CONCERT REPORT: London, UK, June 21, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
HelenOE

CONCERT REPORT: London, UK, June 21, 2013

Post by HelenOE »

Trip to London to see emerging artist Leonard Cohen with @Murf2727
Massive black cloud suddenly over London. Leonard Cohen must just have hit town.
Can't wait to peer into the Tower of Song for another mind-blowing evening of bathing in the deep philosophies of The Master: Leonard Cohen
Here begins a two-week holiday. About to see a young up-and-coming musician called Leonard Cohen. Should be good.
@The_O2 I've been asked to tweet you by a friend watching #LeonardCohen. He asks if you'd kindly turn it up, please!
I am so happy I can't even tweet #LeonardCohen #EverybodyKnows @LeonardOnTour
At #leonardcohen gig at the O2. Amazing performer of amazing songs. (Bloody long queue for the gents at the interval though.)
Amazingly, had no experience of #leonardcohen before...the octogenarian is wowing a packed O2!! I've never seen anything like it
At Leonard Cohen O2 - genius!
Just cried like a baby when Leonard Cohen did Bird on the Wire. Sorry about that.
(tweeter was a male)
Interval at Leonard Cohen concert at the O2. First half was superb so more of the same please.
Leonard Cohen rocks! When they said repent, I wondered what they meant.
Leonard Cohen favouring a very natty hat at the O2 tonight. From certain angles could be @StrangeRichard 's dad.
At the O2 Leonard Cohen has just shared his greatest piece of wisdom from 79 years of life: "Never look in those magnified hotel mirrors".
Cruising for cougars at the Leonard Cohen gig.
The mark of a good PhD supervisor? They take you to see the incomparable Leonard Cohen!
The most emotional gig I have ever been to, thank you Mr #leonardcohen
At the O2 -Leonard Cohen. Pure magic. Huge respect.
#leonardcohen #legend Can't believe he's 79 years old?! #O2
Tonight Leonard Cohen sings with some new band members - violin virtuozo is from Moldova! No better ambassador! Bravo
Leonard Cohn is splendid. And what a band he has with him! #leonardcohen
Not much crowd surfing in the mosh pit at the O2 Centre, but Leonard Cohen is looking more like Leonard Nimoy than ever.
Just spotted @damiangreenmp at this Leonard Cohen gig. Several Parliamentarians here tonight, it seems.
Just getting intimate with #LeonardCohen
That Leonard Cohen has sold out the 02 tonight has restored my faith in humanity. What a charmer and what a quality act!
Watching Leonard Cohen in concert. He has the energy of a 20 year old. He sprinted on to stage.
The incomparable Leonard Cohen .. oh man
“Lighten up Cohen.” [Leonard Cohen talking to himself at the O2]
In a box, drinking free booze and watching Leonard Cohen play at the O2. Everything is alright.
Watching Leonard Cohen read poetry to the transfixed masses. Noel Gallagher should listen and learn how to write a lyric.
HelenOE

Re: CONCERT REPORT: LONDON, JUNE 21, 02 ARENA

Post by HelenOE »

I'm afraid I got the order of these a little wrong. Ah well, we probably have a good idea what the correct order should be.
Half time at The 02 in London with @DavidSt29268319 - a master class from Leonard Cohen.
Leonard Cohen... Live... amazing... I love you wife!
#Leonard Cohen about to come for 2nd half. Amazing voice still at 79
Leonard Cohen at the O2...he's in great form. Part 2 about to start :)
Buzz of antıcıpatıon for second half #leonardcohen concert about to start. Can ıt be as AMAZING as fırst half?
At London's O2 Arena for Leonard Cohen, who is on magnificent form. Great seats mean that even this cavernous place feels intimate.
@Slyquinn Because, Mama Bear, I'm watching a fecking Leonard Cohen concert!
Leonard Cohen is 78. Seventy-eight! And he (and his band) are awesome.
With @stuartmwrites and Leonard Cohen at the 02 http://yfrog.us/mq3mdddagqvyagoaccjdyyvoz
Leonard Cohen at the O2 lives up to his reputation Magical, funny and serene at 79.
So who's at #leonardcohen tonight? If you aren't I fear you have made poor life choices...
Watching Leonard Cohen at the O2. wonderful
#leonard Cohen at the O2 fest of nostalgia regret music and poetry
The incomparable Leonard Cohen @the 02 #ringthebells
Oscar and I are surrounded by babyboomers at #leonardCohen gig in London tonight, loving the old smooth operator! :-)
Legendary wordsmıth & sınger #Leonardcohen + hıs extraordınarıly talented backıng musıcıans do not dısappoınt! #O2
anny

Post by anny »

it doesn't matter Helen
thks to you we have the very first reactions !!!!! :D :D

thank you
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

An excellent concert.Leonard really seemed to enjoy himself.
There seemed to be a very respectful atmosphere during the show,little,or no talking,during songs huge amounts of applause though.
There was a strange incident when a woman threw what looked like a blue cloth onto the stage.Leonard didn't pick it up whatever it was.
At the start of the encores the crowd surged forward into the aisles and sang along with the songs.It felt more like a Irish outdoor concert rather that a huge arena.
A great night.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

It was truly wonderful. My 11th LC gig in a matter of years, yet it still had the power to move me to tears about 4 times. Just glorious. I thought it was a bit more restrained than previous gigs, but that is not in any way a complaint, quite the opposite. I agree that Leonard really seemed to enjoy it. What a night. I thought the sound / balance was not great for the first half - it was quite hard to hear the Webb Sisters as clearly as normal, but that was sorted out.

Each to his / her own, but if that's becoming stale, I'm a banana!

Can't wait for the next gig.

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Did #leonardcohen just gangnam style it off stage?
The sublime Leonard Cohen at the O2. Not depressing but uplifting with a gentle sense of humour #leonardcohen
At Dukes for cocktail before Leonard Cohen's gig.i can't believe I am seeing this legend… http://instagram.com/p/a1n4RBu6yb/
Leonard Cohen was, as always, the closest I come to a religious experience.
Leonard Cohen is a genius. Six encores later, it’s time to go butcher his songs in a karaoke bar.
At the age of 79 #leonardcohen still takes you to an unforgettable 3h journey and makes you forget the time and everything else. Thank you!
Wow! Leonard Cohen at the Millennium Dome. 79 years old, but boy! He can still hit those low notes.
Don't get it. At Leonard Cohen concert and many middle aged men have donned the tour t shirt. Why would you do that?
Shame he changed the "anal sex" reference in The Future to "careless sex" though. #leonardcohen #theo2
Despite some disastrous 'clapping along' by the audience during First We Take Manhattan, I thoroughly enjoyed Leonard Cohen tonight.
Privileged to be under the spell of the legendary Leonard Cohen and his magical musicians, 'Alexandra leaving' the sublime Sharon Robinson
#O2 Leonard Cohen. Deep, mesmerising, minimalist, impeccable. Perhaps better today than ever. Brought me back to life!
#O2 Leonard Cohen. At 79 on a world come back tour started 4 years ago in Bucharest where he is much loved.
Humbling and Inspiring!
Leonard Cohen 3 hours absolutely awesome
#music In the O2 spaceship, spellbound by the Great Wizard of story telling Leonard Cohen and his magical musicians.
What an exquisite trip!
Just seen the coolest man on the planet @leonardcohen@theo2
The Daughter is 17. Delayed reply as just come out of O2 Arena after seeing the incredible Leonard Cohen
Amazıng evenıng! Two encores, a standıng ovatıon and he skıps off stage. Sublıme musıc from the ıncomparable #leonardcohen and team.
Just seen Leonard Cohen at the O2. God what a perfect gig. AMAZING
Goes with out saying.. Cohen was brilliant!! #LeonardCohen #londono2
Leonard Cohen! SQUEEEEE!
Well #LeonardCohen really is the man! Fantastic concert tonight at the #O2!
Fuck
At the ago of 79 Leonard Cohen gives a 3 hours+ concert. Incredible.
Leonard Cohen was epic #TheMan
There words: Leonard Cohen ... legend.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Hallelujah! Leonard #Cohen on fine form at 02, fantastic band! Poetry had audience spellbound
@#LeonardCohen from afar. But close to our hearts @02
Wow...over 3 hour performance from Leonard #Cohen this evening at O2. Amazing, his voice is food for my spirit & soul. I am now replenished
Leonard Cohen. Extraordinary. That is all.
#leonardcohen just rocked O2 - a performance like no other. Amazing and a privilege to be there.
Just watched Leonard Cohen with Tom. It was the best concert I have ever felt privileged to enjoy. Such a professional & personal performer.
Leonard Cohen at 02 tonight, best gig ever? It's a contender...
Leonard Cohen: sacred, profane, dark, funny, brilliant.
At the age of 55 my mum has finally seen Leonard Cohen. I think my duty as a daughter is done.
What an AMAZING night. Thank you Leonard Cohen x @LeonardOnTour
Wonderful poetry. Wonderful musicianship. I laughed, cheered, cried a little; I had a wonderful time. Hurrah for Leonard Cohen! He's a dude.
Leonard Cohen at the O2, as good as I've ever seen him, top 3 gig of all time. Majestic.
Leonard Cohen was sublime @The_O2 this evening.
Tonight Leonard Cohen seduced all 20 000 of us in London O2 Arena. Magical! Thank you Leonard!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I find it very sad - and frustrating - when a concert report thread is made up of a stack of tweets. I hope that isn't going to be the pattern for the tour (sorry Helen).

Thank you Foxwood and Tommy for your "real" reports. I hope there will be many more.

Wendy

PS It was a great concert. Leonard & co were on good form.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Wonderful gig. Moved this grown man to tears with Sisters of Mercy. First saw Leonard 43 years ago at the IoW and many times since. Not enough superlatives to describe tonight. Roll on September.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I find it very sad - and frustrating - when a concert report thread is made up of a stack of tweets. I hope that isn't going to be the pattern for the tour (sorry Helen).

Thank you Foxwood and Tommy for your "real" reports. I hope there will be many more.

Wendy

PS It was a great concert. Leonard & co were on good form.
Couldn't agree more Wendy. On both counts. Think we get the message with the tweets Helen. Thanks.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Totally agree with you, Wendy.

I'm taking a bit of good natured stick from friends and family for seeing him so often, but I'd happily watch that show every night for the rest of my life! I am convinced that it just doesn't get better. And it seems subtly different to me each time. Roll on the next one (for me, as things stand, September)!

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
TheWrongMan

Post by TheWrongMan »

Just got back from the gig, fantastic night as always.
Sound a bit low in the first half, much better after the interval.
Thanks for posting the tweets Helen, really enjoyed reading them.
Roll on September.
1993:London RAH 2008:London O2 x 2, London RAH, Brighton 2009:Weybridge, Liverpool, Barcelona 2010: Lille 2012:Wembly 2013:London O2
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Okay, maybe I'll try to limit myself to a "best of" as to the tweets. I guess we can just be thankful all those 20,000 people aren't on Twitter.
awaythelads

Post by awaythelads »

Back from the concert - waiting for my dinner at the Hilton. Decent seat thanks to all involved with the pre-sale. (Not as decent as the front row for Birmingham in September!). Lovely to be able to travel via ferry. A few tears - fortunately alone, so my daughter couldn't see. I was taking some decent photos at the end in the "mosh pit" (my 15 year old daughter's phrase) but was told to put my camera away by security. Faultless performance, with a few twists since my last concert (Dublin last year). No somersaults. I have a dilemma and am looking for advice from fellow fans. I need to chose ONE song for my forthcoming wedding in September. Thought I knew what I wanted. Not certain after the performance tonight - I could chose 3, possibly more ....
awaythelads

Post by awaythelads »

Ah yes, must mention Alexandra leaving. Sharon Robinson improves with age. Sexy lady - no question about that. What a voice.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”