CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you so much rpan for uploading JOA at the soundcheck so quickly. It was a joy to listen to it.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:
According to Leonard today - in response to my impassioned plea to hear the song in the set sometime - they haven't quite "nailed it" yet. They didn't include it in the sound check today but who knows? Maybe Barcelona will be the night ......

Wendy
Can 19 days be enough to "nail it"? :roll: :roll:
Or perhaps it will be "nailed" in 46 days for opening on the other side of the pond in Austin?
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
doepus

Post by doepus »

I was at the soundcheck on 11 September and they practiced Joan of Arc so I am sure it will make an appearance.
I choose the rooms that I live in with care.
The windows are small and the walls almost bare.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Thank you rpan,
Looks like a dream can become true....19 or 46 ....
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

bridger15 wrote:

Or perhaps it will be "nailed" in 46 days for opening on the other side of the pond in Austin?
---Arlene
Well said Arlene!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Here you are as promised, couple of soundcheck minutes of "not quite nailed" Joan of Arc...http://youtu.be/LCsgjJhGj0o[/quote]

Thankyou so much rpan . :D :D
I hope he doesn't become too preoccupied with nailing it and just offers it !
('Forget your perfect offering..........')
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
kamil

Post by kamil »

Ok, it's a high time I contribute (at least in a small way) to the forum instead of just lurking in the shadows and leaching all the useful info.

So, here's my short report for the 14th:

Let's start with the weather - reports from the previous concerts warned about freezing temperatures.
Today it wasn't so bad, well, at least for me - in the warm jacket, surrounded by people and shielded from the wind.

It's a whole different story for the band, they were totally exposed on the stage and you could see how hard the wind was blowing by looking at the smoke - it looked like a blizzard in there.
I had great luck and privilege to be in the front row right in front of the Webb Sisters and it was clearly visible that Charley could hardly stop shivering - and yet it didn't affect her brilliant performance at all. Same goes for the rest of the band.

The concert was just perfect - no other way to put it. I really liked the setlist, it was the ideal addition to the songs I heard in Berlin last week. I won't dare to write out the full setlist, because I'd forgot something for sure, but here are the highlights:
We got "Hey, that's no way to say goodbye" - wonderful surprise, I love this song.
Also "I can't forget" in the first part, no "Waiting for a miracle".
"Tower of song" + the usual set in part two.

First encores: So long Marianne, First we take Manhattan
Second and third encores: Famous Blue Raincoat, If it be your will by Webb Sisters , Closing time AND I tried to leave you - so it was the best ending possible.

All in all a magical evening that will never be forgotten - many thanks to the Leonard and the band for making it happen and enduring the hash conditions for us.
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

As with the comments above, i found tonights concert amazing. I'd attended Wednesday nights but tonights performance far exceeded the wonderful show on Wednesday.It's rather cruel to have a band performing in such cold circumstances but we're used to Indian summers in September and who could have guessed it would be so cold.
Full marks to the security team for trying their very best but also being reasonable. I've never known so many people to go and sit in prime seats hoping the real occupants won't arrive only for seurity to have to evict them.
Back again tomorrow night and just can't wait.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

My usual photo sets:
9-14-2012
Soundcheck: https://picasaweb.google.com/1171454776 ... Soundcheck#
Show: https://picasaweb.google.com/1171454776 ... sWorldTour#

Thanks for everyone for their kind words. Some people asked about the equipment i used. It's not a professional camera with changable lenses but a Canon SX40 Hs ultrazoom bridge camera. It's new so I have a lot more to learn about it but I love it already.

Eva
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Great concert Friday night that seemed to get better and better as the night went on.

Generally speaking the crowd was well behaved with no more comings and goings than at the average indoor gig except at the start of each main set. I do not want to pick on the Irish but why announce that the show is about to start only to those already sitting in their seats rather than those still queuing for food and drinks. The walk to the venue really was like being on a enhanced by the walk through the lovely gardens of the museum of modern art. The stewards were all very friendly. wishing us an enjoyable evening. Great bonus staying at the Ashling such a great hotel and location for the concert.

My seat was on about row 10 infront of a big screen which actually proved to be a great seat for sound and vision even if it lacked a bit of that personal feeling of being closer to Leonard. No complaints with the sound and I could hear every word. A healthy 8 out of 10 from someone normally highly critical of sound and that's a great score for outdoors.

Food looked great and only sorry I had brought a grotty Tesco meal deal with me that my dear wife insisted I not waste. Blame me for insisting on having food with us just in case I might otherwise starve to death.

A bit dissapointed with the merchandise prices and selection hence very few waiting at the stall. I did manage to raise a chuckle when I asked how much the plastic carrier bags cost! Bought a program though but just for the bag of course.

The weather was just about perfect although it did get chilly by the end of each half having sat in it for over an hour but well done to the band if it was as cold for them as some others have reported.

