PLEASE COME OVER TO CAMBRIDGE...UK

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Pete

Re: PLEASE COME OVER TO CAMBRIDGE...UK

Post by Pete »

Wow!!!
Excellent photos.
nearly as good as some of yours Diane :)
Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Diane

Post by Diane »

Nearly as good Pete, he just needs a bit more practice. If you were making soup in a pub kitchen in Cambridge in 1973, I'm guessing that you did mathematics at Kings College? And you never did write me out those equations.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Diane wrote:Nearly as good Pete, he just needs a bit more practice. If you were making soup in a pub kitchen in Cambridge in 1973, I'm guessing that you did mathematics at Kings College? And you never did write me out those equations.
You guess wrong :)
I didn't go to college in Cambridge - I was sent to Coventry instead :)
I was 'courting' in Cambridge ..wow! can we still say 'courting'?

One day I will write you a pair of simultaneous equations, but not at the same time.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Diane

Post by Diane »

You were caught cheating with your croutons as a cook courting in Cambridge concurrently with creating choas at college in Coventry? Crickey.

If I bring a piece of paper and a pencil with me to the Barbican can you also do g(z) = z2 + c, please?
One of the most beautiful images from maths in modern times is the Mandelbrot set...The Mandelbrot set is actually just a group of numbers which all have the same property. What makes this set of numbers so interesting is that they can be displayed visually as a set of co-ordinates on a plane. When they are shown as a picture the result is a very beautiful pattern.
The pattern of the Mandelbrot set is a fractal. A fractal is created when a simple pattern is repeated again and again onto itself at greater and greater detail. Fractals have endless levels of details which go on until infinity: you can zoom in on them forever and never reach their end.

The calculation used to make the Mandelbrot set involves complex numbers but can be written as g(z) = z2 + c

Different numbers behave in different ways when the same complex calculation is done on them repeatedly. Some get larger and eventually go off to infinity; some get smaller and eventually would reach zero. The Mandelbrot set is just the set of numbers that tend to go to zero.

In the classic image of the Mandelbrot set all the numbers which go to zero are shown as black points. The edge shape that we see is actually the boundary between numbers that go to zero and numbers that go off to infinity. The colours that are seen in some images of the Mandelbrot set show how quickly numbers which are outside the set go towards infinity.

One of the most exciting things about fractals like the Mandelbrot set is that the patterns that are formed are very like patterns that can be found in nature. The leaves of a fern and the shape of a snowflake are both fractal patterns. This suggests that simple maths is behind many of the complex patterns we see all around us in the natural world. It is even possible to mimic the shape of mountains by using fractal maths.
Fascinating as hell.

Here is a Mandelbrot the size of the known universe. Watch it full screen and after a glass of whiskey, for best effect:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWrMlIKRBk
Pete

Post by Pete »

Diane wrote:You were caught cheating with your croutons as a cook courting in Cambridge concurrently with creating choas at college in Coventry? Crickey.

If I bring a piece of paper and a pencil with me to the Barbican can you also do g(z) = z2 + c, please?

Here is a Mandelbrot the size of the known universe. Watch it full screen and after a glass of whiskey, for best effect:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWrMlIKRBk
1. you were doing well up until the choas :lol:
2. paper and pencil? we'll do it mentally :D
3. you see...mathematics is beautiful. Fractals rule - OK!

Pete
Diane

Post by Diane »

1. You need choas in your spelling to give birth to a dancing word said Nietzsche.

3. Yes, maths is beautiful. That the rules of mathematics created beings (us) that can comprehend those very rules, but perceive them not as formulae, but as beauty, is, in itself, beautiful. Oh I need to get down the beach and check out some logarithmic spirals.

2. If you teach me to do it mentally, I think we'll skip the Glass concert and stay in the bar :D .
oldjohn

Post by oldjohn »

Pete wrote:In 1973 I had a summer job in Cambridge at the Blue Boar Hotel, which I believe is not there any more.

