Cohen: "You can't possibly know what song this is"?

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
ludvigost

Cohen: "You can't possibly know what song this is"?

Post by ludvigost »

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

In a live recording, Cohen starts intro, crowd cheers wildly. Then Cohen stops playing, laughs and says something along the lines of "You can't possibly know what song this is", and/or "They all start like this".

It's one of my favorite Cohen moments and I would love to find it again.
B4real

Re: Cohen: "You can't possibly know what song this is"?

Post by B4real »

ludvigost wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 pm Does this sound familiar to anyone?
It sure does :) Welcome to the forum! Just ask and you shall receive! I meant to tell you this sooner but I got side-tracked. If you have the DVD Bird On A Wire Tour 1972 Tony Palmer 2010 version as I have it’s at 45:55 mins. If you don’t yet have the DVD the same segment is featured in both linked videos below. The first visual one it is at 47:10 mins and the second audio one at 36:20 mins between The Stranger Song and One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong.

LC says: “Now listen, you couldn’t possibly know what song that is. I start all my songs that way. That’s the only chord I know”. An audience member responds with "They're all wonderful songs!" Some talk from Leonard and then he breaks out into an impromptu song I’ve titled "The Festival Of Freedom" or “I’m Trying To Break Free.” ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtAhTqVknx8
Bird On A Wire Tour 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFNVCyaSks
Frankfurt 6th April 1972

Enjoy!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”