CONCERT REPORT: Vienna, Austria, July 27, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
neo

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Vienna, Austria, July 27, 2013

Post by neo »

I'm glad, you enjoyed the shows that much. Viennese audiences can sometimes be cold and very detached. I'm glad that Cohens magic did work on them, but I'm sure he must have worked a little harder in Vienna to achieve his goal. There is an unspoken rule among the viennese music and arts society, that if you don't find a spot of critique and you haven't intellectualized the experience enough, then you have missed the true aim of the arts. This is of course bullshit, but I have seen concerts where bands had a hard time to work through that. An audience as ecstatic as you described is a rare thing in Vienna.
What sad religions they want us to believe.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Happy24 - some wonderful pictures. And so glad for you - that you realized in time. That the show - at the concert hall in Vienna - was Saturday and not Sunday!!

Neo - the critics seemed to be out in full force and there were a lot of them. I guess longstanding tradition in Vienna dictates this is very serious business. I was glad to read that Leonard passed the test - with flying colours - great reviews. ;-) :)
(The last time I recall see SO MANY reviews for one of his shows was Toronto.)
neo

Post by neo »

I am happy that Cohen won them over, but I never would have doubted it. You are right, for the critics this is some serious business ("This is the city of Mozart and Beethoven. So let's see what he is worth...") and audiences tend to fall for that too. But it can happen that with that mindset critics don't get what gem they have in front of them. Patti Smith was seriously pissed after her first Vienna performance and refused to tour that city for many years on.
What sad religions they want us to believe.
-rehli-

Post by -rehli- »

Thank you 'happy24' for your review and the great photos!
1974: Paris Olympia
2008: Zurich
2009: Venice
2010: Basel | Strasbourg | Stuttgart | Las Vegas 2x
2012: Verona | Paris Olympia 2x
2013: Lucca | Vienna | Zurich | Amsterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Happy24,

Your review was well worth the wait as were all your fantastic photos - thank you so much!!!

After being at the first concerts in Vienna at the beginning of this tour, where the audience was indeed very 'reserved', it is so good to hear that the audience showed their appreciation in many ways at this time around in Vienna.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
astranger

Post by astranger »

Is there a bootleg of this surfing around? I've been watching a lot of the videos. Simply spectacular.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
holydove

Post by holydove »

astranger wrote:Is there a bootleg of this surfing around? I've been watching a lot of the videos. Simply spectacular.
I recorded this beautiful concert (& probably a few other people did too). Once I upload, edit, etc., either I or someone else will start a vine where you can sign up for a copy of the recording. I hope to get it done within the next week or so.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

We just arrive last night from Vienna; what a City!
This very beautiful, historical Buildings from the "K + K"-Epoche...
The View is breathtaking... not only, because it was 39°, which was obviously very much "too much", at least for me....
But this historical Buildings are countless.... And all are just in a exceptionally Trim: the all are newely restored....and the Dimension of the Streets, from the Places and from the Buildings are extraordinary... Vienna is totally different, it is really playin' in another League
Never ever saw so many beautiful, old and perfectly restrored Buildings in a City. And, with a view exeptions, you can look at them and see theme all "by foot"...

The Concert:
"There's a Concert Hall in Vienna, where you Mouth had a thousand Reviews.."
And all of theme has to be exceptionally good... everything else can't be right; who's says something else, was definitely visiting another Concert.

First of all: it was a very touching Evening with Leonard and all his Band and Crew; even Leonard and the UHTC-Members gave us the Feeling, that the Concert was a especionally Evening last Saturday Night... I mean, you know the differences and you can understand theme: nobody can't be in the same "Shape", Day after Day, Night after Night, Concert after Concert....
And so we did realise it very soon, that this will become "a memorable Evening" with him, THE MAN and the UHTC.

Even the Tourbook-Sales-Man welcomed us by giving us a "hug"... this was very touching for me: I see the Man since 2008 only at the LC-Concerts, and I know from himself, that he's "on the Road" for over the last 20 Years.
So you know, the Perfromance itself, a Part of the Audiences and, of course, the Cohenites, becomes to a big "Family" in a kind of Way...
I would like to describe it, what's goin' on, when I'm in the Audience and waiting "for the Miracle to come".... But it is simply not possible: it is indiscrebable for me and it's overwhelmed me everytime with pure Emotions.... I can't say it with other words... The Words can't get in touch with the experience itself; it is simply not possible, never can't be...

