CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
regensburg

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brighton, AUGUST 28th 2013

Post by regensburg »

susanne30072009 wrote:
John Etherington wrote:Okay,..... night away. Amen.....
What a very good describe (I don't no the exact Word...)! Beautiful! Thank you!!leonard had a rough time in L.A. too.
I enjoy it very, very much, every Word of it!
The Feelings, the Atmosphere that you describe etc.: that's the huge differences with the Audience in Switzerland.... (if you like, read my Report from Zürich, 24th of August)...

I really should have to go at a Concert in the UK rather then the one in my Hometown... it is a pity!
Makes me sad, but lucky for everyone of you, whio has a Chance to visit a Concert!
It is hard when you love the Mand and his Music, his whole Art and, of course, the Band, the Ladys especially... and then you have to see the reaction of a Swiss-Audience....
Makes me sad, as I wrote...
Was you ever at a Concert in Zürich? It is really difficult for every Artist...

I really like to hear, that "Anyhow" makes his comeback in UK!
I hope, it will be in the Setlist in Amsterdam, my last Chance...

I hope, that you can go to all of the other concerts too!
Thanks again and all the Best
Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
Nefelly

Post by Nefelly »

Brighton was a fabulous venue, perfect size, very intimate My only criticism of venue is the lack of Ladies toilets !!!!!
I went to both Brighton and Bournemouth and so enjoyed both. I think my most favourite concerts in ages ....

Sorry about the Brighton car parking fee. Friends paid £10 for up to six hours at the Churchill Two car park on side road of the venue. No megga queues to get out, in fact not many cars there really,

I thought Leonard and company were all absolutely rocking and on top, top form. Just when you think they cant get any better, it suddenly does. Simply wonderful !!!!!
fusional

Post by fusional »

Really enjoyed the show - maybe the best overall performance I've seen from Leonard and the group. Was sat C18 so it sounds like plenty of people posting here were around me and my sister - and one thing we both said to each other was how friendly everybody was at the gig - was very noticeable how everyone was chatting etc in the front few rows.

Not much to add on the music front - I have to agree that it would be nice to fit it one or two out of Anthem, Show me the Place, Sisters of Mercy. I've been lucky enough to see him a few times over the past 6 years, so have caught all those songs, but I would have been disappointed if it was the only chance I had to see them.

Band was on great form - Sharon and the Webb Sisters seem to get better every time. Love Alex on the violin - adds to every song. Javier Mas and Rafael brilliant as always. I'm not as sold by the solos from Neil Larsen as much as the others - maybe because he seems to be playing the organ, but with a massive second keyboard blocking your view, so you can only actually watch him play on the screens. But that's a pretty minor gripe :P

Plus I had a banner.... "Brighton Up Leonard". But it was a bit small and felt a bit nervous bringing it out more than once or twice. Wanted to unfurl it after his "Walk to the mirror and say 'Lighten up Leonard' " spiel, but this didn't form part of his show. So, in the end, don't think he even saw the banner.
evie

Post by evie »

[quote="fusional"]Really enjoyed the show - maybe the best overall performance I've seen from Leonard and the group. Was sat C18 so it sounds like plenty of people posting here were around me and my sister - and one thing we both said to each other was how friendly everybody was at the gig - was very noticeable how everyone was chatting etc in the front few rows......

Being on the front row for the first time ever I would like to thank Jarkko so much and all the people involved in the forum seat allocation, that these seats were available to forum members rather than corporate bodies of people. I think this has made such a difference to the vibe.

Again met more very interesting forum members at the Globe pub and after the show 3 of us (who shall remain nameless for the sake of their own anonymity) were lucky enough to meet the Webb sisters.

A thoroughly enjoyable concert where all the band and singers looked to be enjoying themselves, I wish I was able to go to more concerts, Eve :-)
I heard of a man who says words so beautifully that if he only speaks their name women give themselves to him.

