CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway 20th Aug 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Päivi from Finland

CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway 20th Aug 2013

Post by Päivi from Finland »

Pleasant, lively and unforgettable concert! Mr Cohen! Thank You for MIRACLE which You promised us!! Lovely!
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
BlizzardofIce

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Oslo, Norway 20th Aug 2013

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Fantastic evening.
Quick recap:
Waiting for miracle in first set
Night comes on in second
Anthem after tried to leave you as last song.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Highly interesting and relaxed soundcheck in Oslo: Leonard did among others:
* Choices
* the new blues (a song in progress - it was also heard in Pula. Now cut to 9:30 min)
* "Az der rebbe tanzt" in Yiddish. A 1976 version of the traditional song "Az der rebbe singt", performed in Vienna, was posted by Arlene here: http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.no/2011/ ... singt.html
* The Guests
* La manic
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
swisschris

Post by swisschris »

Thank you Jarkko, for this information!
Must have been amazing watching Leonard perform these songs in soundcheck.
If only he would perform ALL of these songs in the regular concert....

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
SylviaB

Post by SylviaB »

lovely to hear all your reports. and herewith I apply for participation of soundcheck in Manchester (I know, this remains a dream) and all this songs from the soundcheck in oslo plus the miracle. but waiting for the miracle never stops...
Sylvia
James T

Post by James T »

Yeah, a Manchester soundcheck is a dream of mine also! Haha.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Set list posted by Anne R in the Setlists thread -
Anne R wrote:OSLO - SPEKTRUM- TUESDAY AUGUST 20
Start 20:00

Set 1
Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on a Wire
Everybody Knows
Who By Fire
The Darkness
Waiting for the miracle
Amen
Come Healing
Lover Lover Lover

Set 2
Tower of Song
Suzanne
Chelsea Hotel
Night Comes On
Sisters of Mercy
The Partisan
Alexandra Leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm Your Man
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz

Encore 1
So Long Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (Webb Sisters)
Closing Time

Encore 3
I Tried to Leave You
Anthem

Ended: 23.30? Lost track of time. Wonderful evening.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

TWITTER -
@TKLona - @GroHolme Takk for en fantastisk fin dag/kveld med deg, Leonard Cohen, fullmåne og gode greier! That's life! <3
[Thanks for a wonderful nice day / evening with you, Leonard Cohen, full moon and good stuff! That's life! ]
@ragnhildfd - - Håper de som var i Spektrum i kveld fikk vakre toner fra Leonard Cohen. Vakker, vakker mann.
[Hope those in the Spectrum tonight got beautiful tones of Leonard Cohen. Beautiful, beautiful man.]
@torav - Herleg konsert med Leonard Cohen og band i et fullt Spektrum. Gleder oss til finalen! Kven skriv betre songer om kjærleikens utfordringar?
[Glorious concert of Leonard Cohen and the band in a full spectrum. Looking forward to the encores! Who writes better songs of love challenges?]
@afaeraas - Leonard Cohen (79) for ein mann! Og bandet hans er eksepsjonelt. Har til og med ein professor på gitar!
[Leonard Cohen (79) for a man! And his band is exceptional. Even has a professor of guitar!]
INSTAGRAM:
#concert #theman #love #leonardcohen #wow #music #live #oslo #noir

Jeg er skjelven enda. Jeg var SÅ nære..og overbevist om at han smilte til meg! #LeonardCohen
[I'm still shaky. I was SO close .. and convinced he smiled at me! # LeonardCohen emoji]

Ok so we're probably the youngest couple in this blue rinse audience but I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING the music! Thank u mr Leonard Cohen x
#youvestillgotitleonard #spektrum #oslo #liquidgoldvoice #leonardcohen

There's a bar where the boys have stopped talking, they've been sentenced to death by the blues

Leonard Cohen. The Last True Gentleman. #leonardcohen#oslospektrum#shadows#hallelujah#consert