The "Stadthalle Wien" has the Charme "of a Deepfreezer", beside from the fact, that the Temperature was quite the oppisite...
When we entering the Stadthalle at 18.30, it was still 34°.
And then the mess with the V.I.P.-Catering started: what the Concert-Organizer was thinking, when he organized V.I.P.-Catering-Area: this will be his personal secret for ever...
I mean, not even the staff didn't know, where they have to send us. At every Checkpoint, I told the Staff-Member, that we want to go to the V.I.P.-Catering-Area.
And what did they do? They send us in the "counter-Clock-Direction", directly to our Seats....
When I realise this, we get back to the last Checkpoint and tell theme once again, that we are hungry, that we have the V.I.P-Tickets and that we want a Drink: in other Words: that we want a part of this, what's in the V.I.P-Tickets are included: Good, a Drink, just simply to go to the V.I.P-Catering-Area!
You know, it was the very first Time, that we bought V.I.P.-Tickets with Catering and so; I mean for E 295 (each one).... I mean, this is a lot of Euros, isn^t it....
I can't afford it at every Occasion. But we have had a very good reason: my Wife had her 60th Birthday two Days later, that's why we buyed the V.I.P-Tickets...

Then, 35 Minutes, before the Concert was start at 19.30, a Controller-woman showed a little bit of compassion, grab her cellphone and ask for the V.I.P.-Catering-Area... and hey, she told us, where we have to go: back, where we came from..... c'mon....
So we was Walking through the whole Stadthalle again (you can't go straight, you have to go around the Center Stage-Floor).
Then we have to enter a stairway and passing through a Checkpoint, where we get our "Plastic Blue V-I-P-Bracelet". This "blue Bracelet" allowed us the entering of the V.I.P.-Catering-Area....
I personally was hoping to try out some of the sooo many different Menues, that they had there.... but we simply didn't have any Time left! We all know, that Leonard want to start sharp....
And we have to say this: the V.I.P-Catering-Area was way TOO HOT!! I didn't understand this: this wasn't surely not the first Performance with a V.I.P-Catering, they surely have experiance.
And so they have to know about how to instruct the Staff and to organized a view Airconditions or Ventilators...
It was a "Little scandal" when you see, what you have earned for E 295. The "normal" Price for the Seats in the first rows was E 120.... Do I have to say more?

So in fact we have a 2 Mile-Walk and 2 glases of Strawberry-Champagner for E 350! THIS IS, sorry to say, A SCANDAL FOR ME. It has absolutely nothing to do with Leonard Cohen and all of the Band-Members
Infact, I'm sure, if Leonard himself would know about this mess with the V.I.P-Tickets and the V.I.P.-Catering, he would be the first one, who would stopped things like this,
IT IS DAYLIGHT ROBBERY! Nothing else! But I knew, thar Leonard and the UHTC will be make this mess up.... and they did it in a perfect Way!
And, honestly: I was hoping to get some things, what they get in the States, when the buyed a V.I.P-Ticket: but we didn't get NOTHING. No Litho, no "hankey" with the "LC"-Monogram, no small LC-Wallets or whatever they gave to the V.I.P.-Ticket-buyers there...
There was not even a Person, who did know, where they have to send you to the VIP-Room with the Food and the Drinks....
I mean, for E 580, I can expect a little more "knowing", a Little bit more of Respect and a fair Buffet and: enough Time!
I will write to the local Concert-Manager: this is just a shame for the Concert-Organizer.....

