The New York Event in our memories

The New York Event - before and after!
bobo

Postby bobo » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:51 pm

Is you willing talk about your relateing ship with Leonard? Is it still going or has he dumped you yet. He is great singer but more than 60 years old.

Was he dead icate the album to you as goodbye present maybe?

I want to know all this and less if you don't mind very much.
lightning

Postby lightning » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:28 am

He doesn't write about women he's dumped, only about the ones that have dumped him.
Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:23 am

Teratogen wrote:... and some disliked "on that day," about 9/11. they said it was 3 years ago and there was no reason to keep writing songs about it, especially for leonard.
Why "especially for leonard"? A peculiar choice of words. I mean he does live in the United States doesn't he? Perhaps he likes America and Americans. And grieved with us "on that day".
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 am

i apologize if my words were taken out of context. i was only reiterating what others have said to me about the song. what others said to me during a conversation about the new songs was that they were somewhat unsatisfied or disappointed that leonard wrote a song about 9/11 3 years after the fact, and that they were disappointed in the song itself. this is not a verbatim quote, either. i am paraphrasing. i did not have a notebook or tape recorder handy to get down all the information in our discussion.
jeannieb

Postby jeannieb » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:33 am

I had such a belly laugh when I read Midnight's comment. :lol:

Leonard is having a laugh, too. He is lighter than air as he approcaches seventy.

Personally, he can name the anything he wants, as long as he keeps creating!

When it comes out, I promise I'll buy it and send it to you in a brown paper wrapper.
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
jeannieb

Postby jeannieb » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:50 am

RE: "Sharon Robinson wrote all the music for TNS". The jewel case states All songs by Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson. Sharon is also credited with arranging, and producing, and vocals.

Although her contribution is consideralbe, I respectfully disagree with that statement. Somehow, I think Leonard did a bit more than just sing along.
:roll:
smccallon

Postby smccallon » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:07 pm

jeannieb,

I agree with you about Leonard and how he is having a laugh too. At the convention it was funny because Leanne Ungar *) assured us all that Leonard is happy. Hahaha.
I find it funny that someone could be classified as depressed for over forty years as Leonard Cohen has been. There is a bit of humor in that.

-Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/passthrufire

*) actually it was Perla Batalla at the Knitting Factory! / Jarkko
jeannieb

Postby jeannieb » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:10 am

lightning wrote:He doesn't write about women he's dumped, only about the ones that have dumped him.
I can think of one VERY notable exception! 8)
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:44 am

I believe I've already said how much I enjoyed the performers' anecdotes regarding Leonard!

Well, regarding the descriptions of the people, the question crossed my mind as to whether I should use the word "waiflike" regarding John Bergeron's 'youngest' or to use it in regard to Perla. However, John's girl gets the nod for it. Perla came across to me as being more gypsylike and free-spirited. Performing onstage barefoot ~ this Piscean loved that! ~ "so brave and so free," she flowed and turned in circles as she moved to the music. The music just seemed to fill her soul, and she had no choice but to sway and twirl :D . She did it with an ease suggestive of her being outside, barefoot in the grass and sunshine, dancing and singing to music she's always loved 8) .

With white and black [individually] my favourite colours, I loved her being dressed in off[?]-white. I had to laugh when I later [in Suttons Bay, Michigan, and still on my vacation] came across the "FLAX" brand of clothing, with dresses costing in the range of $195 USD; and then in a Goodwill thrift store, coming across a 'dress'/top that looked identical, costing me $5.95 USD! Mine is a dove grey. It would seem to me that her 'peasantlike' appearance came at a fairly high cost.

Thank you, Linda :D , for relinquishing your [balcony] seat next to Dick, so I could sit [and be several feet closer] to the stage, even though I was perfectly happy to remain seated on the steps, right next to him on the other side. And, sorry Dick :shock: , for periodically blocking your view :wink: , but DANG, I wanted so much to get a picture of Perla's bare feet! We Pisceans have that "feet" thing going on, so the naturalness of her performing barefoot was truly photo-worthy for me. If I were a performer, her style would be mine. Barefoot, loose and free clothing, twirling about as the music moved me. However, I suspect my 14-foot flash :roll: was hardly enough to capture anything on film from that distance, with my little disposable camera, so I may have to rely on someone else to end up with an actual photo of her ~ or anyone else ~ on that stage Friday night ~ I sure hope someone got a picture of her bare feet!