Leonard Cohen.......the best ever ♡♡♡

INSTAGRAM video bits -
Suzanne - http://statigr.am/p/527217481811207396_9188816
Suzanne - http://statigr.am/p/526870858401192122_216290133
I Tried To Leave You - http://statigr.am/p/526980382081023108_404510638
Lover, Lover, Lover - http://statigr.am/p/526865316401747608_342276636
Who By Fire - http://statigr.am/p/527575029307717123_386104140
So Long Marianne - http://statigr.am/p/527240644620148123_191308798
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.osloby.no/oslopuls/musikk/Al ... hSnF9iyFHB

GOOGLE TRANSLATION:
There is clearly an end to the time when Leonard Cohen could surprise, but he gives so generously of themselves that it is never a loss, feel our reviewer.
PHOTO: Signe Dons

Aged Man Won Our Hearts

Humble in demeanor, but intensely present in his spellbinding universe, writes our reviewer.

Svein Anders
Published: 20.Aug. 2013 10:54 p.m. Updated: 20.Aug. 2013 10:54 p.m.
Leonard Cohen
"Oslo Spektrum»

Leonard Cohen is a world star, and in Norway, he is bigger than most other places, but regardless of popularity and acclaim he maintained humility being. There is a special anticipation in the air. This man, we trust, he has something important to communicate to us.

Cohen takes the stage småjoggende - in his later well-known outfit, dark suit and matching hat, and are welcomed with warm smiles and joy burst from an enthusiastic audience.
Stunning Charm

He goes down on his knees and his low-key show he opens with "Dance me to the end of love" and has us in its grip immediately. His aging baritone still has a seductive appeal. While it is poetry power, singing the catchy melodic accessibility, his unique ability to communicate and warm humanity that makes us so strongly affected in the face of this unique personality of an artist.

So the man has also a quiet, disarming humor and captivating charm that goes home with an attentive audience. Next month he fills 79 years without it seem to bother either him or his receptive crowd. He will give everything he has to give.

And accompanying the words with "The Future".
Inner dialogue

We know his songs as well, but strangely enough there are some of his last sitting strongest in memory. This is not the derogation of "Bird on the Wire," "Everybody Knows" and "Who by fire" as delivered with intense presence. The band follow up placed great solo cuts, spanish guitar, organ, hand harp, bass and violin.

They are part of the bedrock of his catalog, but when he connects "The Darkness" and "Amen" from the album Old Ideas from last year, there is a kind of inner dialogue between them that highlight how timeless his songs may appear. From darkness into light. They are new but feels like old friends.

"Amen" creates an almost ethereal atmosphere of longing, while the blue print from "The Darkness" takes us somewhere else. This is followed by "The healing" and reconciliation can begin. His visual rich text on sweetness full romance, spirituality, loss and reconciliation, love and war and politics have a sincerity and depth few other artists touch as steadfast as our man.
Beautiful and elegant

It is a seasoned entertainer we meet, who knows what points he should press to achieve the desired effect. That said, there is no assumed or calculated by his behavior. He is part of their songs, not only made them, but he lived them out in detail.

The transfer of "Tower of Song" is tonight humorous adventure, while "Susanne" is the very essence of his magic. "Chelsea Hotel # 2" is another of today's pearls. Cohen looks beyond the audience with a wry smile, voices in the "I'm your man," and with the familiar synth theme and rhythm he is where he should be. He has us in the palm of his hand.

The singers Sharon Robinson and The Webb Sisters are helping to make the aging sage beautiful and elegant. His songs are so under bare beautiful in all its sadness. There is clearly an end to the time when Leonard Cohen could surprise, but he gives so generously of themselves that it is never a loss.

