CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
John Etherington

CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

Post by John Etherington »

Okay, Brighton report of sorts coming up, if I don't fall asleep at the keyboard. I arrived at Victoria Station about 4.20 pm, envisaging a 55 minute trip to Brighton followed by a leisurely stroll down the pier and a walk along the seafront followed by a sociable hour and a drink with all the people I planned to meet there. It was the perfect day for this. Anyway, after wrestling with a ticket machine for six minutes, I joined the queue and missed the 4.36 pm train. Not wishing to wait another 30 minutes I decided to take the fast train to East Croydon where I might have more options. On arrival at Croydon, I found that someone had just been found dead under a train nearby, thus severely delaying all trains heading south. For sixty minutes total pandemonium ensued and clueless staff could offer no words of consolation. At approximately 6.30 pm a Brighton train was finally announced, and hey presto I arrived in Brighton dead on 7.30 pm where I snatched a cheese and tomato roll and banana from Marks and Spencer.

Fortunately, Leonard didn't come on stage till 7.40 pm , so when I arrived he was still singing "Dance Me To the End of Love". A few of us listened to it by the door, until we were allowed in. It was easy enough to find my seat in the front row just off-centre, where I imagined I would be surrounded by Leonard’s most adoring female fans. As it turned out, I was surrounded by some well-travelled guys and the general smell of sweat, booze, and aftershave, which was not totally conducive to a romantic atmosphere. Nonetheless, I was right in front of the Webb Sisters and Sharon, with a perfect view of Leonard. Throughout the concert camera usage was mercifully minimal, and the audience were very respectful (even though the guy next to me sometimes shouted "woooaaahhh" at inappropriate moments). I realised that compared to O2, the Brighton Centre is relatively tiny; in fact it felt like the most intimate Leonard show that I’ve ever experienced. Leonard was in excellent voice and great spirits. It still astounds me how such perfection can be achieved night after night after night, with everyone looking and sounding immaculate. The set-list seemed to be identical to Bournemouth, with the addition of "Save the Last Dance For Me". I do feel that some crucial songs have been omitted , which overall diminishes the concert – I especially regret the omission of "Anthem", "Sisters of Mercy", "Hey That’s No Way Too Say Goodbye", "Democracy", and "Heart With No Companion". Furthermore, I would love to hear "I Can’t Forget", "Show Me The Place", and many more (plus I miss TWS cartwheel!). I certainly hope that some changes to the set-list are made before the London show.

At the interval the bar had the largest crowd I’ve ever seen, so a drink was out of the question. Fortunately I ran into Graham Webb, who was kind enough to buy me an ice-cream. I also met a handful of Forum people who were there…namely Padma, Karen and Chrissie. It didn't escape my notice that the queue for the ladies loo was so long that ladies were dashing into the men's loo and using the cubicles. Before the break ended, it was good to be able to direct my friends (birthday girl) Ulla and Susan to two unoccupied seats in the second row which meant a lot to them, so whoever who had to forego those seats can feel that their absence achieved something worthwhile. The highlight of the show was undoubtedly Sharon Robinson’s “Alexandra Leaving” which got a standing ovation. Leonard talked about his plan to start smoking again when he's eighty years old, and how he imagines his first cigarette being brought to him onstage on a silver tray by a nurse wearing white stockings. I’m not sure why Leonard still has to do all these false endings and comebacks, since that was the cue for an early surge towards the stage and everyone standing up. I quickly had three tall and enthusiastic ladies waving a banner in front of me, but resigned myself to the occasion and boogied the rest of the night away. Amen.
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 16 times in total.
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
Rodin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

Post by Rodin »

Vanilla or chocolate?
Misunderstood
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

John,

I am so glad you got to a show this time around. Your reviews are always a joy to read. Thank you!

I have to tell you, when I went to the setlist page and scanned the songs you posted, I was soooo jealous that you got to hear all these songs 'in no particular' order. My next thought was 'why would he not put them in order'. Then I read the whole thing :lol: I guess no reason to be green with envy.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
John Etherington

Rodin - Strawberry cheesecake

Mary - Thank you!
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Hey, John E!

What did you do to the Webb's?
That is what I want to know...
Attachments
Skjermbilde.PNG
There are many ways a man can serve his time
John Etherington

True love leaves no traces!
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

tsssssssk.....

