The Best Leonard Cohen Concert of all time.

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
FOXWOOD

The Best Leonard Cohen Concert of all time.

Post by FOXWOOD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:16 pm

I have only seen Leonard Cohen twice in concert .The first time was in the 80s at the Royal Albert Hall and it was a great concert. The second was at the Manchester Opera house on June 18th 2008 ,this was ( for the sake of getting some discussion going here)the perfect concert. The venue was just the right size. The audience was fantastic. The concert was - well perfect (the reviews on this site say it far better than I can ).Plus we got to hear famous blue raincoat as an extra bonus.
Therefore your Honour I rest my case,
Manchester Opera House on June 18th was the best Leonard Cohen concert of all time.
.... or was it?
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
Yorkshire Lad

Re: The Best Leonard Cohen Concert of all time.

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 pm

I hate to disagree but the first attempt at anything is always the best so it is fair to say the 17th at Manchester was the best . I have to say that because I was there . But you are so right about the venue and atmosphere ! . But nevermind it sounds like you got a pretty good encore the day after the best concert ever .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 am

Having had the benefit of being at both, I have to agree with the two of you :)

But I'm sure that everyone who attended another tour concert would beg to differ.
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:57 am

UrPal
Having been at both concerts the world is waiting for you to pass judgement!
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:17 pm

OK.............The Friday! ;-)

...but Monday and Tuesday will always be particularly special too. :D

The atmosphere on the Monday coming from the audience and stage seemed most electric, it being the "UK premier" and my personal, for want of a better phrase, ahem, loss of Lenny virginity. I enjoyed the frisson of expectant nervous tension in the air and the unpredictability of it. The adrenalin levels were buzzing through the whole place. And things like Lenny saying "we're gonna take a break now for fifteen minutes....or maybe seventeen" (why seventeen?!!!!)(or whatever it was) that flowed from that made for quite an event.

....but Tuesday was my only time at ground level in good seats and so I felt more "amongst it" and deeply involved. The performance was more assured, if maybe not so "edge of the seatish". And the show stopping Famous Blue Raincoat seemed to put a personal "seal of approval" from Lenny on things to cap the night off.

Does that help you any?
gazatthebop

Post by gazatthebop » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:06 pm

THERE IS AN AUDIENCE RECORDING OF THE FIRST MANCHESTER CONCERT IF ANYONE WANTS THE LINK?
margaret

Post by margaret » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:31 pm

UrPal wrote:OK.............The Friday! ;-)

...but Monday and Tuesday will always be particularly special too. :D

The atmosphere on the Monday coming from the audience and stage seemed most electric, it being the "UK premier" and my personal, for want of a better phrase, ahem, loss of Lenny virginity. I enjoyed the frisson of expectant nervous tension in the air and the unpredictability of it. The adrenalin levels were buzzing through the whole place. And things like Lenny saying "we're gonna take a break now for fifteen minutes....or maybe seventeen" (why seventeen?!!!!)(or whatever it was) that flowed from that made for quite an event.

....but Tuesday was my only time at ground level in good seats and so I felt more "amongst it" and deeply involved. The performance was more assured, if maybe not so "edge of the seatish". And the show stopping Famous Blue Raincoat seemed to put a personal "seal of approval" from Lenny on things to cap the night off.

Does that help you any?
I thought the Manchester shows were Tuesday to Friday :shock: Did I miss a Monday date?
I was there on Wednesday when Blue Raincoat was sung.

margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:57 am

Thanks Margaret. Counting days backwards from Friday was never a strong point! Being born on a Monday I hate to exclude it from a working week.