John's 'middle' angel, truly statuesque. Julie Christiansen ~ the kind of woman I'm not, but always so admire......those who successfully are both bold and beautiful, without being brazen! There's a certain, mandatory elegance in order for that to happen. Her interpretive singing is beyond belief. So skilled 8) .

"....There is a crack, a crack in everything ~ that's how the light gets in...." ~~~ "...While the killers in high places say their prayers out loud...." ~ "Anthem" did it for me! The tears flowed.....the buildup of the emotional tension of the night finally found its way to expression, and I couldn't stop the tears for 10 minutes after the performance ended. Such a culmination of anticipation, excitement, and satisfaction exceeding expectation ~ finally triggered by the raw emotion that Leonard's words so often elicit. What a magnificent night ~ 'Night Magic' beyond belief!

So much in memories; so many words eluding me for properly expressing the images in my mind, the warmth in my heart. I'll keep trying; for now, I need sleep.

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:33 am

Hmmm.....I was thinking that Leanne mentioned something about that, too :? ! Is this the power of suggestion at work....with me being in a vulnerable, weakened state, with higher susceptibility, due to sleep deprivation?

~ Lizzy
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:30 am

lizzy... when you speak of john's "middle" angel, you are talking about the gentleman who performed on the piano with the 3 female vocalists, correct? i saw them upstairs at the knitting factory as the first performers, before perla and julie's performance. i sat right in the front row, right in front of the "middle" angel, god forgive me--i forget her name, but i could not keep my eyes off of her. she was so beautiful, listening to her sing and watching her onstage... it was quite memorable!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:09 pm

Yes, exactly, Teratogen :D . I couldn't keep my eyes off her, either.....she was soooo regal! Stillness infused with beauty, grace, and expressiveness in her singing and being. She was stunning. The female performers were all stand-out individuals 8) . A 'cut above' all the way around, each in their unique fashion.

And, what about the female drummer that Perla has 'confiscated' from the other, successful groups and singers. Great score, Perla :D ! I had nothing available to write with when she cited previous alliances, but the list was impressive! I hope someone got them written down, or that we can see/hear for ourselves at some point :wink: !

Instead of, "I could have daaaaaanced aaaaall night....," it was a clear-case of, "I could have waaaaatched aaaaall night......."

Did you get some photos of your dream angel? Did you get any photos of Perla's bare feet?

~ Lizzy
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi Jeannie ~ Yes, I agree, regarding Leonard's role in "Ten New Songs." He's sooo willing to grant and share credit 8) .

~ Lizzy
jeannieb

Postby jeannieb » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:27 am

Lizzie,

Since you speak of bare feet -- I am lusting after a copy of a photograph of Leonard, in his elegant dark suit, with bare feet. Several of them appear in the biopic "In His Own Words" That are absoluteley , well, you know what I mean. He is in some very upscale hotel on pale upholstered furniture.

And I 'm not even a Piscean.

:roll:
Teratogen

Postby Teratogen » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:43 am

no, sorry, lizzy, i didn't get any pictures of any of the performers, except i got a picture of sean with richard mcgraw. that guy's a hoot. he hung out with us outside the international house at the beautiful green park right outside. but i believe that "angel" was this girl who was talking to me at the bar before the performance. a younger girl, who looked like her at least asked me if i was with the cohen event and where i got the pin. i told her it was part of the gift bag we all got. i know it's nothing important to remember, but girls don't usually talk to me. haha. and after i saw her onstage i said to myself, "hey, i think that was the girl that was talking to me at the bar!" but then they left the stage and i don't think i ever saw them again. :( oh well.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”