Concert

Leonard Cohen

Oslo Spektrum

Audience: approx. 8000

The review is based on the first two hours and fifteen minutes.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.vg.no/musikk/artikkel.php?artid=10100128

GOOGLE TRANSLATION:
O Lord My Hat
Beaming 78-year-old Leonard Cohen played Tuesday for a packed Oslo Spektrum. VG reviewer thinks the concert was almost perfect. Trond SOLBERGELVA

Male (78) "rocket" Oslo venue.
Leonard Cohen
Oslo Spektrum
Audience: Approx. 8000 (full)
Dice: 6

"Play one you can, 'a!" Roars an audience halfway through the concert.

It is by all appearances ironic.

Leonard Cohen concerts in recent times is predictably excellent. This also. It does not mean they are static or rigid. Especially nylon string guitar seems to bring out an extra improvisation will in him, not least in the vocal phrasing.

If you at all wanting anything more or anything else, it had to be that the acoustic or semi-acoustic, moments, was even more. They are namely unrivaled intense. Cohen is fully capable to elicit new life and strong magic really "unfolded" numbers "Suzanne" and "Chelsea Hotel No.. 2 ".

The band - everyone is dressed as mafiagudfedre in a "film noir" from 1940, in fedorahatter and dark suits - plays flawlessly. The sound is perfect.

It's like listening to a CD on a very expensive stereo system. Leonard Cohen sounds better on stage than on the sometimes claustrophobic "homemade" plates.

The musicians play softly, but with fire where fire is required. Especially the Spanish champion Javier Mas strict set fire at night, especially in the long intro to "Who By Fire". The words are still constantly in the center, the heartbeat of the show.

"Tonight we are going to give you everything we have," says the protagonist of introduction. A showbizklisjé given depth of wisdom: "We do not know if we meet again."

He gets a lot of fun out of the little synthesizer with stueorgellyd he plunk on the "Tower Of Song". He sings "Bird On A Wire" in a borderland between gospel and country. The solo on electric guitar persecuting country track. Hammond B3 organ takes it back to the church again.

His song list is a classic parade in any country. In Norway, it is also the cleanest hit parade. The newer songs are easy and welcome its place alongside the old ones.

Some of the older feel today as clean check attempts, written to seduce 68'er girls during the long evenings of wine Hydra in tough old. Overwhelming many of those he has written since "Various Positions" (1984) is about something that may be said to be more "precious", namely grace. (They are still, in a strange way, less self-important).

He sings them all as one, as prayers or incantations.

He begins accurate at 20.00 and ends exactly three and a half hours later.

Then he actually cut out a handful of songs he played in Denmark for three days ago (I'd love to have heard his interpretation of The Drifters' "Save The Last Dance For Me").

It is unlikely due to lack chore or inspiration, rather as a result of something as mundane as event technical reasons (Oslo Spektrum should preferably be emptied 23:00).

One could of course wish for a beautiful amphitheater and a lovely summer evening - rather than concrete bunker in the city center.

But the marathon man Cohen committed enough of a nearly perfect concert in a "lap of honor" that must be among popular music's longest, best, brightest and most inspiring, can not be disputed.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video -

Thanks to - TheMusikkdude

Dance Me To The End Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEcxpgAygKw

Bird On The Wire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXadDFSPL3w

I'm Your Man (wonderful - at the end "that's right ..." :D )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQCDuYwRNg

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGO9nCW4TI

Uploaded by Svein-Egil Haugen

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXd7QaVG8U
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.dagbladet.no/2013/08/21/kult ... /28817792/

rock's greatest seducer and gentleman.

GOOGLE TRANSLATION:
NORWAY FRIEND: Leonard Cohen's soft rock gangster of love, as usual, wearing a dark suit and film noir-inspired hat. Here in a pose he often uses on his knees, eyes closed and an intensity as if he is trying to push their songs into the microphone. Photo: Thomas Rasmus Skaug / Dagbladet

Leonard Cohen gave everything Oslo for three and a half hours
78-year-old seduced the audience from the first stanza.

Fredrik Wandrup fwa@dagbladet.no
Wednesday 21 August 2013, 11 am: 16
Where: Oslo Spektrum
Attendance: 7900

CONCERT: On the heels of its nine musicians come Leonard Cohen småjoggende onto the scene in Oslo Spektrum, as if to demonstrate that 78 years is no match for a man of his casting.

Skinny but resilient. He immediately goes down on his knees, with sincerity to a suitor who does not know the word no.

Fantastic band

It is the audience he courted. For a velvet red background invite him to dance with "Dance Me To The End of Love." The violinist Alexandru Bublitchi plays the instrument almost catches fire, guitarist Javier Mas orbiting Cohen with their pushchairs.

Frank Sinatra trouble with the high notes in his later years, but Cohen goes deeper than ever.

I do not know the concept of Cohen Norway friend, but he does it quickly became clear that he was happy to be back.

- You all know that I have a special relationship to Oslo, he said. And tonight we're going to give everything we have.

This is not an empty promise. "I did not come here tonight, friends, to fool you," he sings when he after 18 songs appear to "Hallelujah," in a version with help from organist Neil Larsen recovers the song from every conceivable challenge.

Great solos

But before that he has been through its unique repertoire of songs, songs that are so closely associated with his voice that first comes into its own when he performs them. At the same time, he uses the band in a dynamic and creative way. Everyone gets the best out of themselves, not least through solos that glide effortlessly into the events.

And behind it all, a most solid bass & drums section, respectively, by the Mexican Rafael Gayola and Texas musician Roscoe Beck. They are constantly present, distinct, but so gently that this genre requires.

Even Ironic

Thematically, these songs are very different from the welcoming "Dance Me ..." to the doomsday stord to "The Future." From a country sounding and introspective "Bird On A Wire" with a brilliant solo by guitarist Mitch Watkins, of the suggestive and grim "Everybody Knows".

Then a frantic acoustic guitar introduction of twelve need from Javier Mas, Wizard of Barcelona, ​​which constantly creates a flamencosug in the songs. The song turns out to be "The Who By Fire". Further into the threatening love song "Darkness" into "Waiting For The Miracle," "Amen," "Come Healing" and "Lover Lover Lover", all this before the break, more songs than ever so far on the European tour.

Comedian

Back on stage playing Cohen keyboard with even ironic stand-up effect of "Tower of Song," before he gets a guitar's neck and running a race that gets the audience to sigh collectively in ecstasy, "Suzanne," "Chelsea Hotel # 2» , "Night Comes On," "Sisters of Mercy" and the fabulous ballad "The Partisan."

Like always, backup singer Sharon Robinson microphone and sings very beautiful "Alexandra Leaving". Then roll it towards the end of regular time, with gullrekka "I'm Your Man", "Hallelujah" o g "Take This Waltz."

Back on the dance floor, this time in Vienna, before the band leaves the stage. But the end is not.

Wild applause

The entire audience standing on "So Long, Marianne" and "First We Take Manhattan." Out back, but quickly returned, with "Famous Blue Raincoat" and korjentene Webb Sisters strikes with "If It Be Your Will." Cohen takes over with "Closing Time", and finally "I Tried To Leave You". He'll be the last, with the song "Anthem".

The crowd goes dizzy into the night, after enough an evening of nearly three and a half hours of rock's greatest seducer and gentleman.
Marlene J.

Post by Marlene J. »

Oh, I am so envious of all of you who were able to attend this concert! It is good to see that you enjoyed yourself and were happy with the concert. I was very pleased with the concert I attended in August last year, I'm sure this was just as good. :)
2012: Fredriksten Fortress, Halden, Norway
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

marianne.jpg
Marianne with her husband Jan and friends.
Photo by Eija
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
anny

Post by anny »

must have been very special !!
did Marianne and Leonard 'laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again' ??
very curious to see some photo's if somebody wants to share them with us. pls?

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”