1988 Austin City Limits on PBS

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
DesirousC

1988 Austin City Limits on PBS

Post by DesirousC » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:39 pm

Accidently ran across this 1988 Austin City Limits performance last night on PBS while sitting around sipping wine with a friend and was captivated by the intense lyrical performance. Listening to L.C. deliver his intimate work, the performance was timeless. I come here a Cohen virgin...hungry to delve into the work of this amazing artist that I cannot believe I have overlooked all these years.
Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:09 am

Hi DesirousC
There is so much for you here. Start making up for those lost years.
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure any questions you have will be expertly answered.
Now, which cd do you now go out and buy??? :) and which book do you search for?? :)

Regards
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:12 am

Welcome, DesirousC [as in DesirousCohen?] ~ how beautiful your entry to Leonard's world, as well as to here. Well delivered. Divine providence. As a newcomer to Cohen, you may also want to join the FAQ section with a few of your own.....from the mouths of babes.

~ Elizabeth/Lizzytysh [from Lower Peninsula, Michigan]
DesirousC

Post by DesirousC » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:01 am

Thank you Pete and Lizzy for your welcomes.

Have already been browsing Ebay to see what is out there. I am thinking that a good place for me to start my CD collection would be the Essential but if you have any other suggestions, I would welcome them.

~C
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:50 am

Hi DesirousC, and welcome to the club.

Any album ever recorded by Leonard would be a good start for your collection, but the Essential will provide you with a first overview of how his musical poetry, or poetic music, evolved over the decades. The gaps will be certainly filled in soon.

Tom
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:26 pm

Shwmae DC

Welcome to the board, may your stay be a long and happy one

JTS
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:41 am

Get ready for a new influx of people here after tonite's programming. Welcome one and all, as you find your way to this Forum, however long it may take. I know you'll soon be on your way :D .
mdidier

Post by mdidier » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:09 am

Like picking lotto numbers, my remote scanned the cyber windows to land me in the middle of Everybody Knows... dwelling for mere seconds, my senses were captivated by this gravelly, compelling voice, stopping my up-channel command, landing instead on the 'record' button... (at least I got 40 minutes of it)
How could I have lived 6 decades and had never heard of this amazing talent. This lucky break from televised war drove me to the internet for immediate gratification, and found it in the form of this forum and the site run by a bunch of dedicated people, especially Jarkko. Congratulations to all the members for providing such a wealth of info. I'll be doing a lot of reading and listening and building up a library.... and asking a few questions along the way.

Marcel (Chicago)
(ex-Detroiter)
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller » Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:38 am

Marcel,

welcome to this Forum. I hope you will feel comfortable with this lousy bunch of Beautiful Losers (of which I am one of the lousiest, though not of the most beautiful ones...).

Feel at home.

Tom
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:42 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Marcel ~

A fellow Chicagoan of yours just left and I hope will return. I'm originally from Flint, so I know you can relate to that :wink: ! You're the second take-a-breaker, who recently found their way here as a result. I can imagine your amazement that this much time should have passed sans Leonard Cohen. I [very fortunately] have had him in my life a very long while. Welcome.

~ Lizzytysh
mdidier

Post by mdidier » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:45 am

Lizzy and Tom.... thanks so much for making me feel at home among the beasts of beauty.
:D 'Essential LC' riding through the smoky night to enlighten this poor soul 8)
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:48 pm

Marcel, Shwmae

Glad you've found your way here. May your stay be long and happy.

JTS (Just beware of the natives - some of them bite [and can result in a loss of sleep])
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:03 am

Sounds like a cross bewteen the balad of the absent mare and the bunch of lonesome and quarrallsome heroes (my spelling is crap)
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:13 pm

Dear Marcel and DesirousC,
Let me echo the sentiments of other forum members and welcome you on board.
Hearing Leonard Cohen for the first time is truly a seminal experience: there is so much to be gained, so much to sustain and delight. Enjoy !!
Sincerely, Andrew.
mdidier

Essential LC

Post by mdidier » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:29 am

Essential Leonard Cohen has been playing virtually incessantly for the last week or so. While at first I did not "like" the 1960s recordings, I gradually warmed up to the sound of both the voice and the recording qualities.... since my point of reference was the Austin City Limits broadcast.
Much time has been devoted to read commentaries in theses forums and the LCfiles website; I got a lot of catching up to do, finding myself needing and wanting more info, even doing things I would not normally do, such as possibly watching Born Killer just for the sound track....
I can see why LC might turn into a passion for many Beautiful Losers; hell, Dr. Phil would probably NOT recommend LC prose or poetry as a source of inspiration for lost souls trying to find their place in the rat race.
:idea:

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”