CONCERT REPORT: London, UK, June 21, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
HelenOE

Re: CONCERT REPORT: LONDON, JUNE 21, 02 ARENA

Post by HelenOE »

There's no doubt about Leonard Cohen's credentials as a poet and man of letters. But anyone who does battle with the recalcitrance of blank pages wants the words that eventually result to reach someone. And think of how many people Leonard's words are reaching on these tours. Admittedly, the serial beer-swillers and the talkers-over-the-performance aren't getting their money's worth... but the words are having a deep impact on more than a few, and the most recent of those words no less than the old favorites. I think he's also reaching people who are not old fans, and that too is a wonderful thing.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

A Concert Report thread is for those who were at that particular concert to report. That is my simple approach.

I would happily read a report thread for any concert from Kurdistan to Katmando but I would not contribute to it unless I had been there. ( There are lots of other threads for the rest of us. )
Simple, isn't it?

(I have only been impelled to contribute to this thread by the intervention of interlopers...)
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Athnuachan wrote:A Concert Report thread is for those who were at that particular concert to report. That is my simple approach.

I would happily read a report thread for any concert from Kurdistan to Katmando but I would not contribute to it unless I had been there. ( There are lots of other threads for the rest of us. )
Simple, isn't it?

(I have only been impelled to contribute to this thread by the intervention of interlopers...)
Thank you Athnuachan. My sentiments exactly. This is no longer a concert report thread. Started off badly, improved with real reports, but has now descended back into the drivel that many on here seem to thrive on. PS - It was a piece of blue material that was thrown on stage. Not pants/panties/ knickers. Take it from one who was there.(close to the action -ooh vicar!) Like Leonard, I thought nothing of it. Quite why others do, beggars belief.
To live outside the law you must be honest
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Just want to put in a good word for Linda ( Sturgess66) who in my view regularly makes valuable contributions to the concert threads by signposting us to resources I , and I am sure others , use appreciatively.
Keep up the good work !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

quote="cohenadmirer"]Just want to put in a good word for Linda ( Sturgess66) who in my view regularly makes valuable contributions to the concert threads by signposting us to resources I , and I am sure others , use appreciatively.
Keep up the good work ![/quote]

Mmmm.. As I say, lost It's way a bit. Didn't realise support was being canvassed, or sought. Truthfully believed that first hand reports/impressions of a gig was what this thread was all about. Silly me.
To live outside the law you must be honest
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour »

Athnuachan wrote:A Concert Report thread is for those who were at that particular concert to report. That is my simple approach.

Simple, isn't it?

Well said. How can anyone write about something that they have not attended or seen ....
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

To do anything is better than to do nothing.
I'd like to ask you, Linda and Helen, please, continue your work if you still enjoy it! I (personally) appreciate it.
I (personally) have a right to post this. As long it is still a forum.

On the other hand, maybe, it's a good idea to ask moderators to separate this thead at last: 1) London report, 2) other stuff (including this post and several others).
Maybe, it's not a good idea. Moderators know their work. I simply DON'T WANT TO TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT TO DO, AS LONG AS THEY ACT LEGALLY AND MORALLY.
ah, funny me -
when I teach someone, I need their attention and I tell them how to act in a classroom - but that's the least impressive part of a teacher's work as for me;
also, it doesn't make any sense here, because we don't teach each other (we shouldn't, in my opinion); we contribute to the forum community in order to make it more informative, more entertaining... less friendly (?!)
anny

Post by anny »

maybe" COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS REGARDING CONCERTS " ????
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More very good video uploaded by “carolinetillyann”

If It Be Your Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMA95woRrw

Save The Last Dance For Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqYcY4tr-Ls
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainm ... w-o2-arena
Leonard Cohen live in London: our highlights

By Joe Daniels | 25 June 13

A poet, a novelist, a one-time monk, a veteran clothes horse and a multi-platinum selling singer-songwriter, Leonard Cohen certainly plays a bow multi-strung. Naturally, when he announced he'd be playing London's O2 Arena, we made sure to be front and centre for the 78 year old Canadian's quintessential brand of deep-voiced existential balladry. Here's our five standouts from a night with "Laughing Len":

1. A Cohen gig wouldn't be complete without cerain nuggets of wisdom. "When you stay in a hotel, you may find in the bathroom a retractable mirror…" he told us, before cautioning, "If you are over the age of eleven, do not look in that mirror."

