Leonard Cohen, live in Tel-Aviv - So long, Marianne

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
WiTS

Re: Leonard Cohen, live in Tel-Aviv - So long, Marianne

Post by WiTS »

found this on http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1695735/5719870/
Below the contribution of my chaver dirtyjohn who is currently recovering from a pretty tough (medical)operation in Israel and looking forward to his from G’d given 61st birthday on nov 23rd :

“As it happened, I was at that concert.

The story is like this. It took place in April 1972, at the Yad Eliyahu sports arena, where Maccabi Tel Aviv basketball team plays.
The concert started like any other, but at some point, the audience tried to get to close to the stage, and some pushing took place between LC's security guards (actually, not HIS, but the theater's.) Arguments ensued, because LC wanted the people closer, but the guards refused. In the end, he led the audience to a chorus of the American union organizing song 'We Shall Not Be Moved' and left the stage, promising NEVER to return to Israel to perform again.
That was in 1972.

A year later, and the Yom Kippur War broke out, in October 1973. And on the first foreign plane to land at Ben Gurion Airport was... Leonard Cohen, begging to be allowed to work as a volunteer in a factory or kibbutz. He was, instead, sent to entertain troops, of course.

It was then that he wrote his songs (recorded on 'New Skins') called 'Lover, Lover, Lover' which began 'I asked my father, I said father change my name. The one I’m using now is covered up in fear and filth and cowardice and shame...' and ended 'And may the spirit of this song, may it rise up brave and free. May it be a shield for you, a shield against the enemy...'

Just thought you'd like to know something from behind the concert... “

Enjoy,
HowlinHusky
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”