"And I'll Dance with him in Vienna...."
The Concert was another outstanding Performance! The People clapped, before they enter the Stage.... and then, the Fire was lightening up! It's another high-Quality-Evening with Leonard, Sharon, Hattie, Charley, Javier, Andreu, Mitch, Roscoe, Neil and Raffael... another perfect Concert with so very much Highlights...
I saw the Show 5 times 2013, but I get not tyred to see and hear them again and again and again... it's hard to understand, I know and I can understand the critics, who says: if you have him see once, you knew it.... that is simply not the fact, especially not with Leonard Cohen.
He's a pure Magician, a true and professional Gentlemen who treats his Audiences with respect and gratitude. The Feelings: I can't tell in Words, what goes on inside of me, when I did see him and all of the UHTC (even the Tourbook-Salesman) again: it is just "pure" and "real" for me; in this very rare Moments: nothing else is important, litterly nothing else matters anymore... He bring out a total different side of me... I am not an extroverted Man, in reality: I'm in fact a Little shy. But when Leonard enters a Stage, I'm in another World, in another Dimension: nothing else counts (without any Substances). I can really describe it in better Words. Imean, I have seen hunderts of Musicians over the Years. In Fact, I'm a Elvis-Fan (the 1969 to 1977 Elvis). I do like Barry White, Tina, Bruce, Rainhard Fendrich, Pink Floyd... they are countless. I do like Classics. But also the Crooners.... But what this Man can do with me: I really don't understand it myself.... he put me straight in another Dimension. What he does withe the Words, with simple Words, that is outstandning. I'm melting away each and every time, when I hear him. But when I see him, then it is so much more intensiv to me!
You can imagine, what was goin'on in Vienna, when Leonards Tribute to Federico Garçia Lorca, the first Tunes of "Take this Waltz" can be heard: the whole Audience stands up and we all sing and Dance the whole Song together....
But before this, there was some Scene, that I never had to whitnessed at a Leonard-Cohen-Concert: again, this has to do with the local Concert-Organizer: after "Lover Lover Lover", Leonard announced the Break (as he does since Lucca).
So the "normal" rush to the Drinks or to the refreshing Rooms starts. And then the People get back into the Center Stage Floor. Normaly, the Staff tell the People, that they have to go to their Seats. But not in Vienna. They let the People stand at the Stage-Chaine. Leonard was allready Playin' "Tower of Songs" (without any Panflute-Tunes this time; but instead of his well knowed "Are you houmering me" he says: "Ah, you are sooo very cruel"). And, as a true Leonard-Cohen-Fan, I thought, that I have to go to the Stage-Chain right now, because after this, it will be too late...
And then, some ugly Scenes came up: right before the second third of the Song, they deside to send the People back to their Seats....
You can imagine, what a Tohuwabohu begun: some of the Fans didn't want to leave; I formyself turned around and walk "over my row-neighbours" again...
And some of the Securitys get's in a bad Mood: he was shouted so loudly to a Woman. Her Husband screaming back some Words, that I dind't want to use here...
Leonard did see, what was goin' on and try to "cool" theme down in his very own style...
He was successfull, and everybody was "cooling down"...
But, as usual, by the Introductions at the End of "Take this Waltz", noone can't hold the crowd back.
So we run for it. Lucky me: I was in a super-Position, directly in front of LC, so I could make over 1'000 Pictures.... the best I ever could make from LC and the UHTC.
"So Long, Marianne" was the second climax: when the Audience-response is very good, Leonard let them sing the Refrain.... and he let us quite a view Times.... he was a Little bit touched.
Of course, it is not the first Time, that I have this Feeling... But as I said in a Interview with the "Westdeutscher Rundfunk" before the Concert starts in Obergausen at the 25th of June: He gives you the Feeling, that he is here and sing only for you personally.
Then the "Lazy Bastard" whos "living in a Suit" brings some silence back, before the third climax was delivered: and so we "Take Manhatten" in a stroke: the Walls of the Stadthalle was shaked in the Refrain from the Audience.
"If it be your Will" was perfectly clear: instead of Hattie, poor Sharon has a cold now (it's not necessary to say: nevertheless Sharon delivered an absolutely Super-Version of "Alexandra's Leaving": get well soon. Sharon!!)
Then, "Closing Time" neared slowly, but surely...
Im a Little bit proud that I can say: with a view People at the left from the Stage, we could animate the Audience, who was Standing in the Stagefloor, to Sing after Leonard's Refrain "It's Closing time" together "No No No".... It became louder and louder...
A lot of Poeple smiled, even Leonard, Sharon, Hattie, Charley, Javier, Andrea, Mitch, Neil, Roscoe and Raffael was having a Little Fun; It was great!
When the first Tunes of "I tryed to leave you" can be heard, we all know, that the Concert was coming to his end.
Personally, I was hoping for "Save the last Dance for me", and Leonard didn't disappointed me.... he never did, he never ever will do, because it is simply not possible.
Sure, I was hoping to hear "Anthem", "Waiting for the Miracle", "Different Sides", "The Window", "When the Night Comes on", "La Manic" and most of all "Anyhow"....
But I know, this list would be endless, if everybody can tell him, "please sing this one or that one"....

