Leonard's Segues, Interludes, and Thank You's

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
lizzytysh

Leonard's Segues, Interludes, and Thank You's

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:15 pm

[I'm still trying to track down some Al Stewart Live[!] recordings ~ bootleg or whatever, I don't care. What he speaks between the songs is as substantial and integral to his performance as what he sings.]

Now, regarding Leonard: I remember seeing where Leonard said he was surprized that people wanted those in-between spaces included in recordings, that he didn't really think they would be interested.

It seems that some performers don't realize how important to audiences their one-on-audience communications really are, and how revealing they can be, lending insight to the person behind the performer, as well as to the song they've just or are about to sing. Those are the recordings I look for, not studio versions, and not studio-edited versions, removing the words they have to say in their performances.

When I heard this [it didn't get edited out because, fortunately, it came in the midst of his final song at Reykjavik, Iceland on June 24, 1988. As the third verse of Whither Thou Goest was being sung softly in the background by his group members, Leonard spoke slowly and with warm deliberation when he said [laid out here to denote his pauses]:

"It has been
a great privilege
for all of us
to be able to sing
before the heroic
songs and daughters of Iceland. We will never forget this evening.
Thank you.
Thank you so much."

His last sentence was spoken with even greater warmth. The respect and gratitude that his words conveyed to his audience, for their presence and appreciation of him, was meltingly beautiful. When I heard "before the heroic sons and daughters of Iceland," I felt like I was hearing words of epic proportion. It's indescribable how this thank you affects me, but it personifies the Leonard Cohen who loves and respects his audiences as much as we do him, and embodies it all.

I've tried twice to re-record this cd for several friends [one whose name begins with A/J :wink: ], but I keep getting an 'Error in the original' message. I'm afraid that not everyone may end up with every performance Leonard has ever done, but as I listen to his Live performances, I would like to have them all, due to the variations in his songs and the spoken portions.

For now, I wanted to share this particularly touching one, and would love to hear [though it may take some time to listen and transcribe them] others that other people here are particularly drawn to....the bits of information he offers regarding the writing of a particular song; the kind of day he's had; or whatever. A verbatim rendering is preferred.

I feel that anyone who's heard the one I'm speaking of, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

~ Elizabeth
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:01 pm

Ciao Everyone!

I have one! But it is not an interlude or seque. It is an instruction. Those are the ones I listen for! Where Leonard tells the band something to do.

It is In Montreaux 1976. Leonard is singing One of us Cannot be Wrong.
Right after he sings "drool" he says to the beautiful angel singers who are singing too loud:

"Take it
easy
folks"

This is what I like to hear. Also, when he tells the band what song is next.

Vesuvius
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:03 pm

When I in 1993 heard Leonard live in the town of Holstebro in Denmark it was the first, last and only time I heard him in concert. I remember me having the flu with high fever and all. I live in Århus and me and my friends arrived to Holstebro by train after two hours of travelling. It was summer and a very relaxed sense of happiness filled the streets of Holstebro which is a small town. I remember Leonard starting the concert with the following line:
"Velkommen og tok fordi i kom("hello and thanks for comming" in danish) As I walked the streets of your city, it seemed to me that you havent heard the Bad news, I pray to God that you never will"

Needless to say that the next morning my fever was gone, and nothing ever would be the same again

Peter
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:29 pm

Does anyone have Live @ the beeb? What does LC say before "There's no reason why you should remember me"

Peter, that was a most beautiful way to start a show.
ep
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:00 pm

Ciao, Vesuvius. 'Instruction' is good ~ so much comes through in his spoken words. That was a gently humourous one that captures his desire for subtlety.

Peter ~ I also love his Holstebro greeting to the audience ~ what a lovely way of delivering a high compliment on the peacefulness of a town and its people.
margaret

Post by margaret » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:32 pm

Ep, I have Live at the Beeb. I'll have a listen later and try and write down his introduction.

Another one I found very amusing was in 1993 at The Warfield, San Francisco. Before singing First we take Manhattan he did a very long introduction thanking everyone for all the strange, obscure and silly items that they sent him and what they meant to him.
margaret

Post by margaret » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:40 am

Here is the introduction to "There's no reason why you should remember me" from live at The Beeb (BBC about 1968)

Now I'm going to give you a second chance. Ha Ha! This is the formula in which you can articulate the very worst kind of anxieties, fears, short circuits between all possible relationships and by singing it, with me, you will resolve all those things, and everything will be straight, you will be straighter than you have ever been. You can really look at the person next to you and things will be so good. Really!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:12 am

Give me that song ~ now :wink: !
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:34 am

Margaret- Oh thank you so kindly. I know this is silly but I had written that it a pocket notebook I used for travel writing and the book has gone missing. It was strange really...As soon as I wrote on the last page the book disappeared. But losing those words (as I do not own BBC) was for me the only loss.
You are a hero Margaret. :D

Liz- The song only has one line, not counting the intro, but yet is one of my favorite LC songs. The line is:
"No\Oh it wasn't any good, there's no reason why you should, remember me..." - sung as a beautiful chorus. :D
ep
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:49 pm

another good one is his introduction to "first we take.." in the Falkoner Theater in 1993:

"I thank you for the Items that you send me. Those roses that you send to my hotel this morning, they were the redest roses....with the largest thorns that I ever did see. And I thank whoever the kind person was for signing your name in such a maner that I could not read it. I deeply appreciate your sense of modesty"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:53 pm

I've never been able to fathom some people saying Leonard has no sense of humour :lol: . Perhaps, the dryness of his wit simply passes over them :wink: .
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:14 pm

Yeah your right lizz. I remember when Leonard was the star of the danish televison show called "the talk show". The host Jarl had supplied leonard with all the nessecary ingredients for making a red needle and asked leonard to show us how to make one. As he was making the drink, he look up at the audience and said, "gee I was I could make one for each and everyone of you" and the as the drink was finished he smiled and said :"oh a drink at last". And by the way, the bottle of mexican teqqila, was almost emptied by the end of the show, and Leonard asked if he could come back next week.

Peter
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:17 pm

:lol: Quite a difference between Danish and American TV.
Kush

Post by Kush » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:52 am

Quite a difference between Danish and American TV.
Not really....LC was the star of NBC's The Tonite Show Jay leno when The Future came out. I remember seeing it 92 i think and vaguely remember Leno telling something like "All your songs are so long....."

But I forgot you don't watch any corporate owned NBC stuff or anything like that....decadent capitalist stuff...
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:04 am

Not me, I watch Conan O'Brien every chance that I get... :)
ep

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”