OCT 31 MEET-UP IN AUSTIN TEXAS

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
GraceC

Re: OCT 31 MEET-UP IN AUSTIN TEXAS

Post by GraceC »

TWO MORE WEEKS!!! Anyone else getting excited?
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Penny aka Duchess & I will be in Austin and hope to make it to the Meet-Up
Chelle

Post by Chelle »

GraceC wrote:TWO MORE WEEKS!!! Anyone else getting excited?
YES!!! :D

Time always moves so fast... but this weeks is just draggggggin' on, lol.
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

DrHGuy wrote:Penny aka Duchess & I will be in Austin and hope to make it to the Meet-Up
That's great! Hope to meet you guys at Gabriel's.

Anyone else joining us? See details on Page 1, Post 2 of this thread.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Also note this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32979

October 30, 2012 at 7:30pm
KUT's Views & Brews presents:
Leonard Cohen a Life in Art

Leonard Cohen just celebrated his 78th birthday while on a world tour with his new album “Old Ideas” and Oct. 31 and Nov. 01 he and his band will kick off the US portion of this tour right here in Austin, TX. Join Roscoe Beck, Cohen’s collaborator, producer, bassist and local Austinite, along with Sylvie Simmons author of I’m Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen, along with Cohen’s band members to explore the life and art of living legend Leonard Cohen. What does it mean to live your art? How and why does his work continue to impact generations of artists, thinkers, and seekers?

The event is being organised by Austin Radio station KUT and will be held in the Cactus Cafe.

(The Cactus Cafe & Bar is on Guadalupe Street across from the University Co-op and is located in the southwest corner of the Texas Union building. The Texas Union, at the corner of 24th and Guadalupe, is on the University of Texas campus. Entrance to the Cactus is through the main West Mall Lobby.)Views and Brews is free, but there's a suggested donation of $10. Seats are pretty limited so get there early.

For anyone coming to Austin earlier in the week - or if you know anyone who lives there - I'll be doing a couple of my own book-related events in Austin: readings, signings and a couple of Leonard Cohen songs on the uke with a local guest musician or two.

Here they are:

Oct 27, 9pm-9:45pm, I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen, with Sylvie Simmons. Lit Crawl Austin: Shangri-La (1016 E. 6th St.) Part of the Texas Book Festival
Oct 30, 5pm-6.30pm I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen, with Sylvie Simmons. Waterloo Records (600A N. Lamar, Austin, 512-474-2500)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Phil Rose

Post by Phil Rose »

I will be there. Look forward to meeting up with everyone.
I have a spare ticket, if anyone is needing one please message me.
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

We will meet Wednesday, Oct 31, 2012 before the concert at Gabriel's Cafe/Bar in the AT&T Hotel/Conference Center anytime between 3:30 -7 p.m. This will be an informal Meet-Up with Leonard's fans dropping in and out throughout the afternoon. Stay as long or as short as you want. Gabriel's Cafe is about a 15 minute walk to the Bass Concert Hall where Leonard will appear. Both the Bass Concert Hall and the AT&T Hotel and Conference Center are on the University of Texas Austin campus. Please see the links below for more details:

http://www.meetattexas.com/gabriels-cafe.php (Link to Gabriel's Cafe/Bar)

http://www.meetattexas.com/downloads/ga ... e-menu.pdf Link to Gabriel's Menu)

http://goo.gl/maps/Uecw3 (Walking Directions from Gabriel's to Bass Concert Hall)

Concert starts 8 p.m. Will-Call tickets available for pick-up 6:30 p.m.

Anyone else attending the Oct 31, 2012 Austin concert? Please join us!

Regards,
GraceC
p.s. Please continue to monitor thread for updates and corrections and feel free to PM me.
Last edited by GraceC on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Yes... getting very excited now! Mark and I will be at the meetup, as will my Dad and his lady who are over here on a visit from Cyprus. They were not previously Leonard fans, but we played them the "Songs From the Road" DVD the other evening and they were hooked, so I had to find another two tickets!!!

Looking forward to meeting friends old and new.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

Greetings Fellow Friends of Leonard,

I've reconfirmed our pre-concert Meet-Up with the manager of Gabriel's Cafe in the AT&T Hotel & Conference center so all there is to do now is count down the days!

Anyone else attending the concert who wants to join us Oct 31 anytime between 3:30 to 7 p.m., please do. The gathering is NOT a private function; it will be very informal so come on by.

GC
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

One MORE DAY!

I'd like to give the manager of Gabriel's Cafe an approximate number of people attending the Meet-Up on Oct 31. So, if you plan to be there and aren't on the following list, could you let me know. Thanks.

UPDATED OCT. 30
AustinDeadhead
AYergin
Arlene Dick (Bridger15)
Box of Rain
BuiltToLast
Chelle
Cindyty & husband
DrHGuy & Penny (aka Duchess)
GraceC
Joe Way & Anne
Joyezekiel, Mark, William & Barbara
KatLaw
Laura & 3 Friends
Lizzytysh
Leslie (Mutti)
Phil Rose
POZEST & friend
Texasguy
Last edited by GraceC on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Chelle

Post by Chelle »

I will be with my Husband, so you can add him to the list, if you'd like. (BuiltToLast)
KatLaw

Post by KatLaw »

We hope to be there - two of us. Looking forward to meeting up with such nice people.
Kathy and Lawrence
2012: Austin, Denver, Boston
2013: Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

Thanks KatLaw and Chelle.

Looks like about 25 Friends of Leonard will be at the Meet-Up. I understand Leonard and company have been in Austin for the past three days rehearsing. Wonder if the set list will change from the Europe tour.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

You can add my Dad and his lady to the list..... (William and Barbara).

See you THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

Okey dokey. THANKS! Indeed! See you Wednesday!

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”