Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
FanForLife

Re: Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Post by FanForLife » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 pm

I didn't comment on this previously, but having seen the band here are my thoughts. This, like the rest of this 10 page thread is pure conjecture of course.

It strikes me that Dino, who is obviously a very talented musician and has a very strong stage presence, is probably difficult to cohesively integrate into a band. He always appeared to stand out (apart ?) from the rest of the band. Many of the parts he played are now played by Alex, who is also very accomplished. The first difference I see is that Alex could step forward for a solo and his music featured for a moment, whereas on at least some of the occasions when Dino was leading, because of his strong presence, it was Dino himself who featured. Secondly, Alex formed a cohesive unit many times with Mitch and to a lesser extent Jaiver, the three really sparking off each other. This never really happened with Dino. So I'm guessing that it was an artistic decision, with the objective of achieving a better balance on stage. And I think this was successful. 

I feel compelled to say I loved Dino's solos, I greatly admire his talent and skill, and I'm not in any way implying that this was done because Cohen felt threatened or jealous or that Dino was a Prima Donna. 

Is this a better line up ? It is certainly different. I for one enjoyed both. Previously I looked forward to Dino's solos and some of his quirks. Last night I enjoyed Alex's playing, the combined sound that he and Mitch produced, and the Klezmer like sound he brings to the production. I enjoyed both; on balance, in terms of the overall sound, I would probably opt for the new, and think it will be even more exciting once Alex settles in. But that is just my entirely subjective preference. And having said all of that I really feel for Dino who had to accept being stood down at the last moment. I'm sure that it was a huge blow.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Zimmer

Post by Zimmer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 am

Just back from the Dublin show. Although I liked Dino on previous gigs, have to say I loved the Alex / Mitch combination tonight.
IMM

Post by IMM » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 am

FanForLife wrote:And having said all of that I really feel for Dino who had to accept being stood down at the last moment. I'm sure that it was a huge blow.
It may have been a blow - but I can't help thinking that gigs like the 3 yr. well organized tour, which he helped bring about, are a rare thing in the business - I still consider him one of the lucky ones.
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 pm

I thought Dino was a good musician but his "look at me stuff "didn't endear him to me...the new guy on the fiddle is class
Päivi from Finland

Re: Dino not in the band

Post by Päivi from Finland » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 am

tomsakic wrote:My ticket say "Leonard Cohen". Not "Leonard Cohen and the band" nor "Leonard Cohen and the Unified Heart Touring Company". Plain and simply "Leonard Cohen". Leonard Cohen does not have a band, he has hired session musicians. The best in the world, of course:)
Dear friend! Are You alive or only dreaming of Leonard Cohen?! Did You forget something? Of course Leonard makes his music and we all go to listen to him! But HIRED MUSICIANS sounds like You were neglecting Sharon, Hattie, Charlie, Neil, Roscoe, Rafael, Alex, Mitch, Bob or DINO!!! Are they really hired like a hired car withh navigator from for example Hertz, Europcar or Budget??!! Unbeliavable!! I really don't want to hire any of those perfect musicians! Neither do I want to hire Dino. I simply ask him back to the band!

Dino back, please!

asks Päivi
1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
ritibima

Post by ritibima » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 am

Well spoken Päivi.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:39 am

jammymulligan wrote:I thought Dino was a good musician but his "look at me stuff "didn't endear him to me...the new guy on the fiddle is class
Wouldn't it be good to have both ?
Also agree with Paivi that calling the band ' hired musicians ' sets completely the wrong tone .The appropriate tone is set by leonard himself as he introduces them and bows to them with enormous respect , even reverence , night after might :D :)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
dtonerisarugbygod

Post by dtonerisarugbygod » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Dino we missed you in dublin and hope to see you again soon with the band.
2008 - Dublin(2)
2009 - Dublin(2) Belfast
2012 - Dublin(4)
Albert

Post by Albert » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:03 pm

I might be one of the few ,who is quite bit disappointed with this tour Of course managementwise,worst management ever since
I saw Cohen first in 1974. After the successful 2008-2010 tour , I hoped very much for a more puristic approach kind of back to the
roots ,more intimate arrangements and less musicians.More power to the lyrics.
Baasically it is sold as a Leonard Cohen Tour ,but there are way to long soli,too much Webb and Robinson.
Sure,this is a matter of taste,but I strongly dislike the new violin, he is overdoing,playing way too many notes,
and is close to ruining these beautiful songs.
If next years tour is the same band ,the same bad openairs,the same ticket prices,I go and see one show,to salute Mr Cohen,
and that´ll be it.
call the shots

Post by call the shots » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:49 pm

dino was indeed missed and will hopefully be returning. the webb sisters vocals add to the beauty of cohens songs and hopefully they will be on all future cohen tours.
harald

Post by harald » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Sorry, dear Albert,
I do not want to leave your statement without opposition.

I have been to 2 concerts this year so far and will go to 4 more, and I´ve seen some of the 2008-2010 concerts.
While I see the management had to deal with some problems - and so had fans and ticket purchasers - in the over all view they do a good job.
About the stile of the performances, that is as you rightly say a matter of individual taste.
But first it is the artist´s right and duty to decide!!!
Like yourself I am very much into the lyrics of Mr. Cohen.
But I do like the way Mr. Cohen and the group have arranged them and are performing them.
Personally I think the violin fits very well with Mr. Cohen´s songs.
They are performing between 3 and 4 hours each concert. I would not ask that Mr. Cohen takes this effort mainly alone.
I like the openair venues. You get a very special and each time different atmosphere.
And last, about prices, I thinks these unique evenings are well worth the high ticket prices.

It was your opinion you contributed, and you have every right to it. I just wanted to say there are also others, like mine, overwhelmed by the concerts Mr. Cohen and band deliver.
Best,
harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 pm

call the shots wrote:dino was indeed missed and will hopefully be returning.
I wouldn't hold your breath .....

Wendy
Albert

Post by Albert » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 pm

@ Harald

Your statement is okay ,but I wonder ,if you have been to Mönchengladbach,the worst Cohen
experience , i ever had.
I had a ticket for second row , and was like a mile from the stage away.

Surrounded by people ,who needed most of the first set to find their seats .

And think about the following :
This was the first tour ever ,where is was NOT in Cohens control ,when the concert ended.
That curfew stuff.
At least for me ,this is barely acceptable and left a very bad taste in my mouth,at least in berlin.
If you like it like this ,this is fine with me,but I have problems with this.
Of course ,Cohen was in fine form,but many things in this tour were not okay ,venue changes ,
date changes etc.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 pm

:lol:

You should have been at the Isle of Wight in the Summer of 1970, not so much a curfew but an extremely long wait for anyone who wanted to listen to LC and the Army ;-)

Anyway, how does LC decide, or not on a curfew, surely these things are decided in advance by others, not personally by LC?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Hartmut

AW: Re: Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Post by Hartmut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 am

Albert wrote:This was the first tour ever ,where is was NOT in Cohens control ,when the concert ended.
That curfew stuff.
There were curfews during the 2008-2010 tour as well.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”