, thus severely delaying all trains heading south. For sixty minutes total pandemonium ensued and clueless staff could offer no words of consolation. At approximately 6.30 pm a Brighton train was finally announced, and hey presto I arrived in Brighton dead on 7.30 pm where I snatched a cheese and tomato roll and banana from Marks and Spencer.

Fortunately, Leonard didn't come on stage till 7.40 pm , so when I arrived he was still singing "Dance Me To the End of Love". A few of us listened to it by the door, until we were allowed in. It was easy enough to find my seat in the front row just off-centre, where I imagined I would be surrounded by Leonard’s most adoring female fans. As it turned out, I was surrounded by some well-travelled guys and the general smell of sweat, booze, and aftershave, which was not totally conducive to a romantic atmosphere. Nonetheless, I was right in front of the Webb Sisters and Sharon, with a perfect view of Leonard. Throughout the concert camera usage was mercifully minimal, and the audience were very respectful (even though the guy next to me sometimes shouted "woooaaahhh" at inappropriate moments). I realised that compared to O2, the Brighton Centre is relatively tiny; in fact it felt like the most intimate Leonard show that I’ve ever experienced. Leonard was in excellent voice and great spirits. It still astounds me how such perfection can be achieved night after night after night, with everyone looking and sounding immaculate. The set-list seemed to be identical to Bournemouth, with the addition of "Save the Last Dance For Me". I do feel that some crucial songs have been omitted , which overall diminishes the concert – I especially regret the omission of "Anthem", "Sisters of Mercy", "Hey That’s No Way Too Say Goodbye", "Democracy", and "Heart With No Companion". Furthermore, I would love to hear "I Can’t Forget", "Show Me The Place", and many more (plus I miss TWS cartwheel!). I certainly hope that some changes to the set-list are made before the London show.

At the interval the bar had the largest crowd I’ve ever seen, so a drink was out of the question. Fortunately I ran into Graham Webb, who was kind enough to buy me an ice-cream. I also met a handful of Forum people who were there…namely Padma, Karen and Chrissie. It didn't escape my notice that the queue for the ladies loo was so long that ladies were dashing into the men's loo and using the cubicles. Before the break ended, it was good to be able to direct my friends (birthday girl) Ulla and Susan to two unoccupied seats in the second row which meant a lot to them, so whoever who had to forego those seats can feel that their absence achieved something worthwhile. The highlight of the show was undoubtedly Sharon Robinson’s “Alexandra Leaving” which got a standing ovation. Leonard talked about his plan to start smoking again when he's eighty years old, and how he imagines his first cigarette being brought to him onstage on a silver tray by a nurse wearing white stockings. I’m not sure why Leonard still has to do all these false endings and comebacks, since that was the cue for an early surge towards the stage and everyone standing up. I quickly had three tall and enthusiastic ladies waving a banner in front of me, but resigned myself to the occasion and boogied the rest of the night away. Amen.
I enjoyed your review glad u had a good night and got there on time
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Very positive review in the Argus that, incidentally, finally explains for the general public why Leonard Cohen concert tickets are so expensive.
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

I agree with Wendy, so - in the nicest possible way, John, stop complaining and be grateful for every single song Leonard and his fantastic band play; just as Sharon showcases with 'Alexandra Leaving' and the Webb Sisters with 'If It Be Your Will', so too the other members in their various 'solos' throughout the evening, and to have them all 'in the spotlight' at the end of the gig is just a wonderful summation of all the talent on stage; i vaguely remember someone else on these pages, quite a while ago, wishing for a band member to turn to Leonard himself and "introduce" him to the audience and let him enjoy the moment. anyway, i'm more than happy to enjoy each and every one of Leonard's choices of any of his songs, wherever, whenever.
John Etherington

Jim - I'm sure Leonard knows that we love it all anyway, but it doesn't hurt to be critical and give feedback on which tracks we prefer to hear and which ones we don't. As I said somewhere here, it's just a matter of comparing the sublime and transcendental with the supremely excellent (unlike Dylan where it's which ones are identifiable)!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

John Etherington wrote:True love leaves no traces!
Hi John

I'm sure i'm not the only one with great curiosity about this 'relationship' with the Web sisters , though no doubt it's all highly confidential.
Must have been stressful hanging around for a train with i guess little clear information about when one would turn up, and sorry to hear about the tragic reason behind that
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
John Etherington

Caveat Emptor! :)
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
Lloydterry wrote:
Have to agree.
The "problem" is that is it the band showcase number. Most artists have one and Leonard is no different. For that reason, and that reason alone, I think I Tried to Leave You will be around at the end of the show for a very long time - and let's face it, it's been there doing its duty for many a long year already.

Wendy
Although i tried to leave you was omitted from several north american shows earlier this year
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”