Where will our 2014 Event be?

The Dublin Event - before and after
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Where will our 2014 Event be?

Post by jarkko »

Dubrovnik is not realistic. We don't have any volunteers who would organize it, or do we?
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jarkko wrote:Dubrovnik is not realistic. We don't have any volunteers who would organize it, or do we?
Wouldn't accommodation be a problem in any case? The event would likely take place at the the height of the tourist season. (Zagreb on the other hand would probably be deserted as everyone will have left for the coast by late July / early August ....)

W
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for that correction, Laura ;-) .

Yes... volunteer coordinators... no matter where... won't happen without them!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

OH right, I can see you what you are all saying. I just had some romantic notion in my head that it would be beautiful there and thought a lot of fans were from Croatia. I was not thinking of the distance from Zagreb etc. I have never been to Croatia. Ok rule that one out :) and rule Ireland out too please

Maybe Barcelona then sounds a great idea.

Anyways I was just trying to get the thread going to see what ideas come up
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

rule Ireland out too please
Why? We have so many active and capable members in Ireland
- and some of you emailed me last year that there already is '
a group that would be willing to do the Event.
Please step forward! ;-)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

OH Really? I thought with the Walking Tour already booked for 2013 that Ireland would not be a contender. I would prefer go somewhere warm to be honest. For the last few years, we have had constant rain in August and I live here so I can tell you it is expensive. But anyways, I am not an organsing type so step right up whoever wants to host the Event. Once it is in Europe I know I can go :)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It seems to me from what I have heard of previous events that there are two key factors to bear in mind:

1. It needs someone who is willing to lead the organisation and booking of the event with plenty of support to back them up; and

2. The event must be in attractive location which people want to visit.

There have been lots of suggestions for attractive locations so far but a deathly silence when it comes to volunteers willing to organise the event. I doubt if that is down to lack of interest per se but maybe people are daunted by the amount of work involved.

I live close to the city of Birmingham in the Warwickshire countryside. I would feel quite confident about being able to organise an event provided I had well motivated support but I don't suppose Birmingham is the number one city on people's list of places they'd like to visit.

All this makes me wonder: is it absolutely essential to have local volunteers to put the event together - or could something be organised remotely by an international team of volunteers? After all, this is how the vast majority of corporate conferences are organised. There would probably be a need for some local support but the demands placed on local members would be somewhat less than if they were being asked to organise the whole thing. Given the lack of volunteers so far, maybe this is the time to rethink how the event is put together and to maybe consider "remote" options with a team of volunteers based in a variety of countries? I would have thought we have time at the moment to put together a shortlist of possible locations and investigate the feasibility, options, costings etc. - including the feasibility of planning and booking the whole thing out of country.

The issue is also probably complicated by the thought that Leonard might just be touring somewhere around the same time, as he was in 2008, 2010 and 2012. I know there was no direct clash of dates in 2008 and 2012 but the point is that people only have limited resources of time and money and many will chose to commit to attending shows and meeting other fans there rather than attending an event. I think this is what happened in 2012 and why Madison numbers were relatively low.

As an aside, I would echo what tinderella says about Ireland. I think a lot of people have romantic notions about Dublin & Ireland but it is fiendishly expensive and it is more likely to rain than not. I too would rather go somewhere where the sun is more likely to shine! Also, where are the volunteers, the people willing and able to organise something? Despite the euphoria that followed the Sligo shows in July 2010, when so many people were saying, if not insisting, that the next event should be held in Ireland, no one has come forward offering to stage the event.

I would be interested to hear thoughts and comments from those who have been involved in organising past events.

Wendy
Laura

Post by Laura »

Mabeanie1 wrote: As an aside, I would echo what tinderella says about Ireland. I think a lot of people have romantic notions about Dublin & Ireland but it is fiendishly expensive and it is more likely to rain than not.

Wendy

Omg! You mean more expensive than the UK?! :-( :-(
Janie

Post by Janie »

Just to clarify matters, after the wonderful Event in Madison this summer (and inspired by the work done by Joe Way and his family) I contacted Jarkko and offered to host the 2014 Forum Event in Belfast and my offer still stands.

However, I appreciate the general consensus so far seems to be that Ireland. North or South, is not a preferred venue.

I have organised a number of conferences and similar events in my former professional life and have indeed organised events (albeit on a smaller scale) remotely, as Wendy has suggested. I agree it is possible to do this but personally, for an event of this size and complexity, I would want to be on ground, checking out venues, meeting people involved in delivering services etc.

I hope we can soon find a suitable venue and I look forward to the 2014 Event, wherever it may be held, as I am sure it will be as good in its own way as all the previous events.

Best wishes

Jane
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Janie wrote:Just to clarify matters, after the wonderful Event in Madison this summer (and inspired by the work done by Joe Way and his family) I contacted Jarkko and offered to host the 2014 Forum Event in Belfast and my offer still stands.
Sorry Jane. I didn't mean to ignore your offer (the only one repeated publicly on the Forum - so far) in my comments.

W
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am happy to go anywhere in Europe although Birmingham is not high on my list of wanna see places Wendy :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

is it absolutely essential to have local volunteers to put the event together - or could something be organised remotely by an international team of volunteers?
Wendy, thank you for a great analysis of the most important issues!

Past experience shows that at least the boss of the organizing committee has to live in the city where the Event is going to take place (or so near it that he/she can easily visit the city to check possible venues, hotels, sightseeing spots and so on).

I organized the Hydra Event in 2002 from Finland, and it was pretty complicated (at that time we didn't know the island well, and didn't have all those active members in Greece we now are so pleased to have!). Without Kelsey Edwards and her company Saronicnet it had been totally impossible. She lived on the island at that time and took care of most of the routines.

However, if the boss of the organizers is a local, the other members don't need to be! Most of our past Events have been partly organized by members located all around the world. Joe and Anne Way organized the Madison Event, but certain things were done by others: Bobbie and Mark made the booklet, Kadir and Ania designed the logos and the poster, Avi programmed the booking system, Pawel and I kept the list of participants updated on the websites, several other members suggested and discussed performers, and so on.

Organizers of the recent Events are also willing to help with information and suggestions regarding the routines, budgeting, putting up the schedule, and so on. Joe and Henning have said they'd be available as advisers, and I'd like to help, too. And we have also capable organizers of other happenings in several countries, even a local club in Hungary...

Belfast has already been suggested. Do we get more candidates? -- You may also first email me privately with your ideas/questions.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's what I thought, too, Jarkko... [the implicit takeaway is that Wendy you really ought to get involved with it]!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mordy

Post by Mordy »

I don't think Birmingham should be lightly dismissed - after all, an important and attractive place in our literary heritage is not a million miles away - Stratford-upon-Avon. Can't guarantee the weather of course, but a visit to the theatre to see a performance by the Royal Shakespeare Company would be a wonderful part of the event. Go for it, Wendy!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Mordy wrote:I don't think Birmingham should be lightly dismissed!
Sorry Mordy but I don't want to go to Birmingham for the event! However, in response to Lizzy's post, I am more than happy to play my part in organizing it somewhere else.

Wendy

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Dublin 2014”