Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
FatherDougal

Re: Dino on facebook: no tour for him this time

Post by FatherDougal »

jarkko wrote:From Leonard:

"Dino is a dear friend, a great player, a full-fledged member of the band, on full salary, but now in a stand-by position.  I miss his company.  This is not the moment to unfold the complexities of his absence. We shall, no doubt, hook up again somewhere down the road.  G-d willing, we hope to still be able to deliver an acceptable concert.

Sincerely,

L. Cohen"
Just becoming aware of, & attempting to come to terms with, this sad news. But within
Mr Cohen's message lies hope (" hook up again somewhere down the road").

We are all traversing our own roads of life, & occasionally have to slip into the
slow lane, or even take a break, usually by our own volition. So, I wish Mr Soldo
a speedy return to his, & our, road of life. He, & his music, is & will
be in all our minds. I am sure that Mr Cohen, RK & the rest of the band,
will play/speak a tribute to Dino's, short-term, absence!

Godspeed
Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again.
arran

Re: Dino not in the band

Post by arran »

Sooooooooooo sad that Dino is not to be in the band for this tour. He is outstandingly talented and I was looking forward to seeing and hearing him.
2012 Dublin Kilmainham
gaby&paul

Post by gaby&paul »

We missed Dino last night during the first Ghent concert, more and more after each song. We missed his virtuosity, his energy on the right wing of the stage and the diversity of the "instruments of wings", that emphasized the special character of every song. He is great in "painting with sounds", and we gladly remember him sometimes using loud and jazzy colours and sometimes smooth and subtle strokes, always perfectly integrated in Leonard´s masterpieces. We are very sorry that he had to step aside. :(
2008: Munich, Frankfurt, London RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Chicago (2x), Cologne, Madrid. 2010: Wiesbaden, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Las Vegas. 2012: Ghent, Paris. 2013: Vienna.
zbigp

Post by zbigp »

It sounds like a kind of Klezmer sound is the new direction. Fine, but is it really new? Exciting?
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Let's be clear: there are many, many forum members who have heard the "new" sound in Ghent - and LOVE IT!! It is not Klezmer at all - nothing like it - but the fiddle adds a completely new dimension and, I think, creates new artistic opportunities for Leonard. I wish Dino well but I did not miss him at all at the two concerts I have attended so far. There is a great rapport between Mitch, Alex and Javier on the right hand side of the stage and the band are incredibly tight after their weeks and months of rehearsing together. No one need fear that the concerts will have lost anything without Dino. Keep an open mind and you will love it.

Wendy
ritibima

Post by ritibima »

I only saw the you tubes and must say
with Dino was The sound better, I miss the Sax and the other instruments of wind.
Not to say of the solos of Dino with his great performances.
Sorry, thats my opinion.
I hope he will come back soon!.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

In Fact, as we have heard the News, we really don't want to believe it...
But as sad it must be for Dino (we really would like to see him with the UHTC): maybe the Sound is goin' in another direction.
And as far as we have heard (and see from the youtube-clips), the Sound is very different...
I do really like it. Music, as well as any artisting performances, lifes from changing the Arrangements... that's the Way it is!
As one Lady wrote before: if LC will be touring alone, I will be there... and I am sure, I would not be the only one in the Audience!
So let us be open for this new direction!
I am sure, that Dino will be on Stage with LC in a view Weeks!

Susanne + Uwe, Switzerland
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Whilst agreeing with Wendy and her last post, I would also like to add that this is not new to many people who have seen LC in concert over a good number of years. What was new to many was Dino soldo in the last tour and I for one was not too sure that it was that beneficial to LC's music. Having said that, I think Dino is very talented indeed of that there can be no doubt but personally, I preferred LC in concert with the type of band he has now.

Looking at the chaps, Alexandru, Mitch and Javier standing on the right, it seems to be almost a gypsy kind of feel watching them all smiling and playing so well together. In a small way, it seems a step back to The Army days ;-) Both of us are looking forward to seeing this tour and new arrangements live.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Vicomte wrote:Whilst agreeing with Wendy and her last post, I would also like to add that this is not new to many people who have seen LC in concert over a good number of years. What was new to many was Dino soldo in the last tour .....