I was not seized by jealousy at all
In fact a burden lifted from my soul
There are many ways a man can serve his time
LizzieM

Post by LizzieM »

I thought last night's concert in Brighton was the best I've been to. I love the subtle changes to some of the well known songs and really enjoyed hearing the newer ones from Old Ideas live.
Leonard and the band are amazing and I hope they know how much their dedication to giving a brilliant performance every time is appreciated.
There was also more laughter on and off stage than I've noticed before.
2008: Bournemouth, RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Wetbridge, Granada. 2012: Wembley (Hop Farm). 2013: Brighton.
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

A great report, John, many thanks for posting! I couldn't get tickets for Brighton but have just picked up tickets for Leeds which will hopefully lead to a reconciliation (!) with my 12 year old daughter who was all set to join me at the o2 until the date shifted to a school night. Brighton sounded wonderful - it seems to be a really intimate venue.

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
John Etherington

LizzieM - Sorry I didn't see you last night, and surprised you weren't near the front (did you book late?). My sister Rosemary who you've met, and her husband were there, too. I agree about the laughter onstage...everyone seemed relaxed and happy, and it was like a party atmosphere , which great to experience. However, there could be the danger of Leonard Cohen shows becoming widely regarded as a fun night out, which old-timers with masochistic tendencies might find hard to embrace!

Thanks, Tommy3 - The Brighton Centre feels intimate if you're near the front, but not if you're in the back balcony where I once was for Dylan. I hope you enjoy the Leeds concert. If it's an outstanding show, the next album could be "Leonard Live at Leeds"? :)
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

Wonderful concert,i left home at 3.45 am to get to it and it was well worth it.I'd graduated in that hall 27 years ago and it certainly brought back memories.I'm used to the Southern Irish concerts and last night's audience felt very different which also made it interesting.There didn't seem to be nearly as much alcohol around but maybe that's just a consequence of indoor concerts.The staff of the centre were welcoming and didn't seem to subject any of us to bag searches, first time ever i've not had to queue up.Some of the intonations in the songs were quite different to usual and I loved his version of Save the last Dance for me was breathtaking as a closing song.
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Thanks John. I've been wondering for some time whether we might be lucky enough to get another live album. The sound is now quite different from Live in London and Songs for the Road, so it would be wonderful to have a permanent record. Maybe I'm dreaming.
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

John Etherington wrote:Okay,..... night away. Amen.....
What a very good describe (I don't no the exact Word...)! Beautiful! Thank you!!
I enjoy it very, very much, every Word of it!
The Feelings, the Atmosphere that you describe etc.: that's the huge differences with the Audience in Switzerland.... (if you like, read my Report from Zürich, 24th of August)...

I really should have to go at a Concert in the UK rather then the one in my Hometown... it is a pity!
Makes me sad, but lucky for everyone of you, whio has a Chance to visit a Concert!
It is hard when you love the Mand and his Music, his whole Art and, of course, the Band, the Ladys especially... and then you have to see the reaction of a Swiss-Audience....
Makes me sad, as I wrote...
Was you ever at a Concert in Zürich? It is really difficult for every Artist...

I really like to hear, that "Anyhow" makes his comeback in UK!
I hope, it will be in the Setlist in Amsterdam, my last Chance...

I hope, that you can go to all of the other concerts too!
Thanks again and all the Best
Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

A glowing blog review from Pete Wrench.
Leonard is endearingly humble in the face of adulation. The way he rises effortlessly from his frequent kneelings and skips off-stage Eric Morecambe-like would still have been impressive were he a couple of decades younger. But at the heart of all of it he is still reliably nailing absolute killer songs in peak performances - last night 'Suzanne', 'Chelsea Hotel #2' and 'The Partisan' were all spine-tinglingly good, and I could say the same of more than half a dozen others.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Having been to Brighton before I knew the layout, so when I managed to get a front row seat right in the centre I knew it was going to be a good night. And it was. How does 3 hours plus, go so fast?
I was on my own and there was a lovely friendly couple to the right of me. Thank you if you see this.
Leonard has lost nothing over the last few years since he started touring again, in fact he is getting better.
What energy. He is amazing.

On a different note I think having to pay £25 parking fee a bit over the top though.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”