I worked in the kitchens and once the chef let me make 'Chef''s homemade soup'.
It was very difficult as the packets were sometimes awkward to open :D

Pete
I remember it well .......... was it kidney + oxtail = homemade game soup?
Pete

Post by Pete »

oldjohn wrote:
Pete wrote:In 1973 I had a summer job in Cambridge at the Blue Boar Hotel, which I believe is not there any more.

Pete
By Jove..if my memory serves me correct I think you are right!
How would you know that???

Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

Diane wrote:1. You need choas in your spelling to give birth to a dancing word said Nietzsche.

3. Yes, maths is beautiful. That the rules of mathematics created beings (us) that can comprehend those very rules, but perceive them not as formulae, but as beauty, is, in itself, beautiful. Oh I need to get down the beach and check out some logarithmic spirals.

2. If you teach me to do it mentally, I think we'll skip the Glass concert and stay in the bar :D .
2. Doing mental maths (mm) outweighs the Glass concert (Gc)? Or is it the bar (b) that outweighs the concert? Or is it both?
mm<Gc and b<Gc but mm+b> Gc where mm is equivalent to g(z)=z2+c and b=8pts and Gc=LC

3. logarithmic spirals on the beach? Stop dipping into my fantasies!!

1. this always comes after 3 in a choatic world.
Joney

Post by Joney »

Sorry but this is too good an opportunity to resist. I just have to lower the tone. Apologies in advance.

What did the constipated mathematician do?
He worked it out with a pencil and paper.
Davido

Post by Davido »

But if it's very hard he may have to use logs.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
oldjohn

Post by oldjohn »

Pete wrote:
oldjohn wrote:

Pete
By Jove..if my memory serves me correct I think you are right!
How would you know that???

Pete
Worked there myself - in a suit. Don't count the years! Took stock of those soup packets many times - Erin I think.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Chef's homemade poachers game soup 20p
Chicken Broth and cheese straws 25p
Roast of the day carved at your table with seasonal vegetables £1.35
etc etc
For a majority of the time I was washing the pans etc but I was trusted with the toast for the breakfasts sometimes.

I remember playing cricket in the kitchen with stale bread rolls :lol:

I remember the Head Chef and the 2nd Chef but names escape me.
Who was Erin?

Happy days

Pete
Diane

Post by Diane »

How intriguing. Are you a Cohen fan, as well as a yet-to-be-revealed acquaintance from Pete's past, oldjohn? Logarithmic spirals on the beach is a cocktail, I believe. Did they serve it at the Blue Boar? Joney and Davido, please go sit at the back of the class, for lowering the tone (actually, pencil jokes remind me of when Baldrick stuck a pencil in each nostril and said he was going to a fancy dress as a pencil case). I will have to calculate a way to raise it again. After mm and 8pts, I'd probably be able to eloquently explain how Carl Jung's theory of Synchronicity ties in with Chaos Theory.
oldjohn

Post by oldjohn »

Pete wrote:Chef's homemade poachers game soup 20p
Chicken Broth and cheese straws 25p
Roast of the day carved at your table with seasonal vegetables £1.35
etc etc
For a majority of the time I was washing the pans etc but I was trusted with the toast for the breakfasts sometimes.

I remember playing cricket in the kitchen with stale bread rolls :lol:

I remember the Head Chef and the 2nd Chef but names escape me.
Who was Erin?

Happy days

Pete
You must have a menu tucked away - they were imitation parchment and rolled up.
The chef's name was Perks I think. One of the porters was related to Gary Glitter . . . when that was ok! and Erin was the make of soup. And the fudge was deadly.
And cricket in the kitchen probably fitted right in with the hint of decadence which infected the place for a while. Logarithmic spirals on the beach didn't feature, Diane, but Adnams did. I remember drinking an awful lot of Asti Spumante ... endlessly ... just because it was there.
And just to keep it decent, yes, I am a Leonard Cohen fan, though I think I actually put "Blue Boar" +cambridge into google to see what would happen and up came this happy event. :D And met my wife of several decades who was working there.
John

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”