CONCERT REPORT: Odense, Denmark, August 17, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Odense, Denmark, August 17, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

Odense is located on the island of Funen. It is the third largest city in Denmark and the birthplace of fairy tale writer Hans Christian Andersen and Danish composer Carl Nielsen.

The venue is King’s Garden (Kongens Have) - a park of English, romantic style gardens, archways and rose gardens, lanes and grassy lawns, statues and flowering plants - located in the center of Odense. The Royal Gardens / grounds surround Odense Castle, a palace built in 1634 as a summer residence for Christian IV.

Odense Castle - Kongens Have

Previous Concert Report threads for shows in Denmark -
July 5, 2008 - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11564&p=127952&hil ... rk#p127952
October 17, 2008 - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12570&hilit=copenhagen
August 14, 2010 - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22636&hilit=copenhagen
August 25, 2012 - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32625&hilit=copenhagen
August 26, 2012 - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32631
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Odense, Denmark, August 17, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

There is an exhibit of Leonard Cohen's art in Copenhagen - at Poulsen Art Gallery, Aug 16 - Sept 1

http://gaffa.dk/nyhed/75144

GOOGLE TRANSLATION -
Leonard Cohen vernissage: Images from another world
The Canadian champion exhibitor images in Copenhagen - I wonder if he came to his private view?

By Morten Ebert Larsen
Photo: Photographer Morten Rygaard --- http://www.mortenrygaard.com

See lots of photos from the vernissage in GAFFA gallery section
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... yhed/75144

Gallery Poulsen Flæsketorvet in Copenhagen gave Friday afternoon rooms for private viewing. The exhibitor is not just anyone. Leonard Cohen exhibits until the end of the month his drawings and paintings in the meatpacking district, and GAFFA was there when the gallery for a few hours was transformed into an inferno of people, cold beer, a misplaced dj without hankering for Cohen, red wine and especially lots of pictures .

Cohen guests Saturday night Odense, where he will give a concert in the Royal Gardens. Thursday, he played in Stockholm, and therefore, he had actually koncertfri Friday. Among the many guests, including myself, it was inevitable question: Could the master himself really find to troop up on a Friday afternoon at Flæsketorvet? The answer was unfortunately no. What could he really have done to the private view? Yes, the question is allowed to flutter in the wind forever. We had just hoped he would be there.

Initially it was supposed to canadierens son Adam, who is also a musician, should have given a few numbers, but because of concerts elsewhere in Europe, he had no opportunity to submit vernissage one visit. He still visits the gallery on 29 August, when the attendees will have the pleasure of becoming acquainted with his musical universe. Instead of live music had gallery arranged for a DJ who stood in stark contrast to Leonard Cohen's universe.

Once in the store

The gallery owner Michael Poulsen had a busy afternoon with lots of activity on its land, but could, however briefly tell that he already before the show had been allocated two of Cohen's images will hang outside the country. Michael Poulsen told also that his own relationship with the exhibited artist most flourished in youth, but in recent years he had found Cohen up again and discovered new qualities in the 78-year-old Canadian.

The range in age from those who attended were very scattered, but the affluent side with retirement savings were in the majority. This was probably very fortunate, since the images price starting at 13,000 dollars and continued steadily upward. One of the two already sold pictures was the most expensive in the entire collection, the "Dear Heather", which is also the title of Cohen's album from 2004. It went for 48,000 pounds.

Two women among the slightly more mature audience was Laura Simonsen and Inger Ferbing from Copenhagen.

Why have you come here today?

- We got an invitation, and so did we actually do not know that Leonard Cohen also painted. At home we both have most of his albums, and therefore it would be interesting also to experience it here.

- There are some common features that recur in both places. Humor include an important part of Cohen's universe, both the music and the painting.

Two young women from Ireland and Germany had also found their way to Flæsketorvet. Sue of 31 years and Eva, 27, are both big fans of the master's music and are also in place to Odense concert.

Why can a man like Leonard Cohen hit young people like you?

- It's his sexy voice and the depth of poetry and lyrics. The music touches us deeply. The young artists tell us not so much as Cohen. He hits us.

Unfortunately we did not get a glimpse of the main character, but he acts on Saturday 17 August Kongens Have in Odense. In writing still tickets.

The exhibition in Gallery Poulsen runs until 1 September. Read more here: http://www.gallerypoulsen.com

See lots of photos from the vernissage in GAFFA gallery section

http://www.dr.dk/P1/Kulturnyt/Udsendels ... Y.facebook

GOOGLE TRANSLATION -
Leonard Cohen Exhibits In Denmark
Kulturnyt 14 August 2013 kl. 12:46 P1

The Canadian musician and writer Leonard Cohen coming to Denmark to exhibit in Copenhagen and a concert in Odense on Saturday.

