Spoken Word at the Leonard Cohen Event 2014

The Dublin Event - before and after
Paula McCann

Spoken Word at the Leonard Cohen Event 2014

Post by Paula McCann »

Good morning, friends.

On this bank holiday Monday in Ireland, I thought I'd give you a very brief rundown on the participants of the Spoken Word. I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Dermot Bolger in conversation with Carlo Gebler last Friday night as part of Phizzfest, a community arts festival. You are in for a treat on the afternoon of Friday, 8th August 2014.

Dermot Bolger -- poet, playwright and novelist Dermot is one of Ireland's best known writers. He is the author of eleven novels, nine volumes of poetry and many plays including: The Lament for Arthur Cleary; The Ballymun Trilogy; Walking the Road and The Parting Glass.

John MacKenna -- is a writer and actor. He is the author of fifteen books, eleven plays and a number of radio plays. His new novel Joseph will be published in October 2014. He won a Jacob's Radio Award for his documentary series, How the Heart Approaches What it Yearns, on the life and work of Leonard Cohen.

Leif Bodnarchuk --is a Canadian born writer who lives in Northern Ireland. In 2008 he began working with Leonard Cohen, and continued the journey until the end of 2013. In 2012 he began writing daily entries in an online diary while touring with Leonard. They were collated into a book and entitled No Ideas, a self-effacing homage to Leonard's album Old Ideas.

The Poetry Divas -- Kate Dempsey, Maeve O'Sullivan and Triona Walsh. They are a glittery collective of woven poets. Their infectious shows blur the wobbly boundaries between page and stage.

Gerard Smyth -- poet, critic and journalist. He is poetry editor of The Irish Times and co-editor of If You Ever Go: A Map of Dublin in Poetry and Song, an anthology which has been chosen as Dublin's "One City One Book" for 2014.

Looking forward to seeing you all in Dublin town in August.

Paula
Tony Crosbie

Re: Spoken Word at the Leonard Cohen Event 2014

Post by Tony Crosbie »

Thank you very much indeed for the update, Paula. It all sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to the Event.

Tony
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

GEESH, Paula! What a feast of EXCELLENCE!!! All of you have worked so hard and done so well and creating an Event beyond imagination! I hope that more will rethink their finances and prioritize this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to merge mingling with old friends and making new, seeing in person a wide variety of people HIGH in their careers, and exploring Dublin, as well... and sign up to come along for this great ride!

Do we need to make reservations for that Friday event just described, or is the venue large enough to accommodate us all [at least the all that is numbered at the moment].

Thanks so much!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paula McCann

Post by Paula McCann »

Hi Lizzie,

The Spoken Word is part and parcel of the event, no need for separate bookings.

Paula
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yeah, I knew that, Paula... just hoping that the venue itself will be large enough to accommodate everyone, without anyone having to miss out!
~ Oscar Wilde
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

thanks for the update paula…especially looking forward to seeing john mackenna.. a few of the old faces around here may remember john from way back when he posted as red poppy…

paula i don't know if you remember the conversation you and your mother had earlier this year when you were both discussing john's book 'the space between us' admittedly at the time i was more than preoccupied in quaffing your beautiful christmas pudding but I was intrigued by the different takes you and your mother had on the book…so a few months back I temporarily knocked off from ploughing through the other irisher john connolly's charley parker books and read 'the space between us'….

normally not the kind of book i would have been drawn to but by heck what an emotional journey through guilt and contrition it takes you through… i did find the book quite disturbing at times and can understand how the shock ending divides folk… a beautiful written book i can recommend to anybody and an interesting perspective for those attending the event on one of john's many other talents besides his cohen connection…. ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Paula McCann

Post by Paula McCann »

Yes Ken, I do remember the conversation and it is a book that still leaves me reeling emotionally. This weekend I've been ploughing through the poetry of Dermot Bolger - The Venice Suite and External Affairs. Two very different tomes: The Venice Suite was written in the aftermath of his wife's unexpected death in 2010, the poems garnered from scraps of paper he found lying around the house a year later. He thought he would never be able to write again. Exquisite poetry. Dermot is a lovely man and brilliant writer.

"If You Ever Go to Dublin Town" a map of Dublin through poetry was co-edited by Gerard Smyth. I met him in this parish a couple of weeks ago (he is from the Liberties where my current employment is located). Another lovely gentleman and the book is a knock-out. I bought it at the airport and it now resides in the capital of Canada.

So when I say event participants are in for a treat on the opening day -- I kid ye not. And that's before any of the concerts.

All good things.

Paula
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OMGosh, I have lots of reading to get done in a matter of mere months. Red Poppy's first. I remember him well. Don't know that I'm in the proper space right now for a book that will leave you emotionally reeling, but I can at least get started.

Thanks for the additional information, Ken and Paula. It's the KIND of information that works so well to pique interest... and, hopefully, to additional attendees.
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Did Red Poppy record his play on film?
Any chance a viewing... ;-) ?
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm close to halfway through reading The Space Between Us... emotionally reeling already; reading through tears.
~ Oscar Wilde
margaret

Post by margaret »

I have a few of John's books. Would recommend The River Field, (a collection of stories), and Things you should know, a memoir.

Margaret
Paula McCann

Post by Paula McCann »

Hi Lizzie & Margaret,

I've read The Space between Us -- it left me reeling so I'm looking forward to talking to you about it Lizzie. I can't get the ending out of my head -- I never expected it and it certainly packed a huge emotional punch.

Margaret, I'll read the book of short stories before the event. Thanks for the recommendation.

See ye soon.

Paula :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm totally with you on that, Paula.
That was the first one of his I read.
I got the small one about the town in 1925, and am working my way through it.
Also got the one about Antarctica.
I know I won't be able to get through the If You Ever Go To Dublin collection before the Event.
But I'm reading the Daughter one by Bolger right now.
I'm not a fast reader, but with The Space, I was IMMEDIATELY and totally engaged with the characters, and getting through it was very easy. I even stretched it out at the end [good thing, I realized, once I was done].
Wish I were a fast reader.
Am looking forward to the rest of John's books, but so many were NOT listed on Amazon. I had no idea he was/is so prolific!
Yes, I'm looking forward to talking with you about it, too.
I'm looking forward to BOTH of those that you've mentioned, Margaret... if I'm able to find them. There won't be time before I get there, though :(
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Dublin 2014”