Spring Update - Leonard Cohen Event 2014

The Dublin Event - before and after
st theresa1

Re: Spring Update - Leonard Cohen Event 2014

Post by st theresa1 »

How sad--one day I am going to be in the right place at the right time...Am travelling to England, Scotland and Ireland in the fall, followed by a trip to India but still will not be able to make it to Dublin at the right time for this. I will be thinking of you while attending Weddings in Canada this August. Lizzy--one day I swear!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

LOLOL... I knooowwwwwwwwwww, Theresa... gotta make ya wonder, doesn't it?
We may have to arrange a special excursion, yet :D

I'm VERY sorry you won't be there!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Conny

Post by Conny »

...even if it's still cold outside - there are sunny times to come :)
Thank you, Paula, for all the work and for keeping us updated!
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I was quite impressed by the Patricia O'Callaghan sample on YouTube which Albert linked above so I sent for her Matador CD. I really like what I hear. Her style is quite understated for the most part but, unlike some covers, I found most of her versions of well known songs easy to listen to (Suzanne being the big exception for me. There's something about it that I struggle with .....). I am looking forward to seeing her in August.

The notes on the CD which explain her choice of title are worth repeating here:

"The Matador

The Matador was a 24 hour dance tavern on Dovercourt Avenue in Toronto, opened in 1964 and only recently closed. This 'no alcohol' establishment was frequented by those seeking a last dance after the bars had closed. Cohen wrote the song "Closing Time" about it. Cohen himself is also like a matador. He's someone who's willing to go to the edge and stare death in the face. He is a "killer" of lies, illusions and, let's face it, ladies."

There are more details about the CD on the Files (of course!)

Wendy
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hi Paula and all,

Me too, am really looking forward to this, sounds brilliant. And seeing all my old buddies again will be so nice. Thank you, thank you!
I have a question - I have an Irish friend who lives in Dublin, who has asked if it may be possible for her to attend just one day, as she has other commitments around that time. Is that possible? how would she register?
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

Thanks to Paula and all the team for a fantastic line up in August in Dublin. Can't wait to meet all of you. :D
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
basecamp

Spring Update - Leonard Cohen Event 2014

Post by basecamp »

I'm so looking forward to seeing so many friends again! Thanks so much to Paula and the organizing committee for all your hard work to make this event happen!
- Hans [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

If anyone knows of someone who may be holding back from Dublin due to cost of lodging on top of flights, or travel of any kind... this is what I booked, so if it could make the difference for you, please contact me:

My room is in an airbnb home for 8 days, with my checking in on August 5th and checking out on August 13th, so any days within that, there would be room for you. It's a very sweet and clean set-up. A bright room with two twin beds, a private bathroom with a shower, and doors from the bedroom that open up onto the sitting area of the rear garden.

It's costing me $255 USD for the 8 nights, and to add another person is $14/night more, so if we added that for you for the full 8 nights, and then split the cost, it would be another $168 USD ~ so grand total would be $423 for the two of us. Divide that by 2 and it comes to $211/each TOTAL ~ and they provide Breakfast. [If you stayed less than 8 nights, we would adjust it accordingly.] It has a private bath with shower, and double, glass doors that open out onto the backyard, and what appears to be a red tile patio.

There's a bus that takes 15-20 minutes to the City Centre. It's located near the Botanical Gardens. So, any need for a taxi could be split, plus on Friday and Saturday night, there's a Nite bus that runs up to very late. To see and read about it, you can go to airbnb, see 4 photos, and then click on the various buttons to read more about it.

Okay, first you go to airbnb.com and enter Dublin, Ireland. Put in whatever dates you want, as that won't matter. When it takes you to the deeper searching page, set the money scale at 0 to $50 per night, even though it looks like you can't, you CAN move the measure far to the left enough to do that. It's auto-set at 0 to $1,000. You'll be able to see 4 photos and read the other stuff about it by clicking on the various buttons.

Then, you should be able to see the one titled: "Double/Twin Room - Warm & Cosy Home" House - Private room · Ballygall Road East, Glasnevin, Dublin, Ireland.

When I wrote to someone else, whose place I was considering, to let them know I'd found something else, she replied:

"Glasnevin is a lovely area and the Botanical Gardens are beautiful.

Another one I notified responded: "No problem. You'll have a great time here. Don't forget to visit the Gravedigger's Pub (quite local) and the Cobblestone near town for trad music."

Please contact me by PM if you think you might be interested.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Just decided to travel by train and ferry from London - Dublin, and have booked it for Wed 6 August. There is a company that books you all the way through called Raileasy. Hope some of you will be there by Wednesday and that I will be able to find you!

Why am I coming by train/ferry? Because I want to bring my guitar, and I was told by airlines that I had to check it into the hold, which I am not prepared to do - you've probably seen how the loaders chuck luggage around between the hold and the carousel at the airport. But when I said I wanted to bring it on board I was told it's too big for carry on luggage - I'm sure I have done this in the past with no trouble, but airlines have got so tight about charging for hold luggage nowadays that it seems it's no longer possible. The only way I could bring my guitar on board the plane was to pay for an extra seat!! Mysteriously, it wasn't too big if I was prepared to pay for two seats..

So airlines have lost out from me! Cheaper travel this way, and not that much longer - and kinda fun, too.

Looking forward to what sounds like a great programme, and to seeing everyone I know.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Dublin 2014”