Looking at the chaps, Alexandru, Mitch and Javier standing on the right, it seems to be almost a gypsy kind of feel watching them all smiling and playing so well together. In a small way, it seems a step back to The Army days ;-)
I would have agreed with your comment before the concerts Vicomte but not so much now. I was expecting a more gypsy / Eastern European / Greek feel as per many of the older tours (and yes, I was there!) but, having been to 2 shows in the new tour, it's not as apparent as I expected beforehand. Maybe the sound will head more in that direction as time goes on? Anyway, you can judge for yourself.

Wendy
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland »

We will be in Gent tomorrow and at concert on friday and saturday. DINO MISSING-news were really a big disappointment! Of course LC is most important!! When we were waiting for the last tour, I was wondering if there is any life without Perla and Julie, but without DINO I am not going to wonder or wish anything!! Because of fans and especially because of Leonard himself: Please Leonard, ASK DINO BACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
ncb

Post by ncb »

I really liked Dino's contribution to the music but ...oh dear, I sound like the man who spoke to us in the interval of Tuesday's concert that, after a couple of minutes said "I am not a racist but"...anyway, things have changed in the the way Mr C wants to augment his songs, who am I to disagree? To the person who held up a small banner saying "Free Dino" , assuming that she wasn't a legal representative arguing some contractual point, I understand the sentiment but we should note that he is free. Other recent gigs I've been to have banners requesting the freedom of Pussy Riot.
Back to Dino, the king is dead, long live the king.
1979 Brighton ; 2009 Leon, Palma, Madrid ; 2010 Stockholm, Göteborg, Gent 2x, Lille ; 2012 Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin, Paris ; 2013 Manchester, Leeds
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

the person who held up a small banner saying "Free Dino"
:lol: :lol: That's awesome!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by 1000-kissesdeep »

Please could some one post a link of the new sounds that you refer to. many thanks! And any more comments about it from those who have experienced the new tour so far :)
1000-kissesdeep

Post by 1000-kissesdeep »

I just found the link in the thread for a video, sorry guys, i am new to how the forum works and not scrolled back long enough! Well, yes, as listeners it comes down to personal preference, which is why we list to what we listen and why we all prefer differenct musicians, singers, writers, performers and buy what we buy; and thats what makes this world a colourful, dynamic, interesting and challenging place to live :) I personally prefer the wings of winds, as I have always prefered wind sounds than violin, and i loved the description by Gabi and Paul. I am new to our dear and respected Leonard and although I have a few of his new and old albums so far I do enjoy the latter sounds with dino and Javier Mass part of the band, I agree with Gabi and Paul that Dino adds character to each song, which is really special indeed, i dont think a violin can do that. Watching the video though, I enjoyed respected Leonards response to the violin; he seems to really like and enjoy the sound, and to be honest the reason I love dear Leonard so much is the joy in him, its beautiful and to watch him on stage is what will fill my soul with blessings so, although i anticipate I will not enjoy the backing sounds as much - perhaps it will make me feel like dancing more though, if anyone wants to join me - the advantage of standing rather than seated tickets :) - I am really looking forward to my first LC concert :) :) :) See some of you there, and please come dance with me to the end of love! (Do fans do this at concerts? Some of LC's songs really make me want to dance, and to be with so many people who may feel the same, the deep rythmn of the soul of the music, I imagine it hard to keep still!??) The new violin sounds really barn dance style also! We will see! (AND... Thank you for the post from respected Leonard re Dino, touching.)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

1000-kissesdeep wrote:...perhaps it will make me feel like dancing more though, if anyone wants to join me - the advantage of standing rather than seated tickets
I am a tireless opponent of standing concerts...um... some of us can not stand even for a short time or at all.
I recently communicated with a lovely Cohenite lady in Norway who is forced to go to another country to see a Leonard Cohen concert. LC is doing two concerts in her own country but the concerts are both standing. Unfortunately, she is unable to stand.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”