When are the next dates and places?

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
John Etherington

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Post by John Etherington » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 am

Obsession is running riot, here....Who would have ever thought in 1969 or even 1985 that there would be talk of jet-setting clubs following Leonard Cohen around the world?! All I want to hear is that there will be one London concert, where I can take someone to see him who hasn't seen him before (and not some bloody outdoor gig!).
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:08 am

I admit it does seem quite bizarre that would have been talked about in the past but surely even later, John? In fact, perhaps you could put it almost up until the latest tour started in 2008?

Maybe it might make a good thread to discuss as to when people think L.C got so popular, in terms of the numbers of concerts he can now play and generally fill those "arenas"?

As to what point this "adulation" started, maybe Hallelujah and its huge TV presence by way of the "find me a pop star and me even richer" type of show? I would be interested as to when you and others think this all started and when fans of LC and were willing to pay out pots of money to follow him around a country, often the World.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Well he hadn't toured for 15 years prior to 2008, so there was a fair amount of time there to build up demand! It would have been a bit odd in the 70s given how often he was on the road. I know I got excited for the 2008 tour as I'm too young to have seen him live before, and had always assumed since I became a fan (c.2001) that I would never get to see him perform. I must admit though I'd give anything to have seen him in an intimate 70s gig rather than the stadium fillers we have today, but I'll take what I can get!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm

John Etherington wrote:Obsession is running riot, here....Who would have ever thought in 1969 or even 1985 that there would be talk of jet-setting clubs following Leonard Cohen around the world?! All I want to hear is that there will be one London concert, where I can take someone to see him who hasn't seen him before (and not some bloody outdoor gig!).
I so agree with you John. I have a daughter who is in a wheelchair due to a spinal injury. The latter concerts she managed the 02 twice and Brighton, but anywhere else for her would be difficult.
She has been a fan since 1972, was at The Isle of Wight and The Albert hall in the previous years, All she would like now, is to know he will be in London, just one more time.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
scot10

Post by scot10 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:19 pm

lightasabreeze wrote:
John Etherington wrote:Obsession is running riot, here....Who would have ever thought in 1969 or even 1985 that there would be talk of jet-setting clubs following Leonard Cohen around the world?! All I want to hear is that there will be one London concert, where I can take someone to see him who hasn't seen him before (and not some bloody outdoor gig!).
I so agree with you John. I have a daughter who is in a wheelchair due to a spinal injury. The latter concerts she managed the 02 twice and Brighton, but anywhere else for her would be difficult.
She has been a fan since 1972, was at The Isle of Wight and The Albert hall in the previous years, All she would like now, is to know he will be in London, just one more time.
Don't forget us up in (maybe soon to be independent) Scotland. A trip to London is never inexpensive so I'm hoping Lenny does a show up here again. The ones at Edinburgh Castle and The Clyde Auditoreum in 08 were fantastic.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Is there any hope for Budapest? Even tentative hope
The only cities in Eastern Europe have already been mentioned on the official site and copied in some messages here (but removed from leonardcohen.com because those are not confirmed yet). No other cities in the area in the tentative list, but we cannot know whether or not it will be final.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the comments above...

Lightasabreeze - I hope you and your daughter get to see Leonard again, and (Scot10) hope there's a show in Scotland. Also hope that Jim Devlin (and Gina if she's around) get one in Manchester.

Vicomte - I think it's pretty clear why Leonard "fandom" started in 2008 - first with "Hallelujah" then with the rich following him around the world. It seems to be a spiritual lack in people's lives; projecting onto the man rather than the message and the music. When Leonard was a voice for the counterculture in the 70s, people were generally happy to go quietly to one or two concerts. What next? Maybe Leonard at the Vatican giving the papal blessing to the adoring hordes?
Last edited by John Etherington on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:07 pm

John Etherington wrote:It seems to be a spiritual lack in people's lives, and projecting onto the man rather than the message and the music
That's rather patronising.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Not really - more a basic truth that is evident when an artist starts being treated more like a pop idol or a football team! :D
jeremek

...and Poland ?

Post by jeremek » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Niestety, tym razem, na koncertowej mapie artysty zabrakło Polski = Unfortunately, this time, on the concert map of the artist Poland was missing.

http://muzyka.dziennik.pl/news/artykuly ... olska.html

Leonard Cohen has announced the date of the first concerts to be held in fourteen European cities. The tour in 2012, Cohen will visit Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, France, Spain and Portugal. Unfortunately, this time, the concert lacked Polish artist map.
The first performance of Ghent is scheduled for 12 August, and the last will be held on 7 October in Lisbon. In the meantime, Cohen will perform for their fans, among others in Copenhagen, Helsinki, Berlin, Dublin, Verona, Barcelona and Paris three times. The second part of the tour "Old Ideas," which will cover North America, announced the fall.
The tour will promote the first album in eight years Studio 77-year-old Leonard Cohen's "Old Ideas," which went to the sale of January 30 this year.
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
da2008

Post by da2008 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:43 pm

"it's not the band I hate, it's the fans"
istanbul

PLEASE TO ISTANBUL

Post by istanbul » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Two days ago a concert in İstanbul was announced in this website. But the same day it was deleted. We were celebrating the concert news here :( Will there be a concert in İstanbul???? Please come, everybody is waiting here!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:29 pm

John Etherington wrote:... not some bloody outdoor gig!
I'm with you on that one, John. I feel the same negativity about outdoor concerts.
However, from all the articles and posts I have read over the last few years, it seems that LC prefers outdoor gigs.
So his promoters get them for him.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Arlene - That's odd because someone told me that on his 2008 tour Leonard had advised them to wait for the indoor shows! Surely outdoor shows with an ongoing wet weather risk cannot be good for Leonard as he approaches 80. Didn't he catch a cold after Weybridge?
majmunka

Post by majmunka » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 pm

jarkko wrote:The only cities in Eastern Europe have already been mentioned on the official site and copied in some messages here (but removed from leonardcohen.com because those are not confirmed yet). No other cities in the area in the tentative list, but we cannot know whether or not it will be final.
Thanks for the information, Jarkko. Maybe next time we'll have more luck :)
I'm so grateful for the tour anyway, can't wait this wonderful summer and autumn to come.
And I appreciate all your help and work with the presales. <3
Eva

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”