Manchester 1972; London O2 2008; Bournemouth 2008; Manchester 2008; Dublin 2012; Bournemouth 2013; Brighton 2013
crystal

Post by crystal »

Such a very great concert, Leonard and the band in such a great mood, we enjoyed it very much. Love the English audience, so helpful and friendly. I was impressed how few People were watching the concert through their mobile phone. Even the security People were nice shen they sent us away after the concert ended Hi to the small group of Forum members who met at the Globe. Nice meeting you all, we hope we meet you again some time some place. Would I have wished for other songs? Yes I miss might comes on and can think of many I would love to hear. Bu I can only think of one I could do without, as Long as Leonard is on tour, Plays his Songs for us everything is fine.
Now we enjoy a Couple of sunny days in Brighton and then go on to Cardiff.
Greetings from the beach, Christel
Dottiepippa

Post by Dottiepippa »

Only my 4th Leonard concert....it was magical. I love his concerts in small venues, as this was. Continues to give amazing performances as do all his band members and singers. They were without exception all exceptional. The added highlight for me, as was the case in Ghent, was that I met Leonard at breakfast and exchanged a few words. A charming man with the most delightful smile. Long may he continue to tour.
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

I have snatched an opportunity to catch up on this, as a little Hors D' Oeuvre for Birmingham next week. Thanks to all for the posts. John Etherington, like others special thanks for your great review. You always tell a great story and your Manchester Opera House 2008 was also epic.
I'm praying that Anthem makes a comeback for Birmingham. I enjoy a wide spectrum of music, the hairs stand on the back of neck when I listen to Barber's Adagio for Strings or Derek Bell's rendition of O'Carolan's Farewell to Music, but tears roll down my cheeks when I listen to LC's Anthem, live. However, there are so many 'must include' songs, Leonard would simply not get off stage for at least another Hour :D
Lloydterry

Post by Lloydterry »

Liamberney wrote:I have snatched an opportunity to catch up on this, as a little Hors D' Oeuvre for Birmingham next week. Thanks to all for the posts. John Etherington, like others special thanks for your great review. You always tell a great story and your Manchester Opera House 2008 was also epic.
I'm praying that Anthem makes a comeback for Birmingham. I enjoy a wide spectrum of music, the hairs stand on the back of neck when I listen to Barber's Adagio for Strings or Derek Bell's rendition of O'Carolan's Farewell to Music, but tears roll down my cheeks when I listen to LC's Anthem, live. However, there are so many 'must include' songs, Leonard would simply not get off stage for at least another Hour :D
Good luck with Anthem! I was hoping this would be performed at Bournemouth but it was not to be - either because of the 11pm curfew or because the clapping was beginning to peter out after three encores. It would be nice, of course, if Anthem was higher up the playlist then there'd be no time constraints.
1972 Leeds University, 2012 London Wembley Arena, 2013 Bournemouth.
Lemon haired Lady

Post by Lemon haired Lady »

Brighton is such a great venue, very intimate and being inside there was no constant stream of people getting up to go and buy alcohol. Bit disappointed that neither the spoken or sung version of A Thousand Kisses Deep wasn't included but despite that it was a superb night. Its pure joy listening to such a wonderful band of musicians and Alex is a great addition.

Downside of the night for me was that someone in Seat 44/45 Row E was so keen to get to the front at the end of the concert she pushed everyone out of the way and ran managing to stamp on my already broken toe in the process. I now have a large bruise and a very swollen foot. Thanks a million to whoever it was !!

On the upside we parked in the Trafalgar Car Park by the Station which was totally secure and only cost £4.

Good to meet up with other forum member even if it was only briefly.

Carole
depe

Post by depe »

I have seen Leonard in a range of venues in the past 2 years but I have rarely heard him in better voice than at Brighton. He was wonderful - the sea air clearly suited him and my sister and I didn't want the evening to ever end. Thank you Leonard, the girls and the band for a memorable evening I shall never forget.

Post by guest »

Just to add to the glowing comments here; Brighton was a wonderful concert in every way. For some reason I expected Leonard and the band to be slightly more tired and predictable than last year but they were as fresh as they've ever been and seemed to be having a great time. It was slightly less epic in length than last year's Europe shows but at the same time possibly more concentrated. Maybe it's my imagination but Leonard's singing seems even stronger and more passionate and the band seems to have become more integrated, allowing greater intensity in performance and a more flexible approach to the material. There were of course a couple of songs I would have loved to have heard (especially Anthem) but it would be very unfair to even complain mildly about that as we got, for example, wonderful semi-solo versions of Chelsea Hotel and Famous Blue Raincoat amongst other treasures, all of which seem to grow in stature with each new tour and performance.

Finally, the venue was surprisingly intimate (Infinitely better than being anywhere in the O2 London) and the audience was extraordinarily enthusiastic and appreciative. Thanks again all involved in making it possible for forum members to get these incredible front row centre seats!

