Fire Up, You Weenies!

The New York Event - before and after!
Joe Way

Fire Up, You Weenies!

Post by Joe Way »

Ok, we have it on good authority that Leonard is going to be releasing a new album in the not too distant future. There is also the possibility that there might be a book of poems as well.

There is the Hal Wilner tribute concert in Brighton on May 22 and 23rd that I can't get out of my mind because it was so brilliant in Brooklyn. We have a world class Leonard Cohen Event scheduled from June 11th to 13th in New York. We have the prospect of many old and new friends getting together again in just a couple of months for some great times.

And then, Jarkko, sends me an email-"Things on line have been very slow" and starts to complain about how busy he is! While I'm sure that it is true, come on folks, what is important here? (Apologies to Jarkko, who has done more than anybody to deliver the goods about Leonard-how lucky are we to have a major poet and songwriter who has recently re-committed himself to the important role of poet and artist in our lives-do you think those sketches on line don't mean anything?)

These *are* the good old days!

Joe

P. S. The Event is on solid financial ground. We're only concerned now that our people will miss out on a wonderful experience.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That is amazingly good news, Jarkko and Joe :D ~ it sounds like Leonard must be working extremely hard to even envision bringing out both :shock: ! 8) 8) 8) I wonder, wonder, wonder if either will be out in time for the Event 8) !?!

I also hope that more will soon sign up for the Event. I dreamt the other night that I wasn't able to go because I'd been sentenced to 3 years in prison [and didn't realize that until I was already behind closed doors]. My first thought, "How am I going to tell my mother!?!" My second thought, "This means I can't go to the Event!!!" I asked around immediately if there was any possibility at all of being let 'go home' on a weekend. Then, I thought, "Oh, Partisan is gonna love this!"

Then, I had another dream that I was already there, but had left my car at some unknown parking lot in New York, and had no way of knowing where. Some blonde woman [from the Event ~ a thank you to her!] helped me find it [via the parking stub]. We took the subway [which was actually an el-train in the dream] out to where it was. Some nice-looking, dark-haired man wanted to come along with us. I asked if he was going to the Event. He said, "Yeah, more or less." I said, "There is no 'more or less'....you either are or you're not." Then, I asked, "Who is the Event about?" When he drew another blank, I advised him that he was not coming with us, and we left. I'm wondering if any of the other attendees are starting to dream about it.

You're right, Joe, these *are* the good old days. That really struck me when you said that.

~ Lizzy
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

I have a great plan to encourage people to sign up.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Of course you do, Partisan :wink: .
Joe Way

Event Update

Post by Joe Way »

Ok, in my enthusiasm in reading the Event update, I forgot to mention it. If someone hasn't seen it-please go to the front page of http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com and click on the top new item, "The Event Program."

Regarding your question, Lizzy, about whether the album will be ready by the time of the event, Jarkko doesn't think so. The poetry speculation is just Dick and I, as Leonard released both "Various Positions" and "The Book of Mercy" around the time of his 50th birthday.

Partisan, it is good to hear from you again! It has been some time. As far as your remarks about an idea for a plan-the committee would welcome it with open arms. I would like to point out that we have about 200 participants right now which was about what we had on Hydra. Our budgets are right in line (200 was our break even point). Any additional attendees will only help add to what we are presenting. Plus, I was truly speaking from the heart when I said that it was the desire to have new people (or vets) not miss this experience.

I made a big leap of faith when I registered for Hydra (and I had to convince Anne a little bit). She has spoken so highly of the our time there, that we have made the committment to take our daughters and their boyfriends as well.

Being on the committee has been a blessing as I have been able to speak with so many people on line and help with details. One thing I should add is that, the people who attend seem to be very welcoming and inclusive. Of course, it takes some effort on anyone's part to meet new people and become involved. I think many people want to be welcoming but are not outgoing as well. Everybody, make the first step, you won't regret it. There does not seem to be the negative energy that takes over this forum at times. All of our masks are abandoned except for the mask of our presence-and it begins from there.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's fine, Joe.....it would have been an added plus if it had been. The Event program is really filling out beautifully. How exciting all the details are becoming. The menu is awesome. WoW on the program design by Kadir! First class!
TheBlueMask

Thank You...

Post by TheBlueMask »

Joe & Jarkko,

:D

Thanks for the new information. I am thoroughly excited about the month of June more so than before. The event program is beyond my expectations and the V.I.P. dinner is going to be fantastic. The performers, the food, and the environment will be beautiful. The weekend activities blew me away. I am looking forward to the walking tour especially to see Chelsea Hotel, the place where many of my favorite artists lived for a time. The open mic. session going until 3:00 am will be smoking as well. The art exhibitions, the films, and the beauty of being where so much great work has come from. This is an overload of greatness that I fully welcome.
I feel blessed that I am able to be part of such a wonderful time. This is going to be one of the highlights of my young life so far. Thank you to all the event organizers, the performers, the fans, and everyone who will be involved in this great weekend in advance.
Geez, this is going to be wild.

Thank You,
Sean
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love your enthusiasm, Sean :D ! You're so right with all you've said 8) !

~ Lizzy

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”