When are the next dates and places?

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
stargazer61
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:36 am

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby stargazer61 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:40 pm

John Etherington wrote:I'm beginning to feel somewhat concerned again for the man at the centre of all this, and whether he's able to maintain his invincibility!

I think I understand your concerns but there does seem to be several factors in play. The tours have been received with overwhelming appreciation and joy from each and every audience, and I think this is in evidence from his reaction to the audience. Simply, LC is loving it! A writer, a poet, and a singer who, in his advancing years, can still move an audience - almost his reason for being. He feels the reaction from fans. The need to boost his pension fund has long gone.

I once went to see Leo Ferre in Paris when he was a similar age to LC- and was still touring (albeit not worldwide). When he first came on the stage, it was as an old man, arthritic and stiff. Three hours later, he was bestriding his world as the audience raised the roof after each and every song. It was if he was soaking up the life force from all those there and growing with it. From where I was sitting, I could see his wife in the wings, trying to call him off the stage, to no avail. I see something similar in LC.

Many of us here are aware of our own mortality. What should we do? Grow old gracefully, or leave our friends and family agog as we rush out of the door shouting 'I'm off to Barcelona, New York, Cracow, etc for a couple of days', and bundle ourselves onto cheap flights and into 'interesting' hotels because they are near the venue. We do it because we want to and because we still can. And, I think that pertains to LC as well. He is well looked after and protected on tour and has a huge inner strength and discipline. As I said above, he is loving it and making the most of life. If, at any point he felt that too much was being asked of him, then he would stop. Hope that makes sense!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
da2008
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby da2008 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 pm

The trolling on this board is something else.
John Etherington
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby John Etherington » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Stargazer,

What you say here, puts into words what I largely believe (or at least what I like to think) is true, and I hope continues to be so. However, a number of people are clearly making a lot of money from this tour, so I would hate to see Leonard pushed beyond his limits. Maybe he knows exactly what he's undertaking, but I do wonder sometimes, when the tour appears to be partially made up as it goes along...another couple of Ghents here, another couple of Dublins there, maybe another Hop Farm? Anyway, I certainly hope that Leonard's voice holds out. There did seem to be moments when he seemed a little tired during the last tour...for example, the first Royal Albert Hall (straight after a couple of O2s). You can also see a couple of venues on the "On the Road" video, where touring seems to be taking its toll. I had similar fears for Brian Wilson (a more fragile figure) when he started touring again at 59, but he's been doing it pretty relentlessly for the last decade - so it can be done. Strange really that Leonard has taken to life on the road in a similar way to Dylan in his later years. I always thought that Leonard's ability to retreat and live a life between albums and tours enhanced the quality of his work. Nonetheless, he hasn't done too badly with "Old Ideas"!

All good things, John E
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
User avatar
Caren
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby Caren » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 pm

jarkko wrote:New concerts are announced only after everything has been nailed and contracts signed. A long tour like this is constantly under construction, and tentative days are being added and others removed. That's why some concerts are announced later than the others. It's a misconception to think that this is done to sell more tickets at our presales. The total number of tickets for each concert is usually between 5000 and 15000. If we sell some hundred tickets to a concert, it's next to nothing from the local organizer's point of view. They could easily sell those best seats at even higher prices to local nobs. The presales are something extra, and are happening only because Leonard and Robert wanted to give us this privilege. For AEG and the tour management (not to mention ourselves!) this arrangement only brings extra work.

I earlier mentioned that putting up a tour is like giant puzzle - there are a lot of pieces (local organizers in almost every country) who'd like to be a part of the game, but every piece that will be used has to be suitable for the big picture. One of the main issues is logistics - the distance between the cities is essential (one-night drive for the equipment trucks is ideal).

I think the reason why only Hop Farm is included in the UK this year is pretty simple. If everything goes well and the tour will continue next year, UK will be generously treated.

The Monday announcement is for Central Europeans who want to combine some Olympic surroundings with Leonard's concert ;-)
Thank you for pointing this out once again, Jarkko. Everything you do is much appreciated.
Looking forward to Monday's announcement.
Best, Caren
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
harald
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby harald » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Yes, THANK YOU JARKKO AND ALL INVOLVED
for the presales and for a lot of things more!
harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
User avatar
basecamp
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:52 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby basecamp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Caren wrote:
jarkko wrote:New concerts are announced only after everything has been nailed and contracts signed. A long tour like this is constantly under construction, and tentative days are being added and others removed. That's why some concerts are announced later than the others. It's a misconception to think that this is done to sell more tickets at our presales. The total number of tickets for each concert is usually between 5000 and 15000. If we sell some hundred tickets to a concert, it's next to nothing from the local organizer's point of view. They could easily sell those best seats at even higher prices to local nobs. The presales are something extra, and are happening only because Leonard and Robert wanted to give us this privilege. For AEG and the tour management (not to mention ourselves!) this arrangement only brings extra work.