(lightasabreeze, we enjoyed meeting you too! Hope you make it another show in due course.)
Last edited by guest on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springheeljack

Post by Springheeljack »

What a truly amazing night I had at the Brighton centre! I’ve been to Leonard concerts before, and I thought the magnificence of them couldn’t be improved…..…but it was. Leonard was unbelievably vibrant and lively, the opener ‘dance me to the end of love’ set the standard. I was stunned by how strong his voice was on ‘the future’ and ‘everybody knows’, it’s like the thunder of a god reverberating around the hall. During everybody knows, when the girls were singing the chorus, Leonard took the microphone away from his mouth and was screaming the chorus in high pitch, it was amazing to hear that he can still belt it out like that amongst the usual deep tones!

I noticed he started ‘the darkness’ with the third verse, which was a really cool change to make, completely changed the mood of the song, made it even more brooding. The new version of ‘lover lover lover’ is superb, full of life and passion and high tempo.
In fact on the tour this year the tempo seems quicker, Leonard seems fired up with passion and even aggression, a good example was ‘first we take Manhattan’, a real stomping rip roaring funky version going on!!

I couldn’t stop laughing when, during his ‘tower of song’ one handed playing on the keyboard, he said something like ‘I bet you think that’s all I can do?’ and then produced at the touch of a button some crazy comical beat for some seconds!!

And at one point he turned to his drummer Rafael Gayol and started some deep chanting while Rafael performed a solo, it seemed to take everyone by surprise! It’s the little things like that that make the show!

I was really impressed with the audience at Brighton too, the most respectful and attentive crowd I’ve been in. When Leonard played ‘Suzanne’ and ‘Chelsea hotel’, there was such a silence and awe in the atmosphere that gave the songs the sheer majesty they deserve. For once I wasn’t bothered by someone doing something irritating around me, which is in itself a triumph! The crowd cheered, joined in, cried for more, kept quiet, and clapped all at the right times.

It was fantastic to see Leonard doing his usual skipping on and off stage, but at one re-emergence he actually ran full pelt!! He seems so age defying, so fit and agile. I’m 33 and at my age now I wouldn’t be able to kneel like he does for so long and then hop back up! I’ve noticed on this tour that he seems to sing with his eyes open more which is brilliant, fascinating to watch his expressions.
I thought the venue itself was ideal for the style of music, the acoustics were great, it felt intimate.

I loved the encores!! Why not?? It seemed like Leonard was getting more and more stronger, like he could carry on all night, I think the man is super human! 

For me a Leonard Cohen concert is like a rollercoaster, he has me laughing, crying, sympathising, empathising, solemn, elated, he’s the ultimate performer. Even when he was doing nothing, while Sharon Robinson firstly and then the Webb sisters all performed to great effect without him, I still found myself watching his silhouette, head bowed and hat against chest, myself imagining his life from past to present and back again, welling up with awe filled tears.

I’ve read some criticisms about the same songs being performed and too many encores but for me this is utter nonsense. When I’m at a Leonard Cohen concert, every song, spoken word, movement, gesture, action, note played etc is cherished by me. Only finding Leonard ten years ago, I’m late coming to the party but everything about him is awe inspiring to me so every little moment is sacred.

I can’t wait for it all to happen again at the o2!! Thank you so much for everything Leonard! 
Dingbat

Post by Dingbat »

Thank you for that Springheeljack, lovely to hear such enthusiasm for the great man and his troupe and from a mere 33 year old too! Agree with pretty much all you say and this was the most enjoyable of the 4 concerts I have seen over the past couple of years.

Looking forward to a party at the o2 later this month, can't wait.
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse »

We got back home midnight Tuesday and this is the first chance I've had to read all the concert reports. Vicomté had read and posted a few comments about Bournemouth and Brighton but it's the first chance I've had to re-live it all myself.
Wonderful, brilliant, marvelous: what else can I add to the already overflowing and glowing accounts of everyone's reports.

Bournemouth was excellent as we had great seats but Brighton was even better, even though our seats weren't great; front row to the side: I ended the evening with a bit of neck ache but the atmosphere was somehow better. These smaller venues like Brighton and Caen (Normandy) are so much cosier and friendly.

One song Leonard never seems to play these days and one of my favourites is 'Joan of Arc'. I saw him singing it with Julie Christensen some years ago (either 1989 or 1993) and thought it so beautiful even better than with Jennifer Warne.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

It's odd that "Joan of Arc" rarely appears. I'm sure Hattie Webb could handle the female part well. The first time I ever heard the song was when Leonard sang it at the Albert Hall in 1970.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”