CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Prospera

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Post by Prospera »

Here's the URL of the Amsterdam version Partisansong of Paris :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6G3uoF9j28

and a lot more songs here viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32575&start=30
njoy
rpan

Post by rpan »

Just back from second night in Paris. This was just incredible concert I thought, out of this world. Nothing new sung, no Joan of Arc alas but just fantastic performances, very intense, some of it more spoken than sung almost. Different Sides as an encore was great to hear.

The real joy was the venue, so lovely and intimate. And after Wembley and Dublin the audience were wonderful. Wildly enthusiastic between numbers and at the encore stage but hear a pin quiet during them, next to nobody heckling or moving in and out during the performance anywhere near me, great.

Lots of floral offerings for Mr Cohen and a few funny moments, especially First we take Manhattan which went a little bit awry!

Hope some video appears soon. As someone said of yesterday, it was just magic.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Prospera

Post by Prospera »

looking forward for the funny moments and the intimate beautiful ones.
BrokenBanjo

Post by BrokenBanjo »

Just got back to my hotel. I'm glad I picked the Olympia over the larger venues. It felt really intimate, nice atmosphere. Only hitch was the queue for tickets with TopBillet didn't open until 7pm and was slow, holding up the beginning of the concert.
Other than that, everything was excellent, sound quality wonderful. Very different to my only previous concert in Belfast: the Paris audience was younger on average, very respectful and more reserved during the songs, but applauded and cheered in the right places and times, before the encores where they stood,clapped, cheered and sang along. Clearly Partisan is the most popular with the French audience, but Hallelujah got big cheers too. I think only four songs from Old Ideas, which was surprising.
Those who have tickets for tomorrow night are in for a treat. If you're picking up your tickets via top billet, get there at 1900h sharp. (If you ordered tickets from the Olympia box office, it's open from at least 5.30).
Belfast: 26th July, 2009, Paris: 29th September, 2012
Looking forward to Birmingham, 8th September, 2013.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I've posted the detailed setlist for the second night over on the Setlists thread so just a quick summary here. Sets 1 & 2 were the same as for the first night but the second encore included Different Sides & Closing Time in place of If It Be Your Will and Save the Last Dance respectively.

Another great night at Paris Olympia. The audience were livelier without being over the top and it is a joy to see the show in such a small venue. We don't get many opportunities like this.

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

BrokenBanjo wrote: I think only four songs from Old Ideas, which was surprising.
Five in fact, for what it's worth:

Darkness
Amen
Come Healing
Going Home
Different Sides
BrokenBanjo wrote:Those who have tickets for tomorrow night are in for a treat. If you're picking up your tickets via top billet, get there at 1900h sharp. (If you ordered tickets from the Olympia box office, it's open from at least 5.30).
Note that the concert tomorrow starts one hour earlier, at 19:00 so you'll need to pick up your tickets at 18:00.

It was good to meet you BrokenBanjo!

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Camp Cohen

On For Night Two

The Professor Mitch Watkins warms up the digits backstage at the Olympia.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/325 ... to-lecture
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

olive31 wrote:More videos from Friday night: :D
First We take Manhattan
Who By Fire (Javier Mas solo)
Ring The Bells
olive31 wrote:What a magical night Paris yesterday!!!! :D :D :D :D
Here's a clip of The Partisan!
I have watched and enjoyed all these videos posted by "olive31" but wasn't sure who the actual videographer was.
It turns out they were shot by olive31 himself, aka Olivier who is OldIdeas2012 on YouTube.
So now I would like to say... Outstanding videos, Olivier. Thank you for posting them.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

olive31 wrote:More videos from Friday night: :D
First We take Manhattan
Who By Fire (Javier Mas solo)
Ring The Bells
Just want to say thankyou for the videos , which not only capture the performance well , but also give a great sense of the iconic venue
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
racerbear02

Post by racerbear02 »

A truly excellent concert, over 3 1/2 hours with the intermission. Excellent venue, attentive and enthusiastic audience.

Mabeanie1 must have been very unlucky with the usher because there was nothing like that visible last night, happily :) but early on, there were people being told to turn cameras off, I am pleased to say that after the lights went down there were many little screens visible, I just hope that they get posted somewhere so that we can all enjoy the experience again.

The overall impression for me was that the the concert lacked some of the energy and vitality of the previous ones I have been privileged to watch from the earlier tours, the arrangements were slower and more deliberate than previously, possibly in response to a voice getting a bit older, certainly Leonard Cohen seemed to actually 'sing' less and 'speak' more. 'The Partisan' drew the expected standing ovation but for me it was somehow flat and lacking in vibrancy.

Before people think I am just running down the concert, let me say that nothing could be further from the truth, the arrangements for all of the new songs were, in my opinion, much better than on the album. 'Darkness' was particularly fine.

Again some virtuoso performances from all the supporting musicians and singers, again acknowledged by Cohen and valued by the audience, but I have to say that I did miss Dino Soldo's input.

Same venue, same city again in 2013 please Leonard :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by webptichka - Thanks!

Sept 28

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwggO3WGxM
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

For Sept 29th show - link for set list - at Setlist.fm -

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/leonard-c ... dd53d.html
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Chris Bynum's Facebook - Roscoe Beck's standup double bass is put back in good health by Luthier James Chauvelin in Paris -

https://www.facebook.com/chris.bynum.963
maroo

Post by maroo »

wow!!
great videos, and great venue...I have been to Olympia once, and I in my opinion that was the best venuo of all the tour!!!
Anyway, thanks to share that fantastic video!!!

Piero
Dublin 14/15th September 2012
olive31

Post by olive31 »

Here's The Future with Leonard speaking in French to welcome and thank the audience!
Sorry I had to hide my camera during a few seconds as I had to stand up to let some people go. :twisted:
I can't believe the ushers went on seating people in the middle of the songs!!! :evil:

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”