2. The similarly loquacious Jarvis Cocker remarked when interviewing Cohen last year that Leonard's voice had become so deep, he thought it might "go all the way." One of the few songs of love from Songs of Love and Hate, on "Famous Blue Raincoat" the young Cohen's erstwhile baritone vocals gave way for the husk of Cohen today. The result: all the longing of the original, with the embittered world-weariness wisdom has brought him.

3. The ubiquitous glut of identikit covers of "Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley's notwithstanding - have done little to diminish its raw emotive force live. It speaks to the song and performance's strength that the crowd broke its revered silence to sing along.

4. The man's a sage even when introducing his band: from "The timekeeper, the prince of precision, Rafael Bernardo Gayol " on drums, to bassist Roscoe Beck, "a veteran and a victim of these long campaigns." One thing's for sure, if you're good enough to play with Cohen, you've earned just about the most lyrical welcome you're likely to get.

5. "Going Home", the opening track from 2012's Old Ideas, tonight played towards the end of the set, saw Cohen jovially sending up his own myth: "I love to speak with Leonard… He's a lazy bastard living in a suit". Though of course a touch unconvincing coming from a septuagenarian three hours in to a set, tonight's airing was a welcome reminder of the potency of Cohen's newer material, aging with the sort of grace you might struggle to find in a muddy Pilton Farm this weekend…
And, as a bonus, a review in Russian, written by my request by Dmitry Chernikov (a concertgoer, don't worry about that! ;-) ): http://lcohen.ru/london-2013
All credits to respective video and photo owners are listed in the post.
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.
martali

Post by martali »

Goldin wrote:
And, as a bonus, a review in Russian, written by my request by Dmitry Chernikov (a concertgoer, don't worry about that! ;-) ): http://lcohen.ru/london-2013
All credits to respective video and photo owners are listed in the post.
Great review Roman, I've read Dmitry's story with the feeling I was there :D
Thank you both soooo much !

Marta
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Zimmy66 wrote:quote="cohenadmirer"]Just want to put in a good word for Linda ( Sturgess66) who in my view regularly makes valuable contributions to the concert threads by signposting us to resources I , and I am sure others , use appreciatively.
Keep up the good work !
Mmmm.. As I say, lost It's way a bit. Didn't realise support was being canvassed, or sought. Truthfully believed that first hand reports/impressions of a gig was what this thread was all about. Silly me.[/quote]

As you will see Zimmy the concert report threads are a bit wider that just 'first hand reports' and all the better for that. I supported linda , who regularly contributes valuably to concert threads ,because i felt that was the right thing for me to do. You are right that support was not ' sought or canvassed ' . There occasionally seem to be inconclusive debates about what should or shouldn't be in the threads .The answer seems to be ' whatever members feel like posting'. Fortunately this includes a lot of first hand accounts -many beautifully written .
i think only offensive, severely off topic or contributions that break the basic forum rules seem to get ' moderated'
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Just got an email from AEG: 'Five Stars for Leonard Cohen!
Leonard Cohen's performance at The O2 London last Friday was an unforgettably magical evening that proved once again Leonard's status as a musical legend. With a career spanning six decades and sell out shows around the world, the writer, poet, troubadour and hugely influential artist continues to prove that the hunger to see him is undiminished.

Check out the 5 star reviews from The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian below:

- The Guardian
"Every song – all the hits, plus a handful from last year's Old Ideas – beams out pure"

- The Daily Telegraph
"Moving and majestic…the 'Sistine Chapel of live performance'."

Make sure you don't miss the chance to witness Leonard's incredible performance by getting your tickets for the August / September tour now:

AUGUST
26 - BOURNEMOUTH BIC
28 - BRIGHTON CENTRE
31 - MANCHESTER ARENA

SEPTEMBER
3 - CARDIFF MOTORPOINT ARENA
5 - LEEDS FIRST DIRECT ARENA
8 - BIRMINGHAM LG ARENA
14 - LONDON THE O2
They're really giving him a push!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
da2008

Post by da2008 »

as long as they give me "the second show"

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”