CONCERT REPORTS: London, September 8 & 9

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The venue for these concerts, following the switch from outdoors shows at the Hop Farm, will be Wembley Arena in North London. Most UK forum members will be familiar with the arena but maybe not those from outside the UK. The arena is an indoor venue adjacent to, and not to be confused with, the famous football stadium of the same name.
Wembley arena front.jpg
Wembley arena front.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 15551 times
The historic arena was built in 1934 for the British Empire Games and originally featured a swimming pool. As a result, the venue was known for many years as the Empire Pool. The pool was last used for the 1948 Olympics but the arena has retained its Olympics connections and was used as a venue for London 2012.

As the Empire Pool and latterly the Wembley Arena, the venue has played host to many famous gigs over the years, most notably the New Musical Express Poll Winners concerts in the mid 60s. I can remember going to these concerts as a teenager. I never saw the Beatles perform live but I did get to see the Stones, and many other big names, at an NME concert. The venue was refurbished in 2006 and now seats 12,500.
Wembley interior.jpg
Wembley arena with crowd.jpg
The last time I went to Wembley Arena was 1992 to see Bruce Springsteen. The sound was truly awful back then so it will be interesting to see what, if anything, they've done to improve the sound since the refurbishment. Of course, if anyone can get the arena to sound sweet it will be Leonard's sound crew.

More details: http://www.wembleyarena.co.uk/wembley-experience/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Arena

Enjoy!

Wendy
ladydi

Re: CONCERT REPORT: 8 - 9 SEPTEMBER - London UK

Post by ladydi »

Thanks Wendy. I'm sure all UK fans are aware of the difference, but I was assuming it was the same Wembley soccer stadium. Interesting history. I am sure LC's sound crew will create a beautiful evening. They are the best! Enjoy!!
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: London, September 8 & 9

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey/Camp Cohen -

Keep Calm London, UHTC Has Come Calling.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/311 ... alm-london
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

tends to be lots of echo

It is so nice to have Leonard in the 'United Kingdom'
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Show start has been pushed to 8pm to accommodate ticket exchanges. Presently still about a thousand people queued at the ticket windows.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/311 ... h-to-eight
rpan

Post by rpan »

I thought this was just fantastic concert, band now really gelling and Mr Cohen in great voice and seemed to be really enjoying it, started at 8 and had to end at 11.30.

A very full apology from him about the change of venue was a notable thing at the start.

Another review: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/332456

These blond and drunk ladies were just an embarrassment to themselves, they were not right next to me but their antics were distracting even at some distance. To whoever is hoping or expecting nobody to move about, get food etc - good luck! Food and drink is allowed in the auditorium and there was a stready stream of people to and fro the whole time, any old number soft or loud makes no difference!
Last edited by rpan on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

What a amazing show! It started 30 mins late because of the massive queue of people outside still trying to get their tickets (Wembley Arena couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery) but the curfew was pushed back to 11.30 pm to make up so we didn't lose out.

The atmosphere was tremendous - there was lots of love in the air and you could tell that Leonard could feel it. He apologised early on in the show for the inconvenience we'd been put to and later on, he introduced the Webb Sisters with "from Kent, England, where we should have been tonight". I need to get my brain in gear to remember the full set list but sets 1 & 2 were largely as expected but with the unexpected re-appearance of I Can't Forget in the first set. I couldn't catch everything Leonard said at the end of I Can't Forget but it started I used to live in London. The encores were cut back to just 4:

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
------------------------------
Famous Blue Raincoat
Save the Last Dance for Me (a short version due to curfew)

So Long Marianne was one of those where the audience took over the choruses & Leonard just listened.

A very special night.

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you Wendy for this review!

British audiences are also known to be exhuberant and the love and admiration they feel for LC is definitely conveyed to all those on stage. So, in addition to doing the chorus for 'Marianne', did you possibly join in for 'Save the Last....'?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
meglos2000

Post by meglos2000 »

A wonderful gig with Leonard performing his heart and soul out.

The apology was interesting with him saying he only found out about the change as we did. He made a veiled remark about the dark side of business and how he never 'gets to shake or crush the hands' of those behind it. He did seem quite angry on our behalf.

The band were playing brilliantly and the sound was perfect. Highlights for me were a great I'm Your Man and new songs from Old Ideas.

Only slight irritation was on the encores when an obviously drunk pair of girls pushed to the front and started singing along badly and out of tune. Fair enough during Marianne but it carried on during Famous Blue Raincoat and killed the spell that song normally casts.

But apart from that a great gig and I'm so glad it was rearranged.

Thank you for a unforgettable night.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Thanks for the prompt reviews.... I've been waiting anxiously! Sounds as if it was a great evening. :mrgreen:

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

joyezekiel wrote:Thanks for the prompt reviews.... I've been waiting anxiously! Sounds as if it was a great evening. :mrgreen:

Joy
I would like to add my thanks too. It is delightful to read all the prompt reviews from actual concert goers. :D

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
lightasabreeze

After all that

Post by lightasabreeze »

After all the trials and tribulations of getting tickets changed and whatever. It came to me that the real advantage to changing the venue (not counting weather conditions) is the fact that I will be watching the concert tonight without people getting in my way to-ing and fro-ing with burgers and beer while Leonard was on stage which was what happened at Weybridge. These people that could not sit for a concert without the urge to eat and drink, spoilt it for me almost as much as the rain did. So tonight I look forward to an evening with Leonard without interruption.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
bean

Post by bean »

A beautiful performance.

Enjoyed it immensely. :D

Had to skip the encores in order to catch the last train but glad I did not miss too much.
LizzieM

Post by LizzieM »

A great evening, all the band were fantastic. Ironically it was extremely hot and for once an outdoor venue in the UK would have been ok!

Unfortunately, as meglos2000 mentioned, during some of the later songs and for all of the encores, it was difficult to hear Leonard singing above the shouting and out of tune singing of one, seemingly drunk, girl right in front of us. She was very difficult to ignore. However, we were so lucky to have such good seats because of this forum, so thank you to all the people who put in the work to run this site.

I sincerely hope that we all have the opportunity to repeat the wonderful concert experience somewhere next year.......
2008: Bournemouth, RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Wetbridge, Granada. 2012: Wembley (Hop Farm). 2013: Brighton.

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”