Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
gaby&paul

Re: Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Post by gaby&paul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Thank you so much Marsha, we deeply agree with your post. You expressed exactly what we feel after having attended two concerts with the new band line-up. Meanwhile we think it is intended that the band is more subdued.
2008: Munich, Frankfurt, London RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Chicago (2x), Cologne, Madrid. 2010: Wiesbaden, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Las Vegas. 2012: Ghent, Paris. 2013: Vienna.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 am

There have been four posts after mine which is about Dino not being in the band. Except for the first post right after mine the other three have been about people making comments that really don't have anything to do with that. Let's get back on point and express our thoughts about Dino not being in the band.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 am

Well said, Marsha. The moderators have received several complaints about some of the contents of this topic. This thread is supposed to be about Dino's role in the tour band.
Therefore I have moved all messages that deal more with forum posting policies than Dino to a separate thread "Comments on Forum Posting" at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32903
Both threads are now available for those who'd like to comment on one of these topics, or both.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

My view is that Dino seemed like a nice guy but not my type particularly (a bit showy) and the sax is an instrument associated with (and to some extent limited by its association with) the Jazz era to which Leonard Cohen's music does not particularly belong.

I guess in a nutshell, I'd say Dino brought a showbiz and razzamatazz element to LC shows that, whilst not so distracting from the main event it detracted from the enjoyment, I would be quite happy to live without. But then if that's your bag, he's certainly a talented musician and probably a lovely guy.

I haven't heard the current touring line-up (I hope that one day, god or whoever willing, I might have the opportunity), but am not particularly saddened it no longer includes Dino.

Postscript: I should have added that I'm surprised there is no similar thread bemaoning the absence of Bob Metzger from the current touring line-up. But then I'm more of a guitar and other-stringed-instrument kind of a guy, and also, like him, neither young nor bouncy (except when my 2 year old insists that I get my old pogoing techniques back out to "dance" with her around the house - that is, most of each non-working day and several times at night!)
Last edited by UrPal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mirka

Post by mirka » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:54 pm

friscogrl wrote: [...]
But the main thing I missed was Dino's energy,it radiated from stage right to the whole band and it was infectious.
[...]
Marsha
This is exactly what I've noticed instantly watching YT clips with the new band line-up.
LC has another vision for his band now :( :(
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I have just watched the first video footage I've actually bothered to of the current tour and was mightily impressed.

It occurred to me as I watched the performance and video in question that the answer to some of the concerns raised by this thread are answered about 5:30 mins in to the video in question, and perhaps more by the images than the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1MYvJ7PUs
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:18 pm

UrPal wrote:
Postscript: I should have added that I'm surprised there is no similar thread bemoaning the absence of Bob Metzger from the current touring line-up.
There is,UrPal, a Bob Metzger thread, over on Comments and Questions, which few members notice any more... a pity. Perhaps you would like to post there?
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for directing me elsewhere - in the more pleasant sense :D

I have now posted my good wishes to Bob on the other (rather briefer) thread. I had missed that one - I tend to be an erratic visitor here, so if it's not caught by the "new posts" radar then it may as well not exist for me.

This one seems to keep bobbing up though (no pun intended in either of the Metzger or "Banjo" Soldo alternative possibilities suggested).
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 pm

friscogrl wrote:When I first read the announcement that Dino would not be in the I was very surprised, I just assumed he would be especially since Leonard had early on said this band was the only one he would have. But I was curious to hear this new sound that was being touted and even by Dino himself.

So I watched a few videos from the current tour and quickly formed an opinion. I then stopped watching the videos because
I knew I would be seeing Leonard and the band fairly soon in Verona. I had decided I would keep an open mind and try to be as objective as I could. I was actually looking forward to hearing the violin and seeing how this instrument would be incorporated into the songs.

Now I was not a huge Dino fan, I did not need to have seats over on the Dino and Javier side. And I at times thought he could be a bit over the top but I admired his musicianship. This being said I was surprised at how much I missed Dino being in the band. And this is not a violin versus saxophone thing, it is much more than that. I think the violin is a great addition to some of the songs but not all of them. I do not think one instrument with a such a distinctive sound should have replaced Dino. He played many instruments that could produce many different sounds and to my ear he sounded good in any song. I am sorry to say that I still feel that he seemed bored - complete opposite of LC's demeanor when he is not actively singing.

But the main thing I missed was Dino's energy,it radiated from stage right to the whole band and it was infectious. The band was tight and they all seemed to enjoy themselves. In Verona I looked to the right stage and saw three guys sitting in chairs except for the solos of these three not much going on. They have about as much energy as a chamber music ensemble and there is definitely to me no chemistry between them. A wink, smile and a nod does not make chemistry.

