Shopping in New York

The New York Event - before and after!
margaret

Shopping in New York

Post by margaret »

Can anyone give me an idea of the best place to buy a minidisc/walkman in N Y, and the likely cost for a decent brand like Sony? I am thinking of getting one as a present for someone while I am there for the Event.

thanks,
Margaret
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

All I can tell you about shopping in NY is ~ EXPENSIVE! I want to know where the closest recycle/thrift shop is ~ Lightning, on both counts?
Kush

Post by Kush »

There are some local electronics stores along 7th ave. just outside of Penn station (Penn station is below Madison Sq. Garden/7th ave & 32nd street or 34th street)all within walking distance of it where you can find this kind of stuff. A Sony brand should cost around $50- $70. You can get brands as cheap as $30 i think. Else, you can look for a bestbuy or circuit city store in the vicinity.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Thanks Kush, that sounds considerably cheaper than in England, particularly with the current exchange rate. 8)

margaret
Kush

Post by Kush »

OK it now appears that I am not quite up to date with modern technology. This minidisc thing that you mention seems to be a little different from the discman(CD walkman) that I had in mind when i read your query. But my sources inform me that Sony minidisc costs $100 which may or may not be a better deal than what you'd get in UK.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Thanks again, I'll re-evaluate and do my sums! May still be worth buying there.
karen_ny

do not buy at the small shops...

Post by karen_ny »

hi there - i stumbled upon this website from the knitting factory site - sounds like you will have a lot of fun this weekend.

whatever you do - do NOT buy any electronics from the small privately owned electronics stores. they are notorius for ripping people off and you cannot get your money back if the item is damaged, broken, etc. those shops are tourist traps and are constantly being featured in the 'shame on you!' tv news segments.

there are some big chain stores like 'best buy' and 'circuit city' and even 'pc richards'. these are all reputable companies to do business with. i don't really know all their locations in the city but it should not be difficult to figure out with a web search.

also FYI elsewhere on this site i saw a reference to some activities and it mentioned you will need 4 subway tokens. we don't use tokens any more (maybe the buses use them still?) you can buy the paper metrocard subway tickets for $2 from vending machines in the subway stations.

well have a great time in nyc. let me just add, have any of you heard of a young singer named josh ritter? he is amazing, he writes incredible lyrics and gets compared to LC sometimes. in fact that is how i heard of LC in the first place i believe.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Karen ~

Welcome to this site :D ! Thanks for the excellent information, too 8) , as well as the well wishes! Actually, Josh Ritter has been mentioned here in favourable terms, and in the context of LC, as well. Stop back :D !

~ Lizzy
lightning

Post by lightning »

Margaret,
Why don't you do net research on the product you want, shop on Ebay or half.com . Then you will know whether or not you are getting a good price in New York. I don't know know the product you are talking about but it sounds like sound advice to buy from a big chain. J & R Music World downtown is a favorite. They have a website so you could find what to expect.
Last edited by lightning on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
karen_ny

Post by karen_ny »

also you could look at http://www.bestbuy.com and http://www.circuitcity.com and see if they carry the item. they both have good sites with product reviews. etc

8)
margaret

Post by margaret »

thanks to everyone for the tips, look forward to seeing some of you very soon :D

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”