Sincerely L Cohen

The New York Event - before and after!
dick

Sincerely L Cohen

Post by dick »

Good news -- Medicine Show Theater is hoping to do another run of Sincerely L. Cohen in New York around Leonard's birthday this September. Will keep forum members posted when firm details are available.

Would also like to read more participant reactions to the play. I very much enjoyed the presentation and hope at some point to identify the sources for most of the prose sections.

Dick
smccallon

Post by smccallon »

I enjoyed the play very much! I really liked how it was entirely made up of Cohen's words and music. They used a lot of poems from The Energy of Slaves. The actors did a great job singing, especially the man who did "Tower of Song." That was incredible!
I wish I could see it again... Maybe someday.

-Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/passthrufire
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's excellent news, Dick! I could maybe get a quick flight there and back....just a weekend thing, for lack of realistic time off by then, plus an upcoming cruise in November.

The play was stunning and I loved it!!! My psyche luxuriated in Leonard's words coming from all directions, through different, widely-varied people, poses, and implications. The vitality, humour, and pathos. All of it. It was like being ushered in to a royal hall, and being served a 12-course meal comprised strictly of delectable and filling, gourmet delights. Gratifying beyond measure to see Leonard's work being given this serious application of theatre. Such validation 8) :D . I'd love to have it on film and to see it again in New York! Even its chosen title "Sincerely, L. Cohen" underscores that Leonard's work comes from a sincere place and is to be taken seriously.

I would love to have been able to see the original 'Leonard' in his role, but that wasn't meant to be. The creator of the play chose well in her replacement of him. I wish I'd been able to be there with the rest of you the second night, when you had lengthier conversation with the cast. She looked and seemed to be a most interesting person! I loved it that [again] people 'performing' Leonard's works become transformed into Leonard appreciators. With no holds barred, I gave my full, all-out verbal expression of appreciation during the ending-applause phase on the first night. Incredible production!!! Innovative, fresh, and real! Her love of his work showed/shone brilliantly through :D !

~ Lizzy
dar

Post by dar »

I sent off a thank you email to Medicine Show as soon as I got home because "Sincerely, L. Cohen" was, honestly, the highlight of the event for me personally. (I'm just a "play" person I guess.) Barbara Vann was kind enough to reply, which was really a surprise. I hope those who didn't get a chance to see the play during the event may get another chance in September. I loved it!

And, Dick, if you ever get a transcript or written script of the play, I would be happy to try and help with the references. Of course, Marie's Concordance would be about all we'd need!
Dar

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”