Corrected link for John Bergeron

The New York Event - before and after!
Bobbie

Corrected link for John Bergeron

Post by Bobbie »

http://www.musicaldreams.com/NewYorkEvent.html

Sorry about the incorrect one in my previous post.

Bobbie
John

About the Tribute to Ray Charles.....

Post by John »

I was so overwhelmed with the weekend. I wanted to meet & talk with everyone. I'm not sure if I've ever felt that way about a gathering before. It went too quickly. When we were at the poetry reading I wanted to perform a tribute to Ray Charles because it had been on my mind. I had performed earlier but thought I'd come back to it. When Natalie thanked us all after Suzanne's closing set I knew my window of opportunity had slipped by but it wasn't long before I knew I could record this when I got home and back in my studio. Although the emotion in this piece is focused toward Ray & what he meant to us all it comes from the emotion of the weekend & all who gathered there. Maybe that's why it is so chatty. Maybe I just have a lot to say about both subjects. As you can see (and hear), I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

"My two favorite and best teachers were Ray Charles & Bill Evans. I can't explain what they gave to me. Here's my tribute to Mr. Charles. Please pass this song on to all. Thank you, Ray. Rock on in Heaven... jb"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi John ~

I haven't been to the link yet, but will be going. In circa 1972, I listened a lot to my "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" album :D .

I have been listening every day at work, with headphones, to both of your CDs. Beautiful ~ truly beautiful! I've been singing along to them ~ and thinking I was doing it quietly. My supervisor came to me a couple weeks ago with a great big smile, and motioned with her hand parallel to, and pushing toward, the floor to 'lower' my voice. I took off the headphones and she said, "You're serenading the office :lol: ." I immediately thought of the Julia Roberts bathtub scene in "Pretty Woman" and said, "Oh no :shock: ! Am I off-key, too :? ?" She laughed and said, "No. Actually, you're pretty good. It's just that Carla has a customer :lol: ."

So, I breathed a sigh of relief, on one hand, and 'lowered' it ~ then, this week, Carla came to me and did the same thing. Geesh! For some reason, when I listen to either of your CDs, I can't help but start singing along with them.

It's interesting because I've also been playing Suzanne Holland's CD of Leonard's songs, and don't sing along; just intently listen, and enjoy it just as much! I wonder does it have to do with the chording, the key, the finger style, what!?!

The bottom line, John, is thank you sooooooo much :D for your gifts! You've recorded them remarkably beautifully 8) ~ and I've considered using yours and Suzanne's for lending to anyone who might be remotely tempted to call Leonard's music 'depressing.' His music lends itself so well ~ as classics do ~ to many varieties of rendering.

~ Elizabeth

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”