Someone said to me in Verona that Alex would come into his own. I think what we see is who he is. Verona was the 24 th concert and I don't really see him Changing much. This is who he is which is fine but with Mitch also being mild mannered and with them sitting in theirs chairs I find them bland. I also look over to the Sharon and the Webbs and they now seem more subdued. Maybe this is the plan.

I was told that I need to respect Leonard and not question his decision to make changes. And also just because something is different doesn't mean it can't be as good as before. Well I have nothing but complete and utter respect for Leonard as an artist and a person. No other artist has affected me so much with their music, words and humility as Leonard. I think most of here admire Leonard's awareness of his humanity. I don't think he wants us to blindly accept everything he does without us forming our own opinions. And hopefully he would accept that not all us will like some of the changes that were made.

I was happy to see Leonard in Verona but out of the 15 concerts I have seen this was my least favorite and for the reasons I listed.

Marsha
I have said that I would not comment on this until I have seen a live performance. As good as videos are (thank you Albert), they do not compare to a live performance.

At intermission, I made the comment that when Alex was not playing, he seemed bored. It was wonderfully explained to me, that being the serious musician that he is, he may come across that way. I took this to heart and paid even more attention to his piercingly, aching, and beautiful sound. Then I paid attention to his 'silent' moments and it saddens me to say that those times were spent looking out into the audience, tapping his bow on his monitor, and adjusting/picking lint off his clothes. He did not seem to be involved with the beauty of the sound or the words that were transpiring on stage.

As I sat here, catching up on this thread and wondering how to say what I feel about Dino's absence, you have said it all for me, Marsha! THANK YOU!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
margaret

Post by margaret » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 pm

UrPal wrote:I have just watched the first video footage I've actually bothered to of the current tour and was mightily impressed.

It occurred to me as I watched the performance and video in question that the answer to some of the concerns raised by this thread are answered about 5:30 mins in to the video in question, and perhaps more by the images than the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1MYvJ7PUs
Leonard indeed appears to be transported by the beauty of the violin played by Alex. I love the sound of a saxophone, but I go to these concerts primarily to see Leonard and trust him to choose the best combination of musicians to compliment his songs. OK, Alex may look serious and not the happy clappy performer Dino was, but I am loving the sound he makes.
TonVH

Post by TonVH » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:21 pm

margaret wrote:Leonard indeed appears to be transported by the beauty of the violin played by Alex. I love the sound of a saxophone, but I go to these concerts primarily to see Leonard and trust him to choose the best combination of musicians to compliment his songs. OK, Alex may look serious and not the happy clappy performer Dino was, but I am loving the sound he makes.
I agree 100% on that.
brightnow

Post by brightnow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 am

TonVH wrote:
margaret wrote:Leonard indeed appears to be transported by the beauty of the violin played by Alex. I love the sound of a saxophone, but I go to these concerts primarily to see Leonard and trust him to choose the best combination of musicians to compliment his songs. OK, Alex may look serious and not the happy clappy performer Dino was, but I am loving the sound he makes.
I agree 100% on that.
Ditto!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:09 am

I've been back from Verona for almost a week and have been spending a lot of time thinking about my trip. What a wonderful city and what a fantastic venue for the concert!

I had watched a few Youtube videos before going to Verona but tried to keep an open mind about the changes to the band and also the new arrangements.

There were several high points in the concert for me. Come Healing IMHO is one of the most beautiful songs Leonard has written and I was delighted that he sang it in Verona. Also Night Comes On was absolutely wonderful.

My overall feeling after the concert was that the addition of the violin worked well for the new songs but there were an awful lot of others that seemed to be really flat without Dino’s contribution (First We Take Manhattan and Waiting For the Miracle immediately come to mind). There just didn't seem to be the same energy and vitality on stage that I had enjoyed and been caught up in during the last tour.

It will be interesting to see if any changes are made for the North American leg of the tour.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
martali

Post by martali » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Maybe someone will enjoy the new Dino Soldo's album while he isn't in the tour band :-)
Dear Listener;
On the night of July 1st, I came home to an empty house; The family went to visit Germany. My work plans took an unexpected change and I had plenty of time on my hands. As usual, with free time brings more writing opportunity......
http://dinosoldo.bandcamp.com/
Attachments
Long Quiet Weekend by Dino Soldo.jpg
mirka

Post by mirka » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:30 pm

martali wrote:Maybe someone will enjoy the new Dino Soldo's album while he isn't in the tour band.
http://dinosoldo.bandcamp.com/

Dino sings about being "stabbed in the back" and being hurt, not good:
http://dinosoldo.bandcamp.com/track/arrows

Lyrics to the remaining songs aren't happy either.
What a sad end...
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”