Leonard Cohen on NBC's The Today Show

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
YankovicGretzky

Leonard Cohen on NBC's The Today Show

Postby YankovicGretzky » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:11 am

Do any of you watch NBC's The Today Show with Katie Couric and Matt Lauer? Live from Studio 1A in Rockafeller Plaza, New York! They have a Summer Concert Series. Every Friday famous singers get invited to perform on stage outside the studio and fans gather around on the street to watch. Have any of you ever watched the Summer Concert series? I want Leonard Cohen to perform on The Today Show.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:03 am

Hi Yankovic ~

Affirmative ~ past tense ~ on all of your questions. I'm a TV non-watcher these days. What an interesting thought you have. It would blast him into the homes of millions. The show so many years ago that got the greatest response was the one with him. I want to say it was CBS Sunday Morning, but I'd have to check my facts to be certain on that.

~ Elizabeth
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:51 am

That was Austin City Limits (1988 and 1993), Lizzytysh.
Linda

Postby Linda » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:12 pm

I got excited there for just a second, Leonard Cohen On the NBC Today show wow
If it were not for Austin City Limits I may not have discovered Leonard Cohen, and those are two great shows, I love them.

But there also was a bit on CBS Sunday Morning. If my memory serves me right was called Rock on. It was shortly before or after Ten New Songs came out. It was rather neat, I watched it and I believe I have it on tape somewhere.
Linda
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:36 am

Thanks, Jarkko :D ~

I wasn't aware of the Austin City Limits' overwhelming response to Leonard. It's still different from what I was referring to, which I [yay me :lol: :wink: ] managed to find!

It's in William Kloman's article on Leonard, reprinted by permission from 1968 by The New York Times Company. It's in the songbook, "Songs of Leonard Cohen / Herewith: Music, Words and Photographs." "...last September..." sounds as though it's referring to the program's having broadcasted in 1967 ~ but certainly 1968 at the latest. I knew it preceded Austin City Limits, and wasn't of concert nature. I'll copy it here, as it really lends support to the idea of Leonard's being on The Today Show. I see where I got the CBS Sunday Morning aspect.
Last September, Cohen was featured on "Camera Three," a CBS Sunday morning cultural affairs program. He sang a few songs, read some poems, and was pictured peering sensitively into several tawdry Broadway store windows. The impression he made was strong enough to elicit the greatest audience response in the show's fourteen-year history.

One viewer berated the network for "letting this cancer loose" on the Sabbath, but most of those who wrote wanted to know more about Cohen. Who was this ambiguous and tortured poet who prowled the urban slag dump proclaiming "God is alive. Magic is afoot"?
So, that's two programs where he's broken records. Wouldn't it be wonderful to make it three?

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”