The sound is certainly less "produced" without dino and more in line with classic Cohen and the simpler old ideas but it came across very well.

For me the first 8 or so songs were a bit samey from previous tours and although a few were essentials I would have preferred a few changes and a bit of resorting the order mixing old and new. Leonard's songs are not known to get you on your feet but us fans really can manage a bit of subtle head banging and so perhaps that's where dino was an advantage although a change of order and energy in production might have done the trick just as effectively. It would also have warmed us up.

Highlights were, and I am not afraid to admit it, all three female solos. One of my top 10 all time favourite songs Alexandra leaving was probably the greatest live performance I have ever witnessed and I have seen many legends many times. What is so special is to see the girls show so much love and respect for the songs they are singing and equally to see all the musicians doing the same and of course to see Leonard show so much genuine respect for all members of his band by holding his hat over his heart, watching them play or sing so intently and bowing towards them in genuine and humble gratitude.

Leonard and his band are perfectionists so much so my all time favourite song Joan of arc is apparently not ready to be performed so that was my biggest dissapointment. I could easily think of half a dozen songs I would have swapped in for several performed both as personal preference but also for variation from the previous tour but that's not down to me and I suspect it is just too much for Leonard and the band to swap so much around at the same time as making such a fundamental change by swapping wind instruments for violin.

Other highlights for me were hey that's no way and famous blue raincoat the latter with everyone on their feet. I find closing time and I tried to leave you just too obvious but of the 2 I tried to leave you was great not only because it was a suprise extra song but because it is just such a fitting way for the band to show their skills, take the much earned acclaim and thanks from the crowd and say thanks and goodnight to us.

When Leonard began the show I was shaking my head from side to side in disbelief that not only Leonard has given us this catalogue of songs but has performed them for us at his age. Last night Leonard did one my song than Springsteen sang in Washington. I can only hope to see him again but will always have these precious memories.

Next Monday and Tuesday is the Jewish new year but I have celebrated early with songs of greater musicality and profoundly greater meaning. Happy new year to Leonard and all his band and fans whether Jewish or not.
Last edited by clive cass on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

I love the seriousness of this photo
_SAA4426s by Sandra Armstrong, on Flickr
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Great reports and what a wonderful photo - thanks so much for posting.

Yet again, last night was utterly magical. Great venue, great performances and a fabulous crowd. I particularly enjoyed so many people waltzing in the aisles during "Take this waltz". As at Wembley, it seemed that Leonard was enjoying himself enormously. I cannot think of a better way to spend an evening.

The only negative for me was the couple in front of us who arrived late and proceeded to disrupt much of the concert. If it wasn't her exhibitionism in standing up and displaying her g-string to everyone in row d and beyond, it was them talking loudly, particularly during the most atmospherically charged moments (of which there were many, as usual). Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, they started snogging enthusiastically, right in our line of vision. I don't think I need describe to members of this Forum how hard it was not to let this spoil the experience. I often wonder if I'm too intolerant, but really. Get a room.

Having said that, this was my 9th LlC concert and in places it reached new heights. Many of my friends and family think I'm mildly insane / obsessed, but I can honestly say I have never regretted attending one of these concerts and have always discovered new magic in the process. While that continues, I'll sail on regardless. Next stop: Paris!

Tom

London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

Hi
Overall it was another great night. I especailly liked the second section more than the first. I though he struggled badly with the bird on the wire and anthem, but other than that he was immense. From suzzane until the end I was in heaven. I brought my 7 year old who enjoyed it, I left after before the encores so as to avoid the crush. Great night. Cohen rocks.
Amcgee
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Sept 12 -
This is not great video -
But the audio is good
And as the it captures Sharon Robinson's very beautiful performance.

Uploaded by Spannishjohny - Thanks!

Alexandra Leaving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yclGoU7lKEU
willo

Post by willo »

Another memorable evening in Kilmainham last night. I saw Leonard for the very first time on a memorable June night in 2008 and I thought that night could never be surpassed. But Leonard keeps on surprising us and last night was a veritable feast of musical talents.

32 songs performed between 19.15 and 23.00 with a 20 minute break. I think Leonard`s real secret is the quality of the Musicians and Singers which he has assembled. They truly are an amazing band and it was wonderful to see Leonard show his appreciation with head bowed as he paid homage to these wonderfully talented people.

There were so many highlights but for me In My secret life/ Democracy and Closing Time with violin were hair raising. Leonard`s judgement in adding Alexandru to the band has been correct as the violin sound added greatly to some songs and allows others eg Hey That`s No Way to be added to the setlist. Having said that Dino Soldo was a massive hit with the band on previous tours and maybe the day will come when there will be room for both Dino and Alexander on the stage.

I thank you Leonard from the bottom of my heart. Your music brightens sunny summer evenings and shortens the longest winter nights. You are welcome in this fair land anytime and we will never tire of having you perform here.

Willo

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”