Cohen: "You can't possibly know what song this is"?

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
ludvigost

Cohen: "You can't possibly know what song this is"?

Postby ludvigost » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

In a live recording, Cohen starts intro, crowd cheers wildly. Then Cohen stops playing, laughs and says something along the lines of "You can't possibly know what song this is", and/or "They all start like this".

It's one of my favorite Cohen moments and I would love to find it again.
B4real

Re: Cohen: "You can't possibly know what song this is"?

Postby B4real » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:53 pm

ludvigost wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 pm
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
It sure does :) Welcome to the forum! Just ask and you shall receive! I meant to tell you this sooner but I got side-tracked. If you have the DVD Bird On A Wire Tour 1972 Tony Palmer 2010 version as I have it’s at 45:55 mins. If you don’t yet have the DVD the same segment is featured in both linked videos below. The first visual one it is at 47:10 mins and the second audio one at 36:20 mins between The Stranger Song and One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong.

LC says: “Now listen, you couldn’t possibly know what song that is. I start all my songs that way. That’s the only chord I know”. An audience member responds with "They're all wonderful songs!" Some talk from Leonard and then he breaks out into an impromptu song I’ve titled “I’m Trying To Break Free.” ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtAhTqVknx8
Bird On A Wire Tour 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFNVCyaSks
Frankfurt 6th April 1972

Enjoy!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”