I earlier mentioned that putting up a tour is like giant puzzle - there are a lot of pieces (local organizers in almost every country) who'd like to be a part of the game, but every piece that will be used has to be suitable for the big picture. One of the main issues is logistics - the distance between the cities is essential (one-night drive for the equipment trucks is ideal).

I think the reason why only Hop Farm is included in the UK this year is pretty simple. If everything goes well and the tour will continue next year, UK will be generously treated.

The Monday announcement is for Central Europeans who want to combine some Olympic surroundings with Leonard's concert ;-)
Thank you for pointing this out once again, Jarkko. Everything you do is much appreciated.
Looking forward to Monday's announcement.
Best, Caren
I second every word! Thanks for everything!
- Hans
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
User avatar
Maarten
Posts: 1415
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:31 am
Location: Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
Contact:

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby Maarten » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Maarten wrote:
gallina wrote:
jarkko wrote:We will be able to announce a new city on Monday, with presale on Wednesday.
So new city, not a new concert in an old city? :D
Nope, definitely a new city too... :-)

Maarten
Hi,
I've been notified by one of our forum members that 1 of the concerts that will be announced early next week, is already mentioned somewhere on the internet... Just like the Dublin concerts, the organizers had the apply for a "permit" through the local city administration... So if you google the right words, you might be able to find out more... Of course it would be helpful if you could google the right words (eg Leonard Cohen + ....) in the right language... You might want to try and include a couple of big cities in the search...

:-)

Happy hunting!


Maarten

*** Edit: D-mn, I'm really starting to sound like Jarkko...! ***

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
User avatar
mutti
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 am
Location: somewhere in the Pacific Northwest

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby mutti » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:30 pm

I love it Maarten! You definitely are starting to sound like Jarkko.
There is a great game on the forum 'Guess the City' and those on their are brilliant at how fast they find the answers.
I searched for the newest city in Central Europe and am stumped.
Here is my guess
Bratislavia...
Keep those hints coming..ha ha
Cheers!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
coolfadda
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:36 am

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby coolfadda » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:34 pm

ok.... My guess is Istanbul... not a new city but new to list.. :D
User avatar
drsing
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby drsing » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:26 pm

What about a free front row ticket for the winner? :razz:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
User avatar
Mabeanie1
Posts: 2721
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:03 am
Location: UK

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:34 pm

stargazer61 wrote:Many of us here are aware of our own mortality. What should we do? Grow old gracefully, or leave our friends and family agog as we rush out of the door shouting 'I'm off to Barcelona, New York, Cracow, etc for a couple of days', and bundle ourselves onto cheap flights and into 'interesting' hotels because they are near the venue. We do it because we want to and because we still can. And, I think that pertains to LC as well. He is well looked after and protected on tour and has a huge inner strength and discipline. As I said above, he is loving it and making the most of life. If, at any point he felt that too much was being asked of him, then he would stop. Hope that makes sense!
Thank you stargazer61 for expressing my feelings so perfectly. I think you are right about Leonard too.

Wendy
ladydi
Posts: 2325
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby ladydi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:06 pm

If it is indeed a new city...perhaps Innsbruck?

*** Nope - Maarten ***
da2008
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby da2008 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Sochi?

*** Nope - Maarten ***
User avatar
Wissmann6
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

AW: When are the next dates and places?

Postby Wissmann6 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I would guess München.

Olympia sourrundings could be at Olympiahalle.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

*** Not Munich either... But the city is somewhere on this page, I believe... That's my final hint... :-) - Maarten ***
2008: Oberhausen, Cardiff / 2009: Detroit, Cologne / 2010: Berlin, Gent, Wiesbaden, Dortmund / 2012: Gent (3x), Mönchengladbach / 2013: Oberhausen, Mannheim
User avatar
mutti
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 am
Location: somewhere in the Pacific Northwest

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Postby mutti » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I think its in a country where I am going to be this May. :lol:
I am 3 months too early so won't be able to attend any European concerts.
No need to answer if you aren't able to say until the announcement but that is my final guess.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest