Dublin Calling

The Dublin Event - before and after
Paula McCann

Dublin Calling

Post by Paula McCann »

Good evening, Friends,

It's a beautiful, balmy Spring evening here in Dublin's fair city.

I will be posting an update at Easter: the final line-up for the LC Dublin Event is almost complete and I can say hand on heart that you are all in for an amazing treat with the line-up of musicians, singers, poets and writers; open mic; film; photographic exhibitions etc. all based around one man - Leonard Cohen. To add to that heady mix you will be in one of Europe's most vibrant and lively cities.

"From her humble beginnings as a Viking trading port to a walled medieval city and then, in a glorious century of expansion, to an elegant Georgian metropolis with wide streets, gracious squares and great houses, neatly bordered by two canals (Grand and Royal), Dublin is a city that will capture your heart. Dublin is a truly inspirational city with a literary tradition dating back over a thousand years!

To visit Ireland's capital city is to visit a place rich in history and culture and one which prides itself with a long tradition in music, theatre and literature. To truly experience Dublin is to immerse yourself in its rich, vibrant and absorbing culture!"

For those of you arriving on Thursday there will be a social gathering in the Landsdowne hotel on Pembroke Road in the evening. I've posted about the new book mapping Dublin through poetry "If you ever go to Dublin town" -- the title is from a Patrick Kavanagh poem of the same name. Kavanagh lived around this area; a sculpture of him sitting on a bench is on the Grand canal nearby ("O Commemorate me where there is water, canal water preferably, so stilly greeny at the heart of summer") and Raglan Road is just around the corner from the Landsdowne. So ye may bump into the ghost of Kavanagh as ye walk the streets where he lived. Below is a link to Luke Kelly singing On Raglan Road - Kavanagh's poem of unrequited love set to music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuafmLvoJow

Some of Dublin's attractions.
http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractions-g ... ublin.html

That's all for now friends.

All good things.

Paula
chrissie01

Re: Dublin Calling

Post by chrissie01 »

Thanks you Paula...for all your hard work It is going to be great.A real pity we wont be there until Saturday, but that's life,x
And you want to travel with him
And you want to travel blind
And you think maybe you'll trust him
For he's touched your perfect body with his mind
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

thanks for the update paula...things do seem to be coming together beautifully...i'm really pleased that you have booked a registration and social evening for the thursday evening...as i've posted elsewhere i think this is a wonderful opportunity for a meet and greet session before the event proper gets underway on the friday....as nobody seems to be posting about their plans for the weekend i just hope enough people are arriving in dublin in time to take advantage of what will be a very special and relaxed evening....we all know how hectic things become once the event starts and before you know it it's all over and you haven't spoken to half of the people you wanted to..so thursday evening at least for me is going to be very special...the only problem for me is that i will have to pass o'donoghue's front door to get to the landsdowne but i can always set out an hour or two early...

...after you and the committee going to all the trouble to book the landsdowne for us i was wondering it wouldn't do any harm to know how many people will be able to make it on thursday so why not post up your names here and let's start the ball rolling....count me in...ta ken
Last edited by liverpoolken on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Caren

Post by Caren »

Thank you so much for all you do Paula. And everyone else involved too. Your hard work and commitment is highly appreciated.

We will be there on Thursday evening and are already looking forward to what seems to be a truly inspirational event.

We can't wait to see all of you lovely people again.

Best from Berlin
Caren
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

Sounds great Paula, looking forward to it. Thanks for all your hard work.
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
harald

Post by harald »

See you Thursday evening at the Landsdowne.
Looking forward to.
Yes, and thanks to the ever busy organisation team.
(Regina and me will be in Dublin from Thursday afternoon till Tuesday lunchtime)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Eija and I will be there, too, on Thursday evening. We plan to come from Galway. Looking forward to a great happening in Dublin!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Joe Ken and I Halton Castle_opt.jpg
Joe Ken and I Halton Castle_opt.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 9588 times
In Liverpool this weekend, practising for Dublin!

I arrive Wednesday morning and leave Monday afternoon.
I'm staying at The Ferryman, over the Samuel Becket bridge but not far from the venue.
Thanks for all the hard work organising the event, and see you on Thursday evening at The Landsdowne Hotel.
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
maphoner

Post by maphoner »

Greetings from Slieve Gullion.
Thanks again to Paula and the committee for your sterling work.
My plans are not 100% fixed, but I certainly intend to be there on Thursday.
See you!
Tom.
of course you say you can't complain
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Many thanks to Paula and her organizing colleagues! Looking forward very much to this exciting Event, seeing old friends, and meeting new ones. I'm actually arriving on Wednesday (to sleep off jet lag) and will be at the Landsdowne on Thursday. Now that spring has finally arrived, August doesn't seem that far off!

Diana
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Thank you again for all your hard work, Paula and all involved.
Very excited to meet you all on Thursday evening.
Wish you all a nice holidays!!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
bogra

Post by bogra »

Hai Paula and team! Also thanks for all the hard work you have already done and for what is to come :-)
We already arrive on Tuesday and will happily join the social gathering on Thursday evening!!
Looking so forward to see you all!
Happy Easter :-) Aad & Gery
2008: Amsterdam / 2009: Antwerp / 2010: Strasbourg - Las Vegas / 2012: Gent - Amsterdam - Dublin - Verona - Lisbon / 2013: Brussels - Lucca - Rotterdam - Amsterdam - Perth - Melbourne
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

ladydi wrote:Many thanks to Paula and her organizing colleagues! Looking forward very much to this exciting Event, seeing old friends, and meeting new ones. I'm actually arriving on Wednesday (to sleep off jet lag) and will be at the Landsdowne on Thursday. Now that spring has finally arrived, August doesn't seem that far off!

Diana
I'll be arriving on Wednesday for the same reason, Diana! Maybe if we're not feeling too groggy we could meet up?

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I think a few of us may be there by Weds 6th.

W
leonardthecat

Post by leonardthecat »

We'll be around from the Tuesday - at least 3 of us. So we'll be at the Landsdowne on the Thursday.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Dublin 2014”