Leonard: I'll take every Song, you want to sing!
I deeply appreciate your Work and your Effort, to go on Tour, to enter the Stages around the World....
One Thing makes me sad: 5 from my total of 6 Concert are "past"....
That's why I have buyed tickets to the last European Concert in Amsterdam, which makes me smile...
I really could't write my Feelings down in the right Way... I just can say: he is Leonard Cohen.
He has the best Musicians around him.
He is a perfect Gentlemen.
He is delivering a Concert, which is worth any Money....
He's a true Master and Plays in his own league! Nobody cant't reach him...
If you have the opportunity to see him life on stage: don't miss it, that's all I can say
And I did see, tha some Concerts in Australia ans New Zealand are announced... so maybe we have alittle Chance for another European Tour.
Personally, I don't expect this. I think, a new CD and, most of all, a new DVD and CD from the European and American Concerts 2013 would be JUST GREAT. SO THIS IS MY PERSONAL WISH TO THE MANAGEMENT, if Lenny decides, not to go on Tour in Europe in 2014...
I just love the Live-Experiances with Leonard and the UHTC!
Take care. Lenny, and enjoy all of it! Have Fun; you gave us everything! That's more then we can ask for! Love you!

Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
Last edited by susanne30072009 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doris

Post by Doris »

@ holydove: Ja, pleeeaase. That would be so great. Thank you very very much for doing this.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
susanne30072009

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Vienna, Austria - July 27, 2013

stella s. wrote:This video shows the reaction of the audience to Take this Waltz. Thanks Gallina!
http://youtu.be/iD8MBbHxmzc
Hi Galina / Stella S.. I was the Guy right beside you, the one with the cane and the blue Glasses (yes, the one who's sings so terrible at "So Long, Marianne" and at all other beautiful Songs... We was having a short Chat with each other, right by "Take this Waltz"... I want to thank you for your Videos, they are GREAT.... besides my wrong tunes = they would be perfect. Would you send you them to me? I will send you about 900 Pictures from the Vienna-Concert (about 80% are perfectly clear...) If you are interested, please contact me, ok?
I look at your Videos again and again and again.. Thank you!!!
Do you come to Zürich and / or Amsterdam?
Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Take this Waltz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLe9YgLW4o
the security in front of the stage over reacted to the now familiar audience rush of the stage at Take this Waltz. I was up front but had to back away so I missed the start of the song. I usually dont upload incomplete videos, but I really wanted to shoot this in Vienna for obvious reasons.

The Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRHuxhw-HI

Lover Lover Lover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZRdW52FkVs

enjoy,

Albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Albert,

Excellent videos as always!

"There's a concert hall in Vienna" .....

I love this next verse ...... "And I'll dance with you in Vienna"...... :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
-rehli-

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Vienna, Austria - July 27, 2013

Post by -rehli- »

gallina wrote:Hi friends, I've created a playlist on my youtube channel, so you can watch all my videos from the concert.

Szilvia

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... nLKwCRhq1M

You have to open it in a new window, I think....

Hi Szilvia

I love your videos and your titles: NO-NO-NO and AY, AY AY AY :lol: !!!
Thanks!
1974: Paris Olympia
2008: Zurich
2009: Venice
2010: Basel | Strasbourg | Stuttgart | Las Vegas 2x
2012: Verona | Paris Olympia 2x
2013: Lucca | Vienna | Zurich | Amsterdam
susanne30072009

IrishAL wrote:Take this Waltz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLe9YgLW4o
the security in front of the stage over reacted to the now familiar audience rush of the stage at Take this Waltz. I was up front but had to back away so I missed the start of the song. I usually dont upload incomplete videos, but I really wanted to shoot this in Vienna for obvious reasons.

The Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRHuxhw-HI

Lover Lover Lover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZRdW52FkVs

enjoy,

Albert
Hi Albert
You're absolutely right; they overreacted at this stage.... Saw never ever something like this at a Leonard-Concert... And what a language they used to the People...
But as I wrote before: the local Concert-Organisation did not a very good Job... in fact, they did a bad one...
But, of course, Leonard and the UHTC make this "Images go away"....
But I was very sad, when I did see, what they did to the People in the front...
The Crew make the mistake: they should never ever allowed the People to stay there... but they was having a "Break" too, and so the things goes their own Way...
And on the other Hand: what they didn't to to the VIP-Ticket-Buyers....
Makes me a Little bit angry...
But as I said: has nothing to do with LC... But if they had seen a LC-Show or hearing to the People, who did know something about the Show (or maybe ask the Crew?), this all not would be happened...

Albert: thanks for your Videos, great as always....
Uwe + Susanne, Siwtzerland
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

VIdeo uploaded by idope50 -

Dance Me To The End Of Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqGN0BVxEXg

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”