Does Leonard deserve a standing ovation for his UK dates?

A new, growing section for more exciting news
FOXWOOD

Does Leonard deserve a standing ovation for his UK dates?

Post by FOXWOOD »

Due to the fantantastic pre-sales we were offered , forum members should be occupying the first few rows of the UK concerts.

Although Leonard's magnificent keyboard solo during " Tower of Song" always receives rapturous applause I have never Known him receive a standing ovation for it.

Would a brief standing ovation from the first few rows be appropriate at this point in the concert , or would I be the only forum member standing?
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
Rodin

Re: Does Leonard deserve a standing ovation for his UK dates

Post by Rodin »

I stood up in Pula to applaud one part of a song.
Nobody else did. They sat like zombies.
Misunderstood
James T

Post by James T »

"if you recognise the song, could you maybe just raise your hands?"
James T

Post by James T »

I don't think it's the right kinda show for an ovation mid song, maybe that's because no one does it though! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for showing my enthusiasm mid song if I'm at a Spiritualized show or something, but Leonard I prefer to wait it out til the gaps...
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

How about a Mexican wave whilst Len is singing 'Suzanne'?
Misunderstood
James T

Post by James T »

Plus, on the front row I don't wanna risk annoying those around!
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

Don't wear that replica City shirt then.
Misunderstood
James T

Post by James T »

Right
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour »

FOXWOOD wrote:
Although Leonard's magnificent keyboard solo during " Tower of Song" always receives rapturous applause I have never Known him receive a standing ovation for it.
It is not exactly Jerry Lee Lewis is it ???
Leonard 'sends himself up' at that time ... very tongue in cheek and played for humour.

I never let it pass without a big hurrah though ...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The piano solo is a big joke and, if it gets a good response, Leonard will extend the joke - say some things and maybe play another solo or two. I say lets choose one show and give Leonard the standing ovation his piano solo so richly deserves. I don't think it has ever happened so let's do it and extend the joke on our side!

Wendy
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

FOXWOOD wrote:I have never Known him receive a standing ovation
Umm. Berlin early July 2009. For "then we take Berlin", everyone was standing, singing and swaying in time with the beat. Everyone. The entire auditorium.

A standing ovation has to be spontaneous or it loses all meaning.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

hydriot wrote:
A standing ovation has to be spontaneous or it loses all meaning.
Totally agree, an ovation is pointless otherwise.

hydriot, you are misquoting, this is what FOXWOOD posted:
FOXWOOD was talking purely for Tower of Song ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Foxwood was not saying that Leonard has never received a standing ovation. He is saying it has never happened after the keyboard solo in Tower of Song. I think it's a great idea and I say - go for it! I hope to see video. I would be standing right along with you if I was there.

Of course Leonard has received many standing ovations after songs. At the concerts I've attended, it usually happens after Hallelujah, Suzanne, or any number of encores. Sharon has received standing ovations for Alexandra Leaving too, of course.

Standing and swaying to First We Take Manhattan is not quite the same thing - a standing ovation is standing and clapping after a song (or solo, as suggested here) whereas standing and swaying DURING a song is sometimes just excited concert behavior. It would be like saying the Rolling Stones received a standing ovation for Satisfaction (when in fact people were probably already on their feet).
Last edited by mnkyface on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by scocoh »

Mabeanie1 wrote:The piano solo is a big joke and, if it gets a good response, Leonard will extend the joke - say some things and maybe play another solo or two. I say lets choose one show and give Leonard the standing ovation his piano solo so richly deserves. I don't think it has ever happened so let's do it and extend the joke on our side!

Wendy
I won't be there, but I think this is a great idea. Perhaps a show of hands, so to speak, here by forum members attending UK shows will show which particular concert will have the highest concentration of members in the first few rows.
suerussell

Post by suerussell »

I will be at the Leeds concert!

I am so befuddled by this post.... I would imagine most of Leonard's fans are from the original fans of singers and bands of the 60's and 70's. We were the generation of spontaneity and fun!

I think when Leonard first started to tour in the millenium we were shocked into a state of reverence because I think he was able to take his artistry to another level. Also we thought every concert could be the last one. I certainly did. Grief now I hope I have not jinxed things here.....

Even though I am very much older now, I still remember the thrill of listening to my first Leonard Cohen album in 1973. In some ways I become that girl again at his concerts, So yeah, if you want to organise a mexican wave or a clap at a certain point I will join in the mischievousness!

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”