Cohen has not only musical skills, but also artistic. Over the last 40 years he has painted next to the songs, and even he sees them as acceptable creations.

- If there were no paintings in the world, then would my be very important, he humbly said.

Kulturnyt has been gallerist Morten Poulsen, who exhibits Cohen's works at Gallery Poulsen in Copenhagen on Friday, in the studio.

He will tell more about the quality of Cohen's image and how it relates to him as a singer and songwriter.
And - LOTS of pictures here from the exhibit opening -
http://kopenhagen.dk/magasin/blog-singl ... y-poulsen/
Opening: Leonard Cohen: Artworks @Gallery Poulsen
AF Torben Zenth
http://galleriramfjord.mamutweb.com/newsdet530.htm

Statigram:
By Elizabeth Ramfjord/Galleri Ramfjord - Love this pic :-)) #leonardcohen #galleriramfjord #summer2013

Seen on TWITTER -
@GalleriRamfjord - Marianne Ihlen foran bildet som Leonard Cohen tegnet av henne i 1960 <3 #leonardcohen #solongmarianne http://instagram.com/p/dICB2-nSso/
[Marianne Ihlen in front image Leonard Cohen signed by her in 1960 ]
There is a slide show of pictures of some of Leonard's artwork - here -
http://www.b.dk/billedserier/se-leonard ... illedkunst

http://www.b.dk/kultur/billedkunstneren-leonard-cohen
One of Leonard Cohen's images now on display in Copenhagen. This picture is called: "It was the Hat, afterall" (detail)
The artist Leonard Cohen

By Kim Flyvbjerg
17 August 2013, 18:58

"If there were no paintings in the world, my be very important," says Leonard Cohen with his usual warm modesty about his art, for the first time can be seen in Denmark.

The first Danish exhibition of his art can now be experienced here in Copenhagen.

The 78-year-old Canadian is not just a poet, writer, singer and songwriter. He has spent the last 40 years also expressed the pictures, and it was they, as a large array of locals showed up to watch as the small Gallery Poulsen in the meatpacking district in Copenhagen kept opening on Friday afternoon.

In his usual Meatpacking District-style was canned beer and pub and an extremely busy office, where they were sold out of the numbered and signed works at prices from 5000 to 50,000 pounds. 'I was told that Leonard Cohen has no formal relationship with his art. He'd rather not put on a pedestal where people attack it or take it too næsegrust, "says Jakob Kvist, creative director at Artpeople - publisher had the opportunity to arrange the exhibition through a Norwegian contacts who are friends with his son Adam Cohen .

See Leonard Cohen's art - http://www.b.dk/billedserier/se-leonard ... illedkunst

Art people contacted Informations art critic Michael Jeppesen, and together with gallerist Michael Poulsen they arranged the exhibition, which has previously been shown in Toronto, Helsinki and Oslo.

But what seems Michael Jeppesen on Cohen as an artist?

"I'm not even huge Leonard Cohen fan, but people are crying when they hear his music. They feel that they are being invited into his life. How I feel about his pictures. They are all made when he gets out of bed and look in the mirror and feel how he feels. He paints the people who lies in his bed, or the people who should be in his bed. He paints a life that should be an icon worthy, but which are not. And I think everyone can relate to. So in that way it's pretty great art, "said Michael Jeppesen.

As a fan of Leonard Cohen's music can be at the show immediately recognize the work with the hummingbird, the heart and handcuffs that were used on the cover of the album "The Future" from 1992. The woman who is on the cover of "Dear Heather" from 2004 hangs there too along with the bird from the cover of his poetry collection "Book Of Longing" from 2006. In addition, a series of portraits of women and even more self-portraits, most of which are accompanied by an entertaining text. "One of those days når hat does not help," reads the text of the self-portrait "The Hat" where Cohen posing in his trademark fedora.

And this is perhaps the hops. Cohen is first and foremost a word man. Were they naive pictures alone, and they were not created by just a world famous singer and poet, they were probably not as interesting. And so what, says Michael Jeppesen:

"Everyone is trying to separate the artist from the work. But it's a silly thing to try. You have to take context with. Leonard Cohen is an icon, and the images are all about him. About himself, his life and his relationship with women. '

Leonard Cohen rarely talk to the press these days, but have posted a few comments on the show in a press release.

'The curator has called the exhibition of Leonard Cohen Artworks. I even call my works Acceptable Decorations, "he writes, continuing with his usual warm modesty:

"If there were no paintings in the world, my be very important. The same with my songs. But now that it is not the case, let us hasten to get back in the queue. '

The exhibition runs until 31 August at Gallery Poulsen, Flæsketorvet 24, meatpacking district in Copenhagen. Thursday-Friday. 12 to 17.30, Saturday. 11-15. gallerypoulsen.com
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 am, edited 9 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From the Webb Sisters Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/thewebbsisters

Outdoor concert in Odense today.
That means anything can happen.....
~like this........
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Linda

Denmark may be a small country, but as far as the Danish are concerned, Copenhagen and Odense are distinct cities on different islands!!!

Rosenborg Slot is in Copenhagen. So far as I know, there is no castle at Kongens Have, Odense which is situated in the centre of a beautiful, relaxed Danish town. I can't remember much about the park as it's a few years since I was last in Odense so I couldn't tell you if the description of romantic style gardens etc is correct or not.

More info on Kongens Have, Odense here:
http://www.odense.dk/topmenu/borger/bym ... ens%20have

Translated by Google:
"King's Garden is Odense's finest and oldest garden. It is a regal setting for play, picnics and summer concerts, a lovely green hallway and welcome to visitors and citizens alike. It's Odense's main green area and connecting center, railway station center and eventually harbor.

King's Garden has been renovated
Through 2009 Kongens Have been renovated and it has happened with great respect for the garden's long history and many values. At the same time, however, there has been added a number of new opportunities and experiences in the garden. The renovation has happened with solid and classic high quality materials to suit the garden's other elements and long history. You can on these pages read more about the renovation and about the art and history."

Also, your info re previous Danish concerts since 2008 is incorrect. Leonard has only played in Odense once before in that period (in August 2010). The July 5, 2008 concert was in Copenhagen, not Odense, as was the August 25, 2012 concert. In addition, Leonard has played two concerts in Jutland: Arhus (July 6, 2008) and Aalborg (August 26, 2012). Apologies to our Danish friends if I have missed any others but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Denmark may be a small country, but as far as the Danish are concerned, Copenhagen and Odense are distinct cities on different islands!!!
Wendy

Rosenborg Slot is in Copenhagen. So far as I know, there is no castle at Kongens Have, Odense which is situated in the centre of a beautiful, relaxed Danish town. I can't remember much about the park as it's a few years since I was last in Odense so I couldn't tell you if the description of romantic style gardens etc is correct or not.
Wendy - thank you for your clarifications. I do know Odense and Copenhagen are two distinct cities. I actually looked at a map - and also googled to see the distance between the two cities since the art exhibit is in Copenhagen. I do also confess that information I read at a number of different internet sites was confusing. From what I have read - there is a castle located in Odense. I think my mistake was calling it Rosenborg Castle rather than Odense Castle - and I will edit. And if that doesn't set thing right, I will delete as necessary.

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongens_Have_%28Odense%29
Kongens Have (Odense)
King's Garden is a park in central Odense , located to Odense Station . The park is bounded by Railway Street to the west and Eastern Stationsvej north. The area is approx. 20,000 m².

The original baroque garden, which Odense Castle is located, was built around 1720 on the French model. The garden was laid out as an axis having a center and symmetrical straight times. About 100 years later it was changed to English romantic garden style. The corridors were now made curved.

The garden was purchased by the Municipality of Odense in 1907 , when it was made ​​available to the public. Until then, there was a fence around the garden. It was removed in 1909 , which also was installed electric lights in the garden. The park's southwest corner were involved in 1914 for the construction of Odense Theatre . Another reorganization took place in 1920 , which included removed a pool of water in front of the castle. In 1980 was founded one herbaceous borders west of the main building, and in 2005 the entire garden protected. To make the garden more comfortable to move in after dark, several hedges felled in 2006 .

The garden contains some protected trees that are over 100 years old, including copper beech , tulip and magnolia . The garden contains two statues. In front of the palace has since 1987 been a statue of King Frederik VII , which previously stood on Flakhaven . At the entrance to the Eastern Stationsvej and the old railway station has since 1912 been an equestrian statue of King Christian IX . Both statues were erected with funds from Odense's population.

During the occupation, the first September 1940 , gathered 35,000 citizens for demonstration in the form of community singing in the King's Garden. Also today fills the garden a significant role in city life. Every year in summer, Odense free Thursday concerts in the garden with names like Anne Murray and Johnny Cash , and the park provides a framework for other cultural events. In the month of Christmas turn the city scouts 500 candles in the garden.

In 2006 was announced that a design competition for a restructuring of the King's Garden. This restructuring is expected to cost around 15 million. lion, occurs in stages.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

sturgess66 wrote:From the Webb Sisters Facebook -
The picture isn't from Odense (I believe, many of us have noticed that). The Sisters remind us the Ghent 2012 rain (as far as I remember, the rain that caused the appearance of so many blue raincoats in the audience).
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Now we've sorted that out, perhaps we can leave the thread for reports from people who are at the concert?

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Goldin wrote:
sturgess66 wrote:From the Webb Sisters Facebook -
The picture isn't from Odense (I believe, many of us have noticed that). The Sisters remind us the Ghent 2012 rain (as far as I remember, the rain that caused the appearance of so many blue raincoats in the audience).
Thanks Roman - I knew that picture was familiar - that I had seen it before. :lol:
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From INSTAGRAM - the stage -

http://statigr.am/p/524620096538785567_203718692
Just an hour until the poet arrives @leonard Cohen #leonardcohen

http://statigr.am/p/524669642684853244_9842649
Leonard Cohen with @kristiankirk #concert#leonardcohen#kongenshave#greatmusic#music#photo#picture#photooftheday#odense#denmark

Tower of Song - http://statigr.am/p/524731796823614475_182125392

TWITTER -
@hbladt - Leonard Cohen er i Danmark for 5. gang siden sit comeback => Jeg er til Leonard Cohen koncert for 5. gang #verdensbedstesange
@ hbladt
[Leonard Cohen is in Denmark for 5 time since his comeback => I am Leonard Cohen concert for 5 time # world's best songs]
@rasskovbo - Har lige været vidne til en 78-årig Leonard Cohen fyre en koncert på over 3 timer af i Odense. Jeg er
http://instagram.com/p/dIZd51P_2h/
[Having just witnessed a 78-year-old Leonard Cohen guys a concert at over 3 hours of in Odense.]
@basecamp07 - Doors open in Odense! #leonardcohen pic.twitter.com/QfEx4WyYJs
B4real

Post by B4real »

I love that photo of Marianne! The juxtaposition of Leonard's sketch of her in 1960, as she is now and the child says so much about life!

On another note, so to speak, I'm very glad Anthem is back on the set list basecamp just posted here for Odense! And as the last song too ....
I'm interested to hear from anyone who was there as to how it sounds now.....if there were any major differences from when it was previously presented.

Also, it seems there were 32 songs with one unkown at this stage.

Just a picky note regards the Set Lists -
I know they are mainly just copied from the source but I wish they would write "Bird On The Wire" instead of "Bird On A Wire".
And as far as I know, it is officially "Darkness" without the "The".
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lassepeder

Post by lassepeder »

An amazing concert! Writing from the train on my way home from Odense, here is the set list of yesterday's concert:

FIRST SET
1. Dance Me to the End of Love

2. The Future

3. Bird on the Wire

4. Everybody Knows

5. Who By Fire

6. Darkness

7. Amen

8. Come Healing

9. Lover Lover Lover

SECOND SET

10. Tower of Song

11. Suzanne

12. Chelsea Hotel #2

13. Sisters of Mercy

14. The Partisan

15. Alexandra Leaving (performed by Sharon Robinson)

16. I'm Your Man

17. Hallelujah

18. Take This Waltz

ENCORES 1

19. So Long, Marianne

20. Going Home

21. First We Take Manhattan

ENCORES 2

22. Famous Blue Raincoat

23. If It Be Your Will (performed by The Webb Sisters)

24. Closing Time

ENCORES 3

25. I Tried to Leave You

26. Save the Last Dance for Me

ENCORES 4

27. Heart With No Companion

28. In My Secret Life

29. Ain’t No Cure for Love

30. Anthem
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Here's a bit of video - uploaded by tangofisk -

Suzanne (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEVVWHk08sI
B4real

Post by B4real »

Could someone please confirm the correct set list? Seems we have two slightly varying ones.

basecamp's in the set list thread:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33984&start=15#p336278

and lassepeder's listed above.
Thanks!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Frostbitez

Post by Frostbitez »

Lassepeder's list is correct.

I was in the garden myself and it was as usual an amazing concert. I was a bit worried that we would get an shortened setlist. The concert started 20:00 and according to the promoters website it should end 23:00, but luckily LC don't care about closing time so he came back for a fourth encore :-D

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafjGKtnVGc
Lover Lover Lover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksm4uPUFgps
Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W661gk2C0Tg
The Partisan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_cO8ffrWts
Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOryG3hAlsc
Last edited by Frostbitez on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

B4real wrote:Could someone please confirm the correct set list? Seems we have two slightly varying ones.

basecamp's in the set list thread:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33984&start=15#p336278

and lassepeder's listed above.
Thanks!
basecamp's setlist is a prediction for next year! (Sorry Hans ....)

Wendy

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”