The Monday gig of my imagination was, of course, the best.
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:27 am

Whatever the date, the Manchester Opera House concerts have been unchallenged so far as being the best Leonard cohen concerts of all time.
There are audience recordings available now so more people have had the opportunity to listen to these concerts along with others on the tour.
Will Manchester Opera House continue to hold the number one spot ? How does it compare with very early concerts that I was not lucky enough to see?
Will I be allowed to continue writing such rubbish without someone, who has been to far more concerts than me, putting me straight on one or two matters?
Watch this space!
Last edited by FOXWOOD on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darling

Post by Darling » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:20 am

UrPal wrote:Having had the benefit of being at both, I have to agree with the two of you :)

But I'm sure that everyone who attended another tour concert would beg to differ.
Yes, I think that everyone thinks that 'theirs' was the best, it's impossible to imagine that anything can be greater than what we've experienced, no matter how many songs he sang, if one got this one and the other one not, outside, inside, in the sun, in the rain and so on. But of course I KNOW that the Saguenay shows were the best. ;-)
kwills

Post by kwills » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:45 am

Being an expert on the LC concerts having being to only one on the 19th at the Manchester Opera House,I have to say that that one was the best! Five rows away from him,centre stage ,magnificent!I had tears in my eyes when he came bounding on to the stage.Will be seeing him again in Cardiff,can't wait!
kwills
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:15 am

The Royal Albert Hall concert in 1976 was the first time that I realised what a profoundly spiritual and totally transcendent experience was taking place. The first Royal Albert Hall in 1988 was also amazing. Despite attending nineteen other shows however, this years shows were right up there with the best. I'd probably go for Manchester June 17th or Brighton, but the first O2 was also a phenomenal experience.

All good things, John E
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:35 pm

My first LC gig was Manchester King's hall in '72. I have only missed the '85 tour. Each tour has been better than the previous. Thus, the ' 08 concerts stand out as 'the best'. The four gigs I have seen this year have been of the same excellent standard; that's how he is. Incapable of giving anything but his best. However, the RAH gig seemed so effortless. If this was a quality curve, then in my experience, the RAH was the pinnacle. The highlight for me was Chelsea hotel, this version just dripped nostalgia and of course I cried ( I recall he played guitar for the RAH rendition, but not Manhester MEN, have I got this right?). However, it is Manchester OH on the 17th that I will cherish, and this is the gig that 20,000 people will claim 'I was there'. Firstly, to be part of the welcome when he came on stage was amazing and memorable (what it must have felt like to be on the receiving end?). Secondly, to find him in such great form, contrary to some pre tour previews that his voice was 'shot'. Finally, that wonderful moment when he urged us to 'please sit down, I'm afraid you're going to leave'.
Of course, the size and beauty of the RAH and Manchester OH contributed to the 'enjoyment'. Manchester MEN is a horrible 'warehouse', but on the 30th November 2008, it was wonderful. Again, there was a memorable moment when the applause just kept on, and slowly the audience rose. It grew from applause for the song (sorry, can't recall what it was FBR, Anthem?) to a generic 'thanks for all the good times'. This touched him.
I know every single gig had 'special moments'. He's a genius, isn't he.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manchester OH 17th, Edinburgh, London RAH 18th, Manchester MEN
paddieu

Post by paddieu » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:50 am

FBR i think. lights came slightly up on the crowd and he cud see them, and then i wud say tears rose for him and i got a sense of 'the last time' briefly hitting him there.
i think u summed it up well - thanks for all the good times;that wud explain why i sensed that emotion behind his smile and wet eyes.

Im curious to know from long time fans of shows that were 'better' than this years. setting aside which of this years shows anyone thot was the best for the moment, to get a sense of the bigger picture.

for example

one friend at cardiff said he preferred 93 [?] with violin and better voice....
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Just listened to Cohen Live these days - the voice is MUCH better in 2008 (never better!) but yes - when you listen to 1993 Dance me.. it's so painfully obvious that the violin is missing...

I think that tour of 1979 (Field Commander Cohen) stays up on top with the 2008 tour. And 1988 was great. Judging from CDs, among best shows were Austin City Limits 1988, Toronto June 6 2008, Montreux Jazz Festival 1985, London Royal Albert Hall May 30, 1988